Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2014 4:32:13 PM EDT

My dad died in March. He was a PPL and I flew a lot with him as a kid. Gave me my love of planes. Wish he had been there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome man! Hope to take my son up very soon!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my son hooked on aviation at an early age. Now he has a PPL- ASEL and working on Rotorcraft- Heliflopter.

Your boy looks excited to go (or is that the after flight pic?)
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got my son hooked on aviation at an early age. Now he has a PPL- ASEL and working on Rotorcraft- Heliflopter.

Your boy looks excited to go (or is that the after flight pic?)
View Quote

That was after pic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, after he barfed, we landed, got cleaned up, etc.. :) He still loved it. He did good until I made a a 1440 degree climbing turn (saying 4 turns sounds more like a spin :)  to show him above the clouds. Was gentle and smooth, but screwed him up. Big mistake on my part.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#7]
182 RG?

Friend of mine had a 182 RG which looked similar.  I'm almost a 200 hour PPL woking on my IFR right now and looking for a good first plane.  Seriously thinking about one of these.

Your kid reminds me of myself when I was young in late 70s.  My dad had a little 150 that we used to fly in.  I always remembered how much fun I had back then.  We flew quite a bit just drilling holes in the sky and taking short XC to my grandparents house.  Back then it was very economical to fly.  (my dad was a welder, dark blue collar guy).  It was only until recently that I had the money to peruse flying.  If I have a child I will introduce him/her as soon as possible.  It's one of the greatest gifts that technology has brought to man.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, after he barfed, we landed, got cleaned up, etc.. :) He still loved it. He did good until I made a a 1440 degree climbing turn (saying 4 turns sounds more like a spin :)  to show him above the clouds. Was gentle and smooth, but screwed him up. Big mistake on my part.
View Quote

Guy I know had his young son get sick a his first couple time out.  After that he waited a couple weeks before flying again.  Then he took him out for a "ground ride".  He taxied to runway, ran close to take off and slowed down, turned off, taxied.  He repeated this a few times and then went home without ever becoming airborne.  (We are at a towered airport but he did it very early at a downtime so wasn't big deal.)   Basically he did the eqivalent of a ground pattern.  He then went out on a picture perfect smooth day and took his son airborne out a little ways for about 15 minutes and then brought him back in.  The kid seems to be doing fine now.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

My granddaughter was a puker the first few times she flew with her Daddy (my son) and I. Found out it was a combination of inadequate airflow from the vents (she was hot) and one of f the dumb-ass pilots' (me ) lazy feet on the rudders.

She doesn't barf anymore- the kid has about 80 hours as a pax now- but a lotta circling then a fast roll-out will still turn her a little green.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Good lookin kid and plane!  I used to get sick as a kid every time I went flying with my dad.  It never stopped me from wanting to go.

As I'm sure you know, looking straight down at the ground is bad, especially when turning.  When I give rides to kids, I try to point out things to keep them looking out, not down.  I also have them help watch out for traffic.  Also, when you take him up again, give him a barf bag so he doesn't have to worry about embarrassing himself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:11:47 AM EDT
[#11]
nice plane, cute kid, where's his shirt? lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
182 RG?

Friend of mine had a 182 RG which looked similar.  I'm almost a 200 hour PPL woking on my IFR right now and looking for a good first plane.  Seriously thinking about one of these.

Your kid reminds me of myself when I was young in late 70s.  My dad had a little 150 that we used to fly in.  I always remembered how much fun I had back then.  We flew quite a bit just drilling holes in the sky and taking short XC to my grandparents house.  Back then it was very economical to fly.  (my dad was a welder, dark blue collar guy).  It was only until recently that I had the money to peruse flying.  If I have a child I will introduce him/her as soon as possible.  It's one of the greatest gifts that technology has brought to man.
View Quote

Had a buddy that had a 182RG. IMHO the Cessna folding gear isn't worth all the hassle for the limited increase in speed.
Stick with a fixed gear 182. First plane I owned was a 182Q, great plane.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a cool story.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Had a buddy that had a 182RG. IMHO the Cessna folding gear isn't worth all the hassle for the limited increase in speed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
182 RG?

Thanks for the info.  I'm looking for a nice 182, lower time engine with good IFR setup (GPS, HSI, autopilot, etc) that I can use for XC for my family for the next 10+ years.  Right now it's just me and the Mrs but will eventually may have a kid.  Safety is #1.  I'm not looking for speed (cirrus/bonabza) but interested in something that can haul a bit of weight and is safe.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.  I'm looking for a nice 182, lower time engine with good IFR setup (GPS, HSI, autopilot, etc) that I can use for XC for my family for the next 10+ years.  Right now it's just me and the Mrs but will eventually may have a kid.  Safety is #1.  I'm not looking for speed (cirrus/bonabza) but interested in something that can haul a bit of weight and is safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
182 RG?

RG looks better on my logbook. Fixed 182 for sure if I owned.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You might also consider a Cardinal they fly nice and have big doors... Rebuilds are a lot cheaper with the IO-360 also.  I have a lot of hours in cardinals and have had zero issues with the IO-360 powered ones if properly maintained and rigged.  I much prefer the full flying stab versus the old cessna type.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I'll look in to the Cardinal also.  How much do rebuilds run for that engine?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top