Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2014 1:20:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:55:14 AM EDT
[#1]
LoL.  What an Arrogant fuck.  

There are thousands of existing pro pilots that would love to have that job.

If the Captains are smart, they will refuse to do OJT with these proposed Ab Initio useful idiots.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

He really should just get rid of the Princess Pilots and let some kid fly the fucking bus from the ground.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
You can teach almost anyone to sail, fly a plane, etc... but there are few that we would trust as "captains" to take 300+ souls across the open ocean.
When something goes wrong is when you wish you had some way to weed out the 99.99999% of lesser sailors from the few "captains" with years of experience that can be trusted with the lives of others.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:51:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Pffft.  Everyone knows the Airbus don't need no steenking pilots!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can teach almost anyone to sail, fly a plane, etc... but there are few that we would trust as "captains" to take 300+ souls across the open ocean.
When something goes wrong is when you wish you had some way to weed out the 99.99999% of lesser sailors from the few "captains" with years of experience that can be trusted with the lives of others.
View Quote

That isn't actually it.     You don't need to be Chuck Yeager, but you do have to have the Professionalism and Consistency, to do it correctly for tens of thousands of trips spread over 35 years.    It doesn't take a .01 % er, but it does take a truly dedicated and gifted professional. Maybe a 10% er.  

Despite what ignoramuses like Dick Branson might think, these planes do not yet fly themselves.    There are 1000 little Gotchas on any given flight, any one of which, can Korea Air you at the drop of a hat.      

It's a little bit hard to explain, but the more HiTech they get, the more insidious the Gotchas get.    
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Ab initio training is nothing new. Many regional  airlines do it here in the US as well as other countries.
I have transitioned many pilots in an Ab initio program to state of the art airline equiptment.
They are not Captains but First Officers and the Ab Initio program allows them to be trained with dicipline fron day one.
I dont believe this will take away from hiring already quilified pilots but provide one more stream to choose from.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

A system could fail and the pilots (ignoring the stall warning)  stall the aircraft 38,000ft to the ocean, killing all 228 people onboard.  

Oh, wait..
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Arrogant fuck? Maybe!

But I personally think this is a good idea for future pilots, depending on the level of student they select.

He's basically offering a free ride, bypassing the bullshit special snowflake route!

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The big problem with any of the ab-initio/cadet/MPL ideas IMHO is that now every line captain is going to be an instructor.  An airplane full of people is no place to be giving basic dual.  I was a line training captain for years on turboprops and jets.  It's hard enough with an experienced pilot who is new on type.  With a MPL student who has around 100 hours of actual airplane experience, and a few hundred hours in a simulator, they couldn't pay me enough, and I wouldn't want to ride in the back.

Long haul is even better.  How many landings are these MPL pilots going to get in real life?  I have friends flying in Asia, at some of those airlines, the FO is never allowed to takeoff or land.  I've got a better idea, how about the airlines paying a better wage, with better working conditions.  Then they can attract more experienced pilots.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Arrogant fuck? Maybe!

But I personally think this is a good idea for future pilots, depending on the level of student they select.

He's basically offering a free ride, bypassing the bullshit special snowflake route!

View Quote

LoL, special snowflake?   Meaning what?    

Better look into who is getting into the Ab Initio programs in other countries.    

Start with the F/O of that Malaysian Air which disappeared.      

it's all connections.  Special Snowflake indeed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The big problem with any of the ab-initio/cadet/MPL ideas IMHO is that now every line captain is going to be an instructor.  An airplane full of people is no place to be giving basic dual.  I was a line training captain for years on turboprops and jets.  It's hard enough with an experienced pilot who is new on type.  With a MPL student who has around 100 hours of actual airplane experience, and a few hundred hours in a simulator, they couldn't pay me enough, and I wouldn't want to ride in the back.

Long haul is even better.  How many landings are these MPL pilots going to get in real life?  I have friends flying in Asia, at some of those airlines, the FO is never allowed to takeoff or land.  I've got a better idea, how about the airlines paying a better wage, with better working conditions.  Then they can attract more experienced pilots.
View Quote

Consumers would have to be willing to pay higher ticket fares for that
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arrogant fuck? Maybe!

Does any anyone know if the Asiana crew in San Francisco were in a similar program?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Not sure about that paticular airline but most Asian airlines have a program like that run under the goverment.
My problem wasnt with this thpe of program but the Captain is god culture.
Captains are often hired directly from the military to the laft seat including single pilot fighters.
Crew Resource Managment (CRM) clashes with culture so when the Captain is missing up no one want to undermine his authority by speaking up or he doesnt listen. Most of the issues I saw when training these asian crews and the issues flying the line were the result of this.
US, Canada and Europe have a strong CRM culture so this type of program works better and I had very few issues due to a stromg CRM culture.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Many of us have predicted this for years, many of my views are similar to what other posters have already stated in this thread. The numbers are on the side of the pilots here, increasing demand and diminishing supply's of "qualified" bodies. China, Germany and others have been engaged in this type of training for a long time.

