Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2014 10:48:06 PM EDT
I was one of those who applied OTS in the ATC bid in Feb, I just got my class date today for the academy, mid January!

Looking forward to starting a new career, I wasnt a CTI grad but I am a PPL and Sport Pilot with about 150 hours total, a TW and Complex/HP endorsement, so at least I know how airplanes work

Anyone have any advice?

UPDATE:

Not only did I pass, I got the top score in my region, so I got first pick. Ill be heading to SBN!

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Be one of the good ones.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:38:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Find a good study group.

Dont be stupid.

IM me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Always wanted to do ATC. Just never had the opportunity to go do it. I tried to sign up for classes up in OKC as well when they had the job fair online
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was one of those who applied OTS in the ATC bid in Feb, I just got my class date today for the academy, mid January!

Looking forward to starting a new career, I wasnt a CTI grad but I am a PPL and Sport Pilot with about 150 hours total, a TW and Complex/HP endorsement, so at least I know how airplanes work

Anyone have any advice?
View Quote

Congrats. I wish I would have taken the Atc route instead of flying them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Find a good study group.

Dont be stupid.
IM me if you have any questions.
View Quote
Should be easy, I am staying at Kims

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't follow in my CA footsteps
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Don't follow in my CA footsteps
View Quote
Haha. RIP mr Mac-11

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Be one of the good ones.  
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Study, study, study.
When you get out of the Academy is when you really need to buckle  down and STUDY.  Most training failures are at the facility whether tower or center.  Show your trainer and supervisor that you want the job.  Get in early, don't take to much time off, did I mention STUDY.  Memorize the maps and procedures, don't try to rationalize why they are the way they are.
Your pilot experience will be of only marginal help, and then only at the beginning of your training.

Good Luck, and STUDY

Retired ATCS tower, tracon, and center controller and supervisor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Study, study, study.

When you get out of the Academy is when you really need to buckle  down and STUDY.  Most training failures are at the facility whether tower or center.  Show your trainer and supervisor that you want the job.  Get in early, don't take to much time off, did I mention STUDY.  Memorize the maps and procedures, don't try to rationalize why they are the way they are.

Your pilot experience will be of only marginal help, and then only at the beginning of your training.

Good Luck, and STUDY
View Quote

Thanks for the advice! I will be buckling down and getting to work, I understand its not vacation time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice! I will be buckling down and getting to work, I understand its not vacation time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Study, study, study.

Good Luck, and STUDY

He nailed it
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#12]
When you have questions or concerns, don't hesitate to email me.

It's not a job for everyone.  The shift work is horrible on you and family.  But. if you enjoy 3 d puzzles, you'll like it.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Terminal, rtf or enroute?y
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Initial training, where they don't tell you where you're going anymore. Highest score at the end gets first pick from a list, next highest gets second pick, and so on.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Initial training, where they don't tell you where you're going anymore. Highest score at the end gets first pick from a list, next highest gets second pick, and so on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

they split the classes off into terminal and enroute based on who knows what, i know I wont be going enroute (thank god)

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
they split the classes off into terminal and enroute based on who knows what, i know I wont be going enroute (thank god)  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot about the going to basics part.

As others have said study. Kim's place is a great way to get a study group together, it's also a great way to get a party group together. Both happen frequently. Make it a good balance.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Anyone have any advice?
View Quote

This in no b.s.  shoot me a name and phone number.  IM My dad taught at Mike Monroney for decades.

Ill have him call you with advice.

Txl
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:23:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Another controller here, things have changed a lot but make sure you know your shit.  STUDY and have a GOOD ATTITUDE.  I was asked to train a developmental that was on an extension after failing their 100% check ride on Clearance.  I don't see him much and,as we headed upstairs, I asked him what his weak spots were.  He started mouthing off about how development B failed a check ride and he didn't have to go through remedial training but I will its BS so on and so forth.  Guy didn't have any idea of what our LOAs stated, he was more interested in playing ping pong in the break room...

Hit me up if you have any questions, I was in OKC in 2007 and 2008.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This in no b.s.  shoot me a name and phone number.  IM My dad taught at Mike Monroney for decades.

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone have any advice?

Txl
IM sent!

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I went through RTF IN 2007. If I can be of help let me know.

How many FAA controllers do we have here in ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I went through RTF IN 2007. If I can be of help let me know.

How many FAA controllers do we have here in ARFCOM?
View Quote

Quite a few
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone near DFW? I am looking to get there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone near DFW? I am looking to get there.
View Quote

I'm sure D10 always needs people!
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Hoping to go the same route in a couple of years when my military ATC stint is up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Op, how is everything going? I went through the academy for tower last spring, and I'll be back for RTF hopefully in the next few months. I guess I was one of the last classes where I knew where I was going before I went to OKC. (I was CTI)

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:53:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Op, how is everything going? I went through the academy for tower last spring, and I'll be back for RTF hopefully in the next few months. I guess I was one of the last classes where I knew where I was going before I went to OKC. (I was CTI)

View Quote
Its going really well! basics was easy, ended up with 133/136 on the final, im in the academics portion of the tower cab class, grinding it out, have a 93% avg so far. Cant wait to get into labs!

