Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2014 12:30:28 AM EDT
Airbus CFO bad mouthing the 380 pprogram and causing a stir along with a stock hit.

What do you think?  380 dead after the next few years?

Airbus 380

"Airbus plunged deeper into crisis yesterday as customers reacted with fury to its suggestion that it may stop producing the fabled A380 super-jumbo in 2018 because of poor sales."

ETA: never been on one other than the test aircraft tour at OSH a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Engine technology killed the need for 3/4 engines two decades ago for second segment climb performance in super large aircraft.

ETOPS did the same in 1985 for overwater/remote routing operations.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Not one order placed this year?

I don't see things improving for them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The economy still sucks, contrary to statements made by Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf Josh Earnest, and why bother with new and very expensive technology when existing equipment gets the job done?

I doubt they'll actually kill the design. I think they'll hold the design and play with it in R&D while the market remains soft. They'll bring it back at some point. They'll either wait until some new development makes it essential, or the economy justifies it, or the fleet ages to the point that the planes have to be replaced. They've got at least ten billion dollars invested in that design. Boeing estimated it would cost fifteen billion to develop it, and Airbus may not be entirely honest about the real cost. It may be a lot more than that and I don't see them abandoning that investment. They kept the stupid Concord in the air for 27 years and as far as I know, it never operated at a profit.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The economy still sucks, contrary to statements made by Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf Josh Earnest, and why bother with new and very expensive technology when existing equipment gets the job done?

I doubt they'll actually kill the design. I think they'll hold the design and play with it in R&D while the market remains soft. They'll bring it back at some point. They'll either wait until some new development makes it essential, or the economy justifies it, or the fleet ages to the point that the planes have to be replaced. They've got at least ten billion dollars invested in that design. Boeing estimated it would cost fifteen billion to develop it, and Airbus may not be entirely honest about the real cost. It may be a lot more than that and I don't see them abandoning that investment. They kept the stupid Concord in the air for 27 years and as far as I know, it never operated at a profit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it were due to the economy Boeing and Airbus wouldn't be selling and delivering airplanes at a record rate right now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Airbus is embarrassed by those comments so the Euros will spend a ton of $$ to re-engine the 380 so the Arab airlines can buy more to ship pilgrims to Mecca.

Boeing had it right that the very large aircraft market is limited & mid-sized wide-bodies are more versatile.  

Aside from the freighter market & a couple new Air Force Ones the 747 has a limited life-span ahead since large twin engine airlines are more cost-effective.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If it were due to the economy Boeing and Airbus wouldn't be selling and delivering airplanes at a record rate right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both Boeing & Airbus are not producing the very-large 747 & 380's at record rates, but are actually reducing production rates on both due to the lack of demand for that sized aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:04:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Both Boeing & Airbus are not producing the very-large 747 & 380's at record rates, but are actually reducing production rates on both due to the lack of demand for that sized aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work at Boeing and realize this. We're selling and delivering 777's and 737's at a record rate. It was mentioned that the sales are low due to the economy. This is completely opposite from the truth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top