Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2014 6:47:40 PM EDT
MCDonnell 220

I saw this airplane (there was only 1) in Colorado Springs in 1962.  Very spiffy aircraft. I suspect the low-mounted engines had something to do with it's non-success.

If I recall correctly, McDonnell donated it for crash testing but for whatever reason that never happened.  The donee listed it for sale in Trade-a-plane and Mcdonnell panicked because they were afraid some bozo would attempt to fly it and that they would still be liabel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Kind of B-58ish.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It's probably still rotting at El Paso. I used to lust over it when I was in and out of ELP back in my freight dog days.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's probably still rotting at El Paso. I used to lust over it when I was in and out of ELP back in my freight dog days.
View Quote

I'll see if I can find it tomorrow and take a pic.

Edited to add: It's over by the NASA hanger, according to Google Maps 31.794791,-106.38657

Jim
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The best picture I could get with my phone the last time I was in ELP.

I was more interested in the three F-106 airframes that were for sale..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top