Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 9:49:48 PM EDT
Looking for awesome gift ideas for my son getting winged in a few weeks. The first officer in the family and I'd like to find something great. He's just about ready to get soft patched and is going rotary wing.

Thanks to you guys for your help in advance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
For a young 0-1, money.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
A model of the aircraft he will be flying.  One of the nicer ones.  I've got a wooden model of my first airframe and a more realistic one of the second airframe.  Both mean a lot to me.  I think squadrontoys OE something like that has them.  

Also I've seen some folks with the pics of the three aircraft they've flown (primary, advanced, and fleet).  I don't have one, but those are nice as well.

Or perhaps a new firearm, that would be my choice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]
A watch that will withstand the G-shock that Marines all plop their aircraft on the gound with.  -3000 VVI, maybe?

Seriously, though, I'd get something with slick wings on it.  Real gold wings made by a jeweler to wear on formal uniform, engraved on back with date pinned, or collector beer mug, etc.  Look at the NEX (Navy/MC version of PX/BX) web site, I bet they have good gift ideas.  If leather jacket had not been issue for AF later in my career, I would have bought one for myself.  I don't know about Marine uni's, just throwing that out there.

Some books about leadership and duty being above and beyond your specialty in the service.

And also seriously, pilots especially young ones, always love watches and sunglasses.  Congratulations

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice tight jeans for playing volleyball in?    

How about a nice camera he can take flying?  In accordance with NATOPS or whatever.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch or $ towards one if he's into the luxury watch thing (most guys I know are)
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A watch that will withstand the G-shock that Marines all plop their aircraft on the gound with.  -3000 VVI, maybe?

Seriously, though, I'd get something with slick wings on it.  Real gold wings made by a jeweler to wear on formal uniform, engraved on back with date pinned, or collector beer mug, etc.  Look at the NEX (Navy/MC version of PX/BX) web site, I bet they have good gift ideas.  If leather jacket had not been issue for AF later in my career, I would have bought one for myself.  I don't know about Marine uni's, just throwing that out there.

Some books about leadership and duty being above and beyond your specialty in the service.

And also seriously, pilots especially young ones, always love watches and sunglasses.  Congratulations

View Quote

You get issued a brown G-1 jacket, they are awesome.  I know some guys that like them so much they've bought an extra.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know what type of helo he's going to fly, but as a USMC AH-1 pilot for the last 5 years, I now always recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-01629-Black-Infantry-4-8-Inch/dp/B000E3QUB6

Why?  My buddies wife (he flies Huey's) asked what to get him as a gift for his birthday, and I recommend that thing.  He deployed with it to AFG, and during a night insert, the other guy crashed the bird.  He used that knife to (1) Break the windscreen so that he and his copilot could get out of the bird (knife has a window breaker on the heal), and (2) used that knife to dig out two SOF guys who had been partially pinned/buried under the bird.  I've had enough buddies that crash birds where they had to cut themselves out that a good dependable knife is an absolute necessity.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#9]
If he doesn't already have one, an officer's sword with his name engraved in it.

If not, then a good survival/combat knife that he can carry in his flight suit.

Forget the watch; the Corps will give him one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#10]
As a former navy pilot, I would go with the real gold wings. They will be with him forever.
Everything else is temporary.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
When did they start issuing watches?  I flew USMC for a bit and never got one.

Quoted:
If he doesn't already have one, an officer's sword with his name engraved in it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Best idea here.  Squadrontoys can make them with unit patch on the base and accurate markings on the aircraft.  So... you might make the promise of a model now and then order it once he is assigned to his fleet squadron.

Quoted:
A model of the aircraft he will be flying.  One of the nicer ones.  I've got a wooden model of my first airframe and a more realistic one of the second airframe.  Both mean a lot to me.  I think squadrontoys OE something like that has them.  

Also I've seen some folks with the pics of the three aircraft they've flown (primary, advanced, and fleet).  I don't have one, but those are nice as well.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#13]
wood model replica of his newly assigned bird.

http://www.scalecraft.com/usmarinecorps.aspx

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#14]
He's a freshly minted Marine aviator?  

They could save his life someday.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got mine when I graduated SNCO School... I thought officer's got'em for showing up on time for PT.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I still have mine,

I wouldn't give him one of those models. They're nice, but he'll be moving frequently, and even if it doesn't get ruined, it'll be a pain in the ass,
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I still have mine,

I wouldn't give him one of those models. They're nice, but he'll be moving frequently, and even if it doesn't get ruined, it'll be a pain in the ass,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I still have mine,

I still have my issue wind-up watch with the radioactive glow-in-the-dark paint.  It loses 30 minutes/day, but by God, you can read by the thing at night.  It would be terrible to use with NVGs.  Even has a serial number on it.  I guess they were so crappy and outdated that supply didn't want it back during final outprocessing.  Good momento, though.

I would have to agree about the models.  Those are good retirement/PCS gifts; like you say, he'll have to move them himself to keep the moving gorillas from ripping them to shreds during a change of station.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I think my first model has been through 7 moves maybe more.  The second I got after my last PCS.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#20]
GoPro
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Needs more italics. For emphasis.

Quoted:
He's a freshly minted Marine aviator?  

https://supergoodybag.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/glove3.jpg?w=590&h=787

They could save his life someday.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#22]
A really nice pocketknife?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Marine Officer's sword
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Buy him a set of real gold wings.  Not the cheap stuff from the uniform store but a set or real 24k gold wings.

http://www.santarosa-jewelers.com

In response to the others gifts:

A Bremont or Breitling watch is 3-6 grand and it is highly likely he will get one with a unit that is unit/model specific during a deployment "group buy"

As an Officer he should already have a Mameluke and it is not Naval Aviation specific.

The models are cool but there is a chance he could switch models or get redirected to another platform from the time the order is placed until he actually qualifies in the model.  The command logo will also not be as meaningful until he gets to his first combat unit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good suggestions all. I've gotten my son a wooden model of all of the aircraft he has flown so far although it's been associated with a milestone of some sort. First solo (T-6B) first carrier qual (T-45C) first fleet bird (AV-8B). You can get them complete with the correct squadron markings and even the correct nose/tail number of the actual plane for that particular event. Most of them are carved and painted in the Philippines and the craftsmanship and attention to detail is very good. There are several places on the web that can get them for you. Not always quick though.

My winging gift to him was the usual (and freaking expensive ) big watch. He wears a G-Shock in the cockpit though LOL.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Go pro so he can send you cool video.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top