Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2014 3:27:36 PM EDT
I'm gonna have the chance to go, but to only one.

I'm leaning towards U-H. Any reason to go to DC?

I'll be in Baltimore with a rental. DC I take the train, no brainer. U-H I take the car and park there?

ETA: I'll be going on a Weds or Thurs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Plenty of reason to do both, but U-H is a must if you can do only one - the Enola Gay, an SR-71, the shuttle Discovery... hard to top.  Yeah, just park there.  Get there late enough, and parking is free.  But, then you have less time.  Not sure when the cutoff is.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
How much time does it take?

There is a shuttle to DC. If I can expect to only spend a cpl of hours at each, I could do both. Park at UH, take shuttle to DC.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much time does it take?

There is a shuttle to DC. If I can expect to only spend a cpl of hours at each, I could do both. Park at UH, take shuttle to DC.
View Quote

I'd say you could knock out U-H in 2 hours - it's really just a giant hangar complex.  The main museum in DC can take at least half a day - more to read and what not - though much is more suited for kids.  Highlight there is Lunar Lander, from my point of view - but it's huge, with exhibits ranging from history of flight, to outer space exploration, to history of navigation.

EDIT:  U-H in the AM, then on to the main museum until close sounds like a good full day.  You real issue is going to be getting there and getting out - not sure the hourse now for the main museum, but it is not dependent on ambient daylight like U-H.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I could do this, but it looks tight

10am-12 U-H
12-1 train to DC
1-5 DC A&S
5-6 train back to U-H

Hmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Having been to both, my vote id for UH.

The one on the mall is great, but it doesn't have a shuttle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Having been to both, my vote id for UH.

The one on the mall is great, but it doesn't have a shuttle.
View Quote

Not to mention that U-H has so many "last of its kind" planes on exhibit. The last Arado 234, the last Boeing 307 Stratoliner, the last HE-219, the last Aichi M6A Seiran, the last Dornier 335, the last F9C Sparrowhawk, XV-15, and so on, and so on. They also have stuff that's almost that rare--1 of 2 P-26s, 1 of 4 P-61s, F3F, Ba 349,

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to the annex.  The mall aviation muesum is small but not bad for certain stuff.  I spent roughly 75 mins in there.  I had to take pictures.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Shuttle Discovery
A MMU
Enola Gay
Concorde
SR71
Udvar ftw
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Udvar-Hazy has a much larger collection.  The one on the Mall has more individually historic aircraft e.g. The Apollo 11, Hughes H-1, Bell X-1, etc.  If you want to look at record breaking/history making aircraft, it is a good collection.  The U-H has some good ones goo (Enola Gay), but it also has more variety of interesting examples of aircraft that you probably don't know by name.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Udvar-Hazy has a much larger collection.  The one on the Mall has more individually historic aircraft e.g. The Apollo 11, Hughes H-1, Bell X-1, etc.  If you want to look at record breaking/history making aircraft, it is a good collection.  The U-H has some good ones goo (Enola Gay), but it also has more variety of interesting examples of aircraft that you probably don't know by name.
View Quote
That pretty much sums it up.  The museum on the mall has some very important historical aircraft, but Udvar-Hazy has many many more aircraft.  I prefer the Hazy museum, which I've been to many times and can't wait to visit again.  I swear every time I go there I see something new.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Drive to uh, if you finish national firearms museum 20 min away.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Um, that just sealed the deal. Didn't know that was there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Driving from Baltimore, there are tollroads, depending on which way you go.  If it's the weekend, Route 66 to route 28 is an option.  Don't suggest it during the week unless its the middle of the day.

Parking at UH is $15 a carload before 4:00pm and plenty of parking. Admission is free.   Plenty to see, depending on schedule, there are guided tours, or you can your at your own pace.  Benefit of the guided tour is the stories and facts about the aircraft.  Here is a link to the floor plans - http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/floor-plans.cfm

NFM is free, donation accepted.  NRA HQ also has a nice range in the basement, worth a look even if you didn't bring your stuff.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Driving from Baltimore, there are tollroads, depending on which way you go.  If it's the weekend, Route 66 to route 28 is an option.  Don't suggest it during the week unless its the middle of the day.

Parking at UH is $15 a carload before 4:00pm and plenty of parking. Admission is free.   Plenty to see, depending on schedule, there are guided tours, or you can your at your own pace.  Benefit of the guided tour is the stories and facts about the aircraft.  Here is a link to the floor plans - http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/floor-plans.cfm

NFM is free, donation accepted.  NRA HQ also has a nice range in the basement, worth a look even if you didn't bring your stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be driving down from Hunt Valley (N of Baltimore) during the morning. It was my intent to try to be there when they opened at 10, but that will probably put me on all of the roads during rush hour. I could even try leaving really early and killing time when I get there.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
U-H, aside from the Enola Gay and SR-71, they have some very rare German and Japanese WW2 aircraft, plus some cool stuff back in the resto hangar. Another cool thing, the Corsair hanging up has Pappy Boyington's signature on it, try and find it!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Now that I see your avatar... if you have time for it, there used to be an indoor kart track a few miles from U-H called Allsports, and also a Ferrari dealership.  If you find yourself with time to spare between the museums, they might be worth a stop.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to Dulles.  Awesome exhibits.  Loads of aircraft to checkout.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:56:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. +1 for U-H.
Quoted:
U-H, aside from the Enola Gay and SR-71, they have some very rare German and Japanese WW2 aircraft, plus some cool stuff back in the resto hangar. Another cool thing, the Corsair hanging up has Pappy Boyington's signature on it, try and find it!

I saw it, back in a warehouse in MD, before U-H was built.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#19]
UH for sure, it is very worth it. If you go to DC do not take the shuttle to UH you will sit in traffic most of the day.

Vince
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Just brought relatives there yesterday, great tour even if you have been there before.  The docent aka guide was worth it.  Started at 2:00 and ended up at 4:45 with a 5 o'clock close on weekdays.  They are a wealth of knowledge and our docent had worked on the restorations of some of the planes.

Today was Great Falls VA side, which was nice since it was high 70's and not very crowded.  Nice view and brought a picnic (well Panera made) lunch and they have picnic tables.  Leaves are turning and paths fairly clear.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]
The plan is to drive to UH tomorrow, trying to arrive around noon.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too bad, you could see the actual airplane I flew across the Pacific several times, including my first crossing in the winter of 1987 if your downtown at The Mall.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Go see the Marine F-4, I have quite a few hours in it. That's how old I am.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got here. Mind is blown.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Isn't the Enola Gay at U-H?

That makes the trip worth it in itself.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes as well as an SR-71 and Space Shuttle Discovery.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Still here. Overwhelmed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Take a deep breath and figure out what you want to see in about 2 hours left before they close.  Rush hour will start in about 45 minutes.  

Quoted:
Still here. Overwhelmed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Too bad, you could see the actual airplane I flew across the Pacific several times, including my first crossing in the winter of 1987 if your downtown at The Mall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, details. What aircraft? I'll admit that after the U-H I had almost no interest going back to the Mall one because I spent my childhood at that one!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Still here. Overwhelmed.
View Quote

I used to live just down the road, would have been fun to link up. You'd never have to ask me twice to visit. Make sure to go upstairs in the back and look over the restoration hangars!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok. Fought 3 hrs of traffic to get back to hotel.
Should have just stayed and blown off work.

Still overwhelmed and a bit sad. Incredible place.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Go see the Marine F-4, I have quite a few hours in it. That's how old I am.  
View Quote

I said hi

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#33]
It didn't look that good back in the '80's.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, no Space Shuttle, but down here at Pima, we have a Blackbird, along with a Phantom, and a couple of big birds...

My favorite resident at Pima... The B-36 Peacemaker. Also present at the USAF Museum in Dayton. I want to go there and see Robin Old's Phantom and The Memphis Belle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I went to Pima back in '97.  I'd really like to get back out there again!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#37]
There were 3 wooden propeller blades on a pallet. The wing of the Goose is for size reference.

What is this propeller for?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#38]
They were part of the NASA Wind tunnel, the hub is on the right hand side just out of view. The item in the center behind the blue/yellow toolbox is a German WWII prototype flying wing that was tested in the wind tunnel.

Quoted:
There were 3 wooden propeller blades on a pallet. The wing of the Goose is for size reference.

<a href="http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/jestertooo/media/18E6EA60-B541-45B9-B3FD-5FDE17350752_zpswxzwrv6r.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s484/jestertooo/18E6EA60-B541-45B9-B3FD-5FDE17350752_zpswxzwrv6r.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They were part of the NASA Wind tunnel, the hub is on the right hand side just out of view. The item in the center behind the blue/yellow toolbox is a German WWII prototype flying wing that was tested in the wind tunnel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/jestertooo/media/18E6EA60-B541-45B9-B3FD-5FDE17350752_zpswxzwrv6r.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s484/jestertooo/18E6EA60-B541-45B9-B3FD-5FDE17350752_zpswxzwrv6r.jpg</a>

Thanks. I saw the spinner but not the hub. It's HUGE.

I spent some time drooling over the cool composite Dowty propeller.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top