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Its going really well! basics was easy, ended up with 133/136 on the final, im in the academics portion of the tower cab class, grinding it out, have a 93% avg so far. Cant wait to get into labs!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How are things weighted point wise? For us it was like 90% PV scores, and 10% from the classroom.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hoping to go the same route in a couple of years when my military ATC stint is up.
View Quote

I've had a lot of my folks jumping ship lately for the FAA. SSgt manning is projected to go from 130% to 104% in the next 6 months in AMC. I anticipate it dropping further without the AF offering a bonus.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

How are things weighted point wise? For us it was like 90% PV scores, and 10% from the classroom.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

its exactly the same, I just finished block tests with an avg of 94

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#30]
This new system seems interesting
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got back from RTF a few weeks ago. In there the written tests are worth 2% total, with the other 98‰ divided between 3 PV runs. RTF is actually pretty easy, especially with the lack of pressure of losing your job. I know it will be going pass/fail for new hires, but I don't know how it will be implemented.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been hearing about RTF being pass/fail for the new hires since 2007, sure seems to take a while to get to it...
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I've been hearing about RTF being pass/fail for the new hires since 2007, sure seems to take a while to get to it...
View Quote
my housemates were RTF they said its basically pass/pass unless you really go out of your way to fail. they said the thinking is that if you want to learn great, if not, you wont certify in the field and thats your problem.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#34]
welp, finished academics, i had a 93 and change pct avg overall. I think that puts me 4th or 5th in my class. On to the TSS, its been a blast so far! I love this job and im happy to be here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
welp, finished academics, i had a 93 and change pct avg overall. I think that puts me 4th or 5th in my class. On to the TSS, its been a blast so far! I love this job and im happy to be here.
View Quote

Nice job.

The TSS can be a grind at some points. The voice recognition software can be a PITA. If you start talking fast to the computer, it will start giving you garbage back. If you feel like you are getting behind, don't talk faster, you will only dig a bigger hole. Slow down and play the computer's game. Once it clicks, its a hell of a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Nice job.

The TSS can be a grind at some points. The voice recognition software can be a PITA. If you start talking fast to the computer, it will start giving you garbage back. If you feel like you are getting behind, don't talk faster, you will only dig a bigger hole. Slow down and play the computer's game. Once it clicks, its a hell of a lot of fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice job.

I remember a bunch of people having trouble with simulators not recognizing their voices. Generally they would get flustered and begin talking faster and making it worse. Lucky for me, every sim I've ever run has understood me perfectly. I've always enjoyed the simulators despite most people hating them.

I'm anxiously awaiting the results from the recent prior experience FAA announcement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nice job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice job.

The TSS hated the way I say Navajo. It couldn't read it
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice job.

My tech school class was half foreigners so the TSS had an aneurysm on a daily basis. I thought the TSS was fun though, and the Keesler ones usually ran pretty well. The TSS here is garbage though, voice doesn't work at all so someone has to fly the whole thing and play pilot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice job.

it likes me, ive only had a smattering of obvious errors. There is one my class who "cleared to land" always get read as "cross delta".

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought this might be sort of relevant to this thread. I just got my tentative offer letter from the prior ATC announcement in February.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I thought this might be sort of relevant to this thread. I just got my tentative offer letter from the prior ATC announcement in February.
View Quote

Nice. Congrats
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Got my list of choices. Depending on class rank I can take SHV, CID, SBN, HUF, LAN, or ABI. Anyone know anything about these? The rapcon at SHV would be cool I think, but not living in LA
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:19:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Got my list of choices. Depending on class rank I can take SHV, CID, SBN, HUF, LAN, or ABI. Anyone know anything about these? The rapcon at SHV would be cool I think, but not living in LA
View Quote
Did you get to pick region preferences?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Out of those I'd probably pick SBN. Nice town not far from Chicago.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be cool, though Ive heard the the apph sequencing of traffic from midway is tough. Still, thats leading the list so far! We will see how it goes

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha! SHV would be my only choice on that list! And I don't even like it up in North LA!

RC
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Ha! SHV would be my only choice on that list! And I don't even like it up in North LA!

RC
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

RC
talking as a controller or as a pilot? :-p

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much time do you have to make a decision?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, we finish evals wed so I should know my class rank by then, then we get to pick Thursday morning. So not much time at all.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well, we finish evals wed so I should know my class rank by then, then we get to pick Thursday morning. So not much time at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be worth the effort   to get a hold of the Facrep for your top couple choices and get as much info about the facility (nnumber of trainees there, how long the program takes, where their cpcs go after they check out (some facilities are known pipelines to bigger  places),  and how things are at the facility.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top