Have you looked at what it costs to go to medical school? I'm 56, already collect a pension from a previous airline and have turned down several positions in Asia, India and the Middle-east to fly tactical ISR. My current job pays very well, but the living conditions down range are a bit austere. Great flying jobs are where you find them, the only advice I give the younger guys is always keep improving your resume and keep you personal and professional life in order.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Ahhh and the multi-crew license establishes a beach head in the US.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A system could fail and the pilots (ignoring the stall warning)  stall the aircraft 38,000ft to the ocean, killing all 228 people onboard.  

Oh, wait..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, wait..

Air France?

Saw that documentary.  Yikes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Wish they would count landings instead of autopilot hours.

500 freight landings before passengers would be a good start.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

2500 landings before passengers would be a good start.
View Quote
fify.

Something that people out side the business don't know, and pilots within the airlines don't want to admit, is that your instinctual flying ability doesn't advance much, after you make it into the world of FMS/Autopilot/Autothrottles.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
fify.

Something that people out side the business don't know, and pilots within the airlines don't want to admit, is that your instinctual flying ability doesn't advance much, after you make it into the world of FMS/Autopilot/Autothrottles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fify.

The only people that have 2500 landings are prob jump pilots. Not sure I want them up front if I don't have a chute.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't understand the problem with a jump pilot. If he's flying your airliner he doesn't have a chute.
(former jump pilot)
500 landings in freighter before flying pax? Same airframes, same rules. Pilot is the first one to the crash.
(former self loading cargo pilot, current freighter pilot)
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Video gamers please apply with logged hours of flight sim hours.

Airbus is a plane that takes the pilot out and inserts a moron at the controls.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't understand the problem with a jump pilot. If he's flying your airliner he doesn't have a chute.
(former jump pilot)
500 landings in freighter before flying pax? Same airframes, same rules. Pilot is the first one to the crash.
(former self loading cargo pilot, current freighter pilot)
View Quote

I want my airbus pilot doing split s in a util aircraft to get on the ground with style for the tandem.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, it sounds like a good deal for the aspiring aviator--flying job without a $100K debt!  Additionally, IF the training program is good enough, it may work.  The military pins on wings with roughly 200-300 hours of flight time.  There are plenty of pilots who started flying co-pilot on 707-sized or larger aircraft with less than 500 hours total time.  

...I would be wary of the quality of the training program.  That's where lives will be made or lost.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The only people that have 2500 landings are prob jump pilots. Not sure I want them up front if I don't have a chute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fify.

.  that makes no sense.  

A CFI or freight dog will have 2500 hours in a couple years, within the first 1500 hours.  
A regional airline pliot will put down 7-800 landings per year.  

2500 ldgs is just an example.  Point is, pilots should have some experiance before they attempt to fly anything with people in the back.    It's not really a controversial subject.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was a jump pilot and I know a lot of people that were or still are. Out of all of those I know, there's only one that would fall into that category that you speak of. I'm not sure where you got your opinion of them at, but it's wrong. I'm flying at my second airline and I had things happen to me as a jump pilot that gave me great experience dealing with emergencies. That experience has come in handy now that I'm flying at my second airline. If you don't mind me asking, who do you fly for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fify.

I was a jump pilot and I know a lot of people that were or still are. Out of all of those I know, there's only one that would fall into that category that you speak of. I'm not sure where you got your opinion of them at, but it's wrong. I'm flying at my second airline and I had things happen to me as a jump pilot that gave me great experience dealing with emergencies. That experience has come in handy now that I'm flying at my second airline. If you don't mind me asking, who do you fly for?

Ok I'm wrong.  I generalized jump pilots based on the reputation of a few and my only skydiving experience was around 2001 in Warton TX. Pilot would roll the twin otter and pull a split-s for the tandem camera man.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

.  that makes no sense.  

A CFI or freight dog will have 2500 hours in a couple years, within the first 1500 hours.  

2500 ldgs is just an example.  Point is, pilots should have some experiance before they attempt to fly anything with people in the back.    It's not really a controversial subject.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fify.

.  that makes no sense.  

Your statement was confusing.   How many hours per landing does a freight dog get? I said 500 freight flights would be a good start 2500 landings I guess would be a could of years in a type rated aircraft?

My original statement places more value on flights/landings than autopilot hours.

