[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mounts for gas?
View Quote

no, a Q/D for the Garmin.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You should have called out the person in town, and when they got there, told them you didn't need gas, but both cans are plugged.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Joints like that kept the air ambulance business even more challenging than the flying part itself.  You know, " grab the manual and see exactly how much avgas we can run in this lear".
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Your Garmin lied...who would have seen that coming?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Man what was the last time you updated that GPS??  Things may have changed in the last 15 yrs.  295 came out around 2000 right?

Get on eBay and get yourself something made in the last decade.  LOL.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#9]
What airport?

You should've gone to 1R8 or AAF. This time of year AAF is a destination of mine for fresh oysters. You take the crew car into town.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Just update the database, don't need a new unit.

The new Aera is nice, I have a 550, but the glare on that motherfucker in the hiller drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#12]
this thread is useless without some pics

oh and I have to second the suggestion to upgrade. Even a poor boy like me has a 496 in my Cherokee. Time to retire the 295 or just put it in the flight bag as a 2nd backup or something.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a Garmin Aera 560 and would highly recommend it. They do make no-glare screen protectors (which would probably be helpful in a Navion).

Used mine for a thousand hours or so all over three countries - the XM was niiice.

ETA: Sporty's - Aera 560

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]
You might like the iFly 720.  Daylight viewable screen, and a hell of a lot cheaper than Garmin.

https://www.iflygps.com/SYSTEMS/iFly720.aspx
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You might like the iFly 720.  Daylight viewable screen, and a hell of a lot cheaper than Garmin.

View Quote
I have used both and like the iFly much better.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like mine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I like mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like mine.
I am now using the iFly android app on my google nexus7 in the Kitfox 2.
 It has most of the features of the 720 and the battery in the tablet
is an advantage.  I get over 4 hours on a charge.  I found if I turn the
brightness all the way up I don't have problems seeing it.  I prefer it
to the cheaper iFly 520.  If you have a tablet it may be worth a try.  
The Garmin 296 is on the powered parachute.  Tablet in the Kitfox and
the 720 is used in tbe Cessna 177

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am now using the iFly android app on my google nexus7 in the Kitfox 2.  It has most of the features of the 720 and the battery in the tablet is an advantage.  I get over 4 hours on a charge.  I found if I turn the brightness all the way up I don't have problems seeing it.  I prefer it to the cheaper iFly 520.  If you have a tablet it may be worth a try.  The Garmin 296 is on the powered parachute.  Tablet in the Kitfox and the 720 is used in tbe Cessna 177

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like mine.
I am now using the iFly android app on my google nexus7 in the Kitfox 2.  It has most of the features of the 720 and the battery in the tablet is an advantage.  I get over 4 hours on a charge.  I found if I turn the brightness all the way up I don't have problems seeing it.  I prefer it to the cheaper iFly 520.  If you have a tablet it may be worth a try.  The Garmin 296 is on the powered parachute.  Tablet in the Kitfox and the 720 is used in tbe Cessna 177

I have the Android app on my phone, and it's impressive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Foreflight Mobile.  Meow.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I was flying into Austin from Corpus that same day, and had to hold 20 minutes while the storm moved over Bergstrom.  Kinda crazy, I haven't had to hold for a couple years.  They shut down arrivals for everybody after a 737 and a Lear both got some bad windshear on final.

They shut down Kittie Hill right after I moved down there.  I was pretty disappointed, I thought I'd have a grass strip five miles down the road from me, and then only got to visit it twice before it got sold.  

Where did you end up moving your Navion to?  Unless you don't want to violate persec, which I understand!  

ETA- And another big +1 to getting a new GPS.  I run a Garmin 295 in the RV, but only because I have an iPad as well!  Get a Garmin 696 and the XM subscription.  You'll have NexRAD, XM Radio, XM Metars and Wx, and all kinds of goodies.  I wouldn't fly a cross-country without it, XM weather is a game-changer.  

In my opinion, It's better than on-board radar, since you get the big picture.  In the jets we have both, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Foreflight Mobile. Meow.
View Quote

THIS.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Your screen name requires a response of ..

"During my always unusually-thorough pre-flight planning, I generally don't contact my 2nd alternates before take-off."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that sucks. They should have known that you were heading into town.

Your screen name requires a response of ..

"During my always unusually-thorough pre-flight planning, I generally don't contact my 2nd alternates before take-off."

The alternate airport is only there for you to wish they had gas in the pumps, instead of being in the air wishing for gas in the tanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
On a return flight from the panhandle yesterday, smooth sailing until I was 20 minutes out ... storm was passing over the field.

I orbited around to the north awhile, but decided to land at San Saba, Tx, get fuel, and kill time. My trusty Garmin 295 said the field had barely clothed line-girls and hot coffee and cookies.  Well, it actually said Jet Fuel / Av Gas, I derived the rest from the fact they had Jet.

Nobody answered the Unicom ... I assumed it was because they were all outside watching Mr. Oilfield's Hollywood-actress daughter step out of the KingAir like she does at Christmas every year.  I could just see the hubbub when Mr. LaRue slid onto the field in his late-60s classic Navion "H" Rangemaster.  Shouts of "Hey, get that KingAir out of the way !!! It's Mr. LaRue !!!"

After landing at the field (from the air it looked like it had been over-run by Zombies) I taxied up to the no-credit-card pumps.  Damn, cash only, but you gotta call somebody in town.  Well shucks, I'll use the rest rooms and grab some of that hot coffee.  Both toilets were plugged.

I still had plenty and then some in the main to make it and the storm moved off my home field.

- The End -
View Quote

Nice story.  For what it's worth I stopped looking for barely-clothed line-girls by the time I was 21.  I concluded they were a myth created to get students through their long cross-countries.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nice story.  For what it's worth I stopped looking for barely-clothed line-girls by the time I was 21.  I concluded they were a myth created to get students through their long cross-countries.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a return flight from the panhandle yesterday, smooth sailing until I was 20 minutes out ... storm was passing over the field.

I orbited around to the north awhile, but decided to land at San Saba, Tx, get fuel, and kill time. My trusty Garmin 295 said the field had barely clothed line-girls and hot coffee and cookies.  Well, it actually said Jet Fuel / Av Gas, I derived the rest from the fact they had Jet.

Nobody answered the Unicom ... I assumed it was because they were all outside watching Mr. Oilfield's Hollywood-actress daughter step out of the KingAir like she does at Christmas every year.  I could just see the hubbub when Mr. LaRue slid onto the field in his late-60s classic Navion "H" Rangemaster.  Shouts of "Hey, get that KingAir out of the way !!! It's Mr. LaRue !!!"

After landing at the field (from the air it looked like it had been over-run by Zombies) I taxied up to the no-credit-card pumps.  Damn, cash only, but you gotta call somebody in town.  Well shucks, I'll use the rest rooms and grab some of that hot coffee.  Both toilets were plugged.

I still had plenty and then some in the main to make it and the storm moved off my home field.

- The End -

Like big watches and big stories.....
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Santa? I though the reindeer pulled the sleigh?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I fly a plane with G1000.  Still prefer Foreflight on the iPad mini for getting airport info.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I fly a plane with G1000.  Still prefer Foreflight on the iPad mini for getting airport info.
View Quote

I've  had a guy flying by ask for a price check
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top