Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 12:19:34 PM EDT
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/plane-crashes-building-mid-continent-airport-wichita-n237521

Confirmed two dead. Apparently lost engine on takeoff.

Live news reports of airplane crashes remind me of the ignorance of the general public.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/plane-crashes-building-mid-continent-airport-wichita-n237521

Confirmed two dead. Apparently lost engine on takeoff.

Live news reports of airplane crashes remind me of the ignorance of the general public.
View Quote

Per the station I was watching:  "There was one person onboard the plane, who we assume was the pilot..."
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
That's fairly ironic.    But it wasn't the the FSI Beechcraft training center.    Anyone know which one it is?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's fairly ironic.    But it wasn't the the FSI Beechcraft training center.    Anyone know which one it is?
View Quote

The Beech training center is at Beech field about 15 miles NE.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It is being reported to be a 99 B200 tail number n52sz first registered and flown in 2000.  It was sold to Beechcraft by it's previous owner.  (Sheetz Aviation) . Just left the shop from a Phase 1-4 major inspection.  Was in the process of being sold/ferried to Mena for an interior re-fit and paint for the new owners.

The plane lost the left engine on take off,  Speculation is engine failed and the prop didn't feather properly causing the pilot to run out of rudder. ( Per a B200 owner and pilot).

The plane hit the aviation safety building cleaning the sim bay.  Video from kwch showed a close up into the hole in the building and the second floor was cleaned out about 3/4 of the way through.  Witness said the plane went in the building left wing low in a slight nose down pos.  

Fire fighters per scanner report 3 dead in sims and 1 on roof.  4 dead, 5 unaccounted for and 4 injured.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It hit the north building of the Cessna Learning Center at KICT.  There are two buildings at that center, north and south.  At one point earlier they had to pull all the firefighters out of the building due to instability.  I'm not completely sure, but I'm pretty sure, all the sims in that building are hydraulic as opposed to electric.

All missing are now accounted for.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The lot next to our building is a friggin' media circus right now...an ocean of vans and cameras.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The lot next to our building is a friggin' media circus right now...an ocean of vans and cameras.  
View Quote

I'd imagine it is a circus there right now.  I got some footage of the de-railment and explosion of the BNSF crude train,  And there was a circus of media there.

Good to see you are not that King air driver.  

Any thoughts on what may have gone wrong?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:10:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd imagine it is a circus there right now.  I got some footage of the de-railment and explosion of the BNSF crude train,  And there was a circus of media there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As you know all to well, it's too soon to speculate, except to say that perhaps the MX probably wasn't accomplished correctly.

A Kingair is an easy to fly aircraft, with simple and robust systems.   As long as it's put together correctly.     I have years of experience picking up planes from MX at ICT, and most of it was good, but not all.  

people don't always pay attention to detail like they should.    
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Could be that I'm wrong, but my first thought was that someone didn't have a pleasant experience at a certain training facility in the past.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Could be that I'm wrong, but my first thought was that someone didn't have a pleasant experience at a certain training facility in the past.
View Quote

Um, I really doubt this is a case of Kamikaze Student.     This guy was highly successful in his chosen career path.  Retired ATC.  Coasting on a Millionaire's retirement.    He was flying for fun.  

Read that again:  He was doing that job, simply because he loved flying, and loved being a "professional pilot".  

Barring some unforseen scandalous revelation, I see no reason to suggest this was anything other than an accident.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#12]
nvm
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Any updates on this one? Most of the news stories are .
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I check local news often during the day.  Not much as of late.  The building has been torn down quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I check local news often during the day.  Not much as of late.  The building has been torn down quite a bit.
View Quote

Sure has.  

They have demolished a lot of it.  I suppose so it is safer to investigate.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll probably be out there some time next week, completely unrelated to this. It looks like there are already people on here at ICT who are more connected and qualified than myself.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
God damn. That is horrible.

Killed flying a fucking simulator? Jeez.

I feel for the families.
View Quote

I guess the "nobody has died in a simulator" joke is done.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel for the families.

Not to disrespect the dead, but since you guys broke the ice...

Would it be considered a midair collision?

On a serious note though, I hope the people that did not make it went fast. Can you imagine being in a simulator thinking you are safe from potential danger and have that happen?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

On a serious note though, I hope the people that did not make it went fast. Can you imagine being in a simulator thinking you are safe from potential danger and have that happen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel for the families.

It wasn't fast, they were trapped.  One guy jumped out suffering burns and tried to pull others out but was unable.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It wasn't fast, they were trapped.  One guy jumped out suffering burns and tried to pull others out but was unable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel for the families.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel for the families.

Fucking hell.  Did the sim come off motion?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel for the families.

Fuuuuck.
I've spent a lot of time at the Learjet center in ICT.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel for the families.

Jesus, what a horrible way to go. Makes me feel like a gigantic ass for the stupid comment.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a brave guy. I hope he makes a full recovery and is recognized for his effort.

Honestly, I've always felt that a sim building was as safe a building as there was.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FSI has King Air training in ATL
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As you know all to well, it's too soon to speculate, except to say that perhaps the MX probably wasn't accomplished correctly.

A Kingair is an easy to fly aircraft, with simple and robust systems.   As long as it's put together correctly.     I have years of experience picking up planes from MX at ICT, and most of it was good, but not all.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've (my unit) had some King Airs straight out of phase that tried to kill their crews. It does happen. And the PT-6 has a great performance record, so it simply failing right out of depot seems odd.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#27]
ummm. You can reduce power.  Much better than a vmc roll into flight safety.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Wichita at the Raytheon center.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man we haven't been called the Raytheon center in forever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top