Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 7:38:58 PM EDT
I was looking into starting training for my private pilot license.  It something I've been wanting to do since I was a kid but never had the money or time to do.  One of the things I was worried about was getting the medical certificate.  I have several health issues for which I take medication.  I have migraines at least twice a month that will last from an hour to a few days.  I take Paxil as a preventative and Nodolore, Flexeril, and Promethazine to treat the migraines.  I take Metoporol for high blood pressure.  I take Oxybutin for overactive bladder.  (I know.  TMI).  

Looking at the information I can find online it seems that Migraines may be a disqualification for a medical certificate.   Paxil, Flexeril, and Oxybutin are listed as not allowed for flying.   Does anyone know for certain if these are definite disqualifications or is it something that a doctor can sign off for and you can still get a medical certificate?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Talk to an AME on a "what if" basis, like "if someone took Paxil, could he get a medical?"  I would do the consult with an AME I didn't plan on using for a regular basis. Mine is a decent guy, but I've heard some are butt-holes.  Being an AME can be a really lucrative thing, so if it means they avoid any problem by denying your medical, there's no question about what will happen.  Also, I think some things that are heard can't be unheard, so be careful about what you say.  I've heard you shouldn't use your AME as your GP, because it could put you and him in awkward spots.   Whatever you do, get your medical before you plunk down serious money on flying.  If you can't get a medical, you will have just wasted all your money.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Join the AOPA and ask their medical people (you might have to sign up for this service).

I can't speak for the drugs you listed, but I had a buddy that failed his 3rd class because he was taking an SSRI. Paxil, I think, is an SSRI and this could cause an issue for you.  All is not lost. You can still learn to fly, just do Sport Pilot and don't tell anyone.

I'd join the AOPA and go that method. If you start to ask an AME, you are going to have to pay anyway AND they might just add it to your record and it may be bad. If you EVER fail a medical then you can't fly even Sport Pilot.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have taken Paxil, it is an SSRI and based off the side effects I got when I missed one dose, it would explain why they won't let you take them...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
If you think you're serious about learning to fly, don't just talk to any AME about getting your medical. You need to talk to Dr. Bruce Chein.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Paxil and Flexeril are both no go's.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you everyone for the info.  I have a feeling this is going to be a non-starter.  I'm going to try to get some guidance from an AME if I can do so without spending a ton of money.   I have no desire to work within the LSA limitations so if the answer is "no" then I will let it drop.  Considering the number of issues I have, I think I know what the answer will be.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#8]
If have to take all that shit, you don't need to be flying.  

Just honesty.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If have to take all that shit, you don't need to be flying.  

Just honesty.
View Quote

You can ask anonymously here:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Talk to an AME informally. You might be able to get on other meds and get cleared, tho gut feeling says no.

Finding a friend to take you flying for gas money would be your best bet. Worst case you can always pay a commercial/CFI to take you fling, or you can do the powered parachute or ultralight route.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you everyone for the info.  I have a feeling this is going to be a non-starter.  I'm going to try to get some guidance from an AME if I can do so without spending a ton of money.   I have no desire to work within the LSA limitations so if the answer is "no" then I will let it drop.  Considering the number of issues I have, I think I know what the answer will be.  
View Quote

LSA limitations are not that bad. While I have a medical and a regular PPL, I owned an LSA plane and it was fun as hell. Further, there is some push to get the third class medical removed. So I would not give up.

Now that being said, I would talk to a Dr about your conditions and if you are actually SAFE to fly. But don't let the LSA limitations push you away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top