I'm only a lowly ppl with more landings than hours.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#30]
The long haul pilots do a lot more sitting and looking at screens and a lot less taking off and landing than the short haul guys.  Any pilot  can get from London to Newark . Flying around New England in the winter and doing  Albany / Newark 5 times a day is much tougher IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What airline in the US is taking someone with 0 hours, putting them through training and hiring them? I'm pretty sure there are none.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ab initio training is nothing new. Many regional  airlines do it here in the US as well as other countries.
I have transitioned many pilots in an Ab initio program to state of the art airline equiptment.
They are not Captains but First Officers and the Ab Initio program allows them to be trained with dicipline fron day one.
I dont believe this will take away from hiring already quilified pilots but provide one more stream to choose from.

What airline in the US is taking someone with 0 hours, putting them through training and hiring them? I'm pretty sure there are none.

Peoplexpress used to take people with 250 hours,  a commercial multi,  and FE written. And I remember some commuter lines guarenteeing you a job at the end of their school  zero to ATP.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Minimum time requirements here in the states have gone up considerably in response to some unfortunate incidents.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I may be wrong, but didn't Lufthansa do the same thing at one time?  I seem to recall in my MAC days hearing about them hiring and training pilots from scratch, figuring it was better to train them into the Lufthansa system instead of having outsiders.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Militaries all over the world (including our own) take young kids with little to zero flight experience, train them, and then turn them loose in sophisticated high powered aircraft.  Many of which make most civilian airliners look like cute toys.  With great results I might add.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:16:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Militaries all over the world (including our own) take young kids with little to zero flight experience, train them, and then turn them loose in sophisticated high powered aircraft.  Many of which make most civilian airliners look like cute toys.  With great results I might add.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please tell me you are joking..

Airlines cannot afford the Government sponsored accident rate.   They are private companies that pay for their own insurance.

Our Government has deep, virtually unlimited pockets.    

We may have the greatest Military in the history of the world, but the Mishap rate is dismal, compared to the airlines.      You have no clue.    

Look it up.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Airlines cannot afford the Government sponsored accident rate.   They are private companies that pay for their own insurance.

We may have the greatest Military in the history of the world, but the Mishap rate is dismal, compared to the airlines.      You have no clue.    

Look it up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look it up.

Are you quoting the accident rate for freighters and tankers only vs airlines or including fighters, helicopters and CAS types included?  That wouldn't be a very fair comparison at all.

The .MIL does an incredible job.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Look it up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look it up.

So basically what you're saying is that we should all trust you because you're butthurt about a rich guy doing what he wants with this own company?  No thanks.

Pretty large difference between pushing autopilot buttons at 30k feet and calling yourself a pilot and being down in the dirt doing combat maneuvers.  Risk usually involves consequences.

When you're ready to compare apples to apples, let us know.  Until then, rant on.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are you quoting the accident rate for freighters and tankers only vs airlines or including fighters, helicopters and CAS types included?  That wouldn't be a very fair comparison at all.

View Quote

He's not quoting anything.  As far as I can tell, he's making it up to make himself feel better.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

He's not quoting anything.  As far as I can tell, he's making it up to make himself feel better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely agree that the overall military accident rate is probably higher than US airlines, including regionals. I would suspect that if  you remove single fighter planes and helicopters from the mix, it becomes very comparable accident rates.

I have no statistics to back up my claims, only SWAG, but based on news reports, you just don't hear about many airline or non-fighter/helicopter military crashes.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So basically what you're saying is that we should all trust you because you're butthurt about a rich guy doing what he wants with this own company?  No thanks.

Pretty large difference between pushing autopilot buttons at 30k feet and calling yourself a pilot and being down in the dirt doing combat maneuvers.  Risk usually involves consequences.

When you're ready to compare apples to apples, let us know.  Until then, rant on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look it up.

You really are clueless.   Look up the statistics.   I'm not going to waste any of my time trying to educate you.  

You are arguing an unsupportable position.    But go ahead.  By all means, Keep trying.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You are arguing an unsupportable position.
View Quote

Says the guy posting unsupported opinions.

And I'm not "arguing" anything.  I posted a few simple statements and you flew off the handle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And I'm not "arguing" anything.  I posted a few simple statements and you flew off the handle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are arguing an unsupportable position.

I'm pretty busy right now, but I'll try to find the time next month to gather all the statistics you need.    I really shouldn't have to do it for you though.   If you're a pilot, then You should care about safety.
You should seek facts, over opinion and ego.  

I didn't fly of the handle.  You will find very few professional pilots in support of ab initio hiring - and for good reason.      

It's a bit shocking when you run into one.     It's like getting paired up with a liberal for a 3 day trip.     It happens, but it is thankfully, very rare.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's a bit shocking when you run into one.     It's like getting paired up with a liberal for a 3 day trip.     It happens, but it is thankfully, very rare.
View Quote

I lol'd.

Or a guy that only wants to eat at Applebees.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I lol'd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lol'd.

Damn, you flew with that guy too?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top