User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2014 9:12:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
We are fucked.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The airlines are fucked, not all of us.

What I see happening is pilots will get hired and attend an ATP academy before they get upgraded to left seat.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
All future airline pilots will be former transgender flight attendants.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad I got mine done, just need to do the practical now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I know quite few people who took the writen in July.  Many of them are no where near having ATP minumums.  Those pilots now have 2 years to get there.

Still, after about two more years there will not be many new ATPs.  Maybe then the airlines will start paying a living wage.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Once again you can thank congress for a knee jerk reaction that would not have prevented the Colgen accident(United Express Q400, Buffalo).
Its quality not quantity of time.
If this were the medical field what Dr would spend 75-100K for an education and training then intern for 5 years at minimum wage only to start practicing medicine at minimum wage for years before making a living that tops out today at an avg of 200k. One guy in my class ended up working for Best Buy out of school because he could make more money there to pay his student loans back than Flight Instucting.

If i were starting over today or recomending to someone a career field I would steer away from aviation.
The old saying of "How do you make a little money in aviation? The answer- You start with a lot is never more true today.
I have been flying for a living for 26 years and wouldnt trade it for the world but from a practicle aspect It was hard enough to afford all the primary training and start a career back then much less today with the increased cost and now the extra burden that congress has inacted with the new mandaded times.
Most of the non flying public has no idea that a 1st year 1st officer with most regional airlines qualify for food stamps.
In 93 I brought home 600 a month with the airline I flew for.
For 6 years of my career I trained new 1st officers and Captains for airlines worldwide in several types of aircraft as well as hold a Masters in Aviation Safety Managment and Human Factors in Aviation and I can assure you that quantity of time will not solve the safety issue thet congress was trying to legislate. Its quality of time. I have better solutions to the problem without being such a burden to the industry but the goverment is smarter than I am and therfore doesnt care what I or the rest of the industry thinks.
Rant over.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Once again you can thank congress for a knee jerk reaction that would not have prevented the Colgen accadent(United Express Q400, Buffalo).

If this were the medical field what Dr would spend 75-100K for an education and training then intern for 5 years at minimum wage only to start practicing medicine at minimum wage for years before making a living that tops out today at an avg of 200k. One guy in my class ended up working for Best Buy out of school because he could make more money there to pay his student loans back than Flight Instucting.

If i were starting over today or recomending to someone a career field I would steer away from aviation.

The old saying of "How do you make a little money in aviation? The answer- You start with a lot is never more true today.

I have been flying for a living for 26 years and wouldnt trade it for the world but from a practicle aspect It was hard enough to afford all the primary training and start a career back then much less today with the increased cost and now the extra burden that congress has inacted with the new mandaded times.

Most of the non flying public has no idea that a 1st year 1st officer with most regional airlines qualify for food stamps.

For 6 years of my career I trained new 1st officers and Captains for airlines worldwide in several types of aircraft as well as hold a Masters in Aviation Safety Managment and Human Factors in Aviation and I can assure you that quantity of time will not solve the safety issue thet congress was trying to legislate. Its quality of time. I have better solutions to the problem without being such a burden to the industry but the goverment is smarter than I am and therfore doesnt care what I or the rest of the industry thinks.

Rant over.
View Quote

I would just recommend that they learn in the military if they can. If not find another vocation. As you point out, doing it out of your own pocket is not the way to go. I don't think we will ever see a shift in the Aviation Management Philosophy that has been proven to be fatal since day one. It took the auto industry nearly 20 years of getting the sh#t kicked out of them to BEGIN to change, and aviation doesn't have the off shore competition to do it. Congress never bothers to find out what the real problem is first, and Ocare is the greatest demonstration of that to date.

Mini rant over.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All future airline pilots will be former transgender flight attendants.
View Quote

LOL

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Once again you can thank congress for a knee jerk reaction that would not have prevented the Colgen accident(United Express Q400, Buffalo).

Rant over.

View Quote

The highest and finest  "quality" civilian training  time does not prepare anyone to fly jets at 250-300 hours.  Sorry, but it does not.
The commuter's will have to raise pay substantially to fill positions.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like the market for autonomous cockpits will be opening up soon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fighter pilots fly by themselves in aircraft with nearly unlimited performance at 300 hours or so.
View Quote

What is the military hiring and training regimen vs the civilian hiring and training regimen?  Therein lies the key.
I edited my first post to leave out military as it is a very different animal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I know nothing about airlines, but it seems like an ideal free market situation to me...  The government identified a risk(low pilot experience) and made a rule to reduce the risk(require more experience).  The market will adapt and the net result will be pilots with more experience.  

You can still right seat without ATP, correct?  So no immediate effect.  If ATPs start getting harder to find then employers will start to cough up $ to enable their right seaters to get their ATP.  I don't see the big deal, but then again I know nothing about airlines so I don't know what I don't know.....  

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know nothing about airlines, but it seems like an ideal free market situation to me...  The government identified a risk(low pilot experience) and made a rule to reduce the risk(require more experience).  The market will adapt and the net result will be pilots with more experience.  

You can still right seat without ATP, correct?  So no immediate effect.  If ATPs start getting harder to find then employers will start to cough up $ to enable their right seaters to get their ATP.  I don't see the big deal, but then again I know nothing about airlines so I don't know what I don't know.....  

View Quote

It is a good thing as far as the flying public is concerned.  But I'm pretty sure an ATP will be required for right seat also (after a certain date.). It is a good thing as far as commuter pilot pay as they will be forced to raise pay to fill seats.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It is a good thing as far as the flying public is concerned.  
View Quote

I agree, and I don't see the downside to entering the airline pilot workforce(assuming you can right seat without your ATP).  So isn't this a good example of ideal government?  Protecting the general population while minimizing interference with the free market?  
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh I understand. I was presenting the counterpoint.

The article is quite striking. Just who is going to be an airline pilot in 10 years?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fighter pