Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2014 5:16:16 PM EDT
It seems most of the foundations/collections that operate WW2 aircraft have various DVDs for sale. I'm looking to put together a list of good DVDs covering a number of my favorite planes, especially radial engined ones. I'm especially looking for HQ sound and in-cockpit vids. I don't want to pay a premium for a DVD and then have the sound all muffled or washed out by the sound levels of the engine. I'm talking EARGASM quality, if available. There are two I'm really thinking about:

One Summer, Two Messerschmitts
Watched it through on Youtube, I feel it's worth owning for that sweet DB605 sound, inside and out.

HAFU w/Corsair
I think I've seen samples from this DVD on the HAFU Youtube channel. Corsair in-cockpit, pure R2800 magic. Hoping there is more content than the samples online.

Planes I'm especially interested in:
F4U
Bf109
F8F
P-47
P-38
A-1 Skyraider
A-26
B-25
B-17
F-4 Phantom

Again, cockpit with good audio, no cheesy musc. Just sweet sweet engines. List above is not "limited to", but I'm kind of over the P-51 and Spitfire. I'm fine paying for a few of these if they're really good and help keep them in the air.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the P39/P40/P63 not in there?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:.....but I'm kind of over the P-51 and Spitfire.
View Quote

Uhhh, when was the last time you went to the doctor? Everything feeling ok?

Just kidding! Can't really comment on those you listed but I've seen snippets of the Warbirds of Glory series done by Planes of Fame and they seem quite good. You mention cockpit shots...those pretty much walk you through the cockpit, how to start the planes, what flying them is like. Not really focused on the engine sound so much as the overall experience of flying the aircraft. The whole set is around $160.

If you want high-def sound, why not go with one of those warbird sounds CDs?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the P39/P40/P63 not in there?
View Quote

Good point! P-40 has an allure of it's own, my wife likes it and the A-10, and she's not even into planes.

39/63 never grew on me. I know the Russians used them to very good effect but they just don't push the same buttons the Corsair does.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just kidding! Can't really comment on those you listed but I've seen snippets of the Warbirds of Glory series done by Planes of Fame and they seem quite good. You mention cockpit shots...those pretty much walk you through the cockpit, how to start the planes, what flying them is like. Not really focused on the engine sound so much as the overall experience of flying the aircraft. The whole set is around $160.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:.....but I'm kind of over the P-51 and Spitfire.

I had my P-51 phase as a kid. But I also grew up watching Black Sheep Squadron, and had a spiffy book about Marine Corsairs flying out of the Solomons. Truly the birdcage F4U-1s all dirty and covered in coral dust are where it's at for me. It's just neater in a way to be able to read VMF-214's exploits after seeing what's involved just flying one casually, or in an airshow. Seems like you had to fight your own plane while you fought the enemy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top