Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 6:22:08 PM EDT
What was this gunner's position called?

It appears to be a very odd angle and I can't imagine many German fighters were hit from here.  Whoever sized the ammo feed box perhaps agreed?

Also, it looks like the gunner would be in the way of a much more important crew member: the bombardier.  Curious if anyone has any info on this as I have often wondered about it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Would either be the Navigator (if they had one.  Most times the Bombadier was the Nav.) or possibly the Radio man.  This would only be when the Bombadier was busy doing the bombing.

Radio man had a gun added typically firing straight up throught the green house or sky light just behind the cockpit.

This was only for the earlier models.   I think by the G and H models the "chin" turret had been installed that only the Bombadier would use because nobody else could get to it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If the guy on the right is the Bombardier, then the other crew member would be the Navigator.  Also in the B17E and F models that gun would have been a .30 caliber Browning.  The weak point on the B17 was the lack of firepower forward.  This wasn't solved until the B17G model with the addition of the powered chin turret with twin .50 caliber Brownings.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bombardier isn't always sitting there.  He is just there on the bomb run, and in many of the bomb runs the only bombardier who was using the sight was the formation lead.
View Quote

This. Also, enemy fighters hit from ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE. The SOB's that flew those runs had balls the size of watermelons....and most were just "kids" by today's standards.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The bombardier isn't always sitting there.  He is just there on the bomb run, and in many of the bomb runs the only bombardier who was using the sight was the formation lead.
View Quote

I believe the bombardier was only in position on the bomb run. Also the bomb run was often in heavy flak and the enemy fighters didn't
follow the bombers in on the run. They waited outside the target and got them outbound.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the guy on the right is the Bombardier, then the other crew member would be the Navigator.  Also in the B17E and F models that gun would have been a .30 caliber Browning.  The weak point on the B17 was the lack of firepower forward.  This wasn't solved until the B17G model with the addition of the powered chin turret with twin .50 caliber Brownings.

Vulcan94
View Quote

The heaviest gun most Lancs was a 30.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
we need more YB40's
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Just finished the book "A Higher Call".   The Luftwaffe pilot in it said they learned to attack from the front since it meant less guns shooting at them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Not to derail my own thread, but why the the B-29 have so few guns?  

Flew higher than the fighters could?

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Advanced fire control.  

Yes, higher than the effective ceiling of many, but not all fighters.

Saga of the Superfortress is a good read on the B29 program...
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What was this gunner's position called?
View Quote

Nose Gunner.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Google images for B17 crew positions

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#14]
If you look closely, past the red ink, you'll see SIX .50s in the chin turret.  Sorta' solves the lack of forward firepower problem, eh?

Supposedly one of the many experimental firepower add-ons tried on the XB-40 / YB-40.  At least four different chin turrets were developed.  More YB-40:

Or you could try putting a 20mm in the nose.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]

That photo looks staged

no oxygen masks or cold WX gear

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

No headphones either.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

From the looks of it, they're not at that high of an altitude.
Probably shot on a training run for PR purposes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
we need more YB40's
View Quote

The problem with the YB-40 was that when the rest of the B-17s dropped their bombs they couldn't keep up.  And a YB-40 was just as vulnerable to the German fighters when alone, even with the extra firepower.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The B-29 had the same number of guns as a B-17G and one of its thirteen guns was a 20mm.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Advanced fire control.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advanced fire control.  

Some time ago I got to go into the cockpit of the B-29 "FiFi".  IIRC, the tour guide said that the advance fire control could put 70% of the .50 cal round on target.  That would make for a very bad day for any attacking fighter.

Vulcan94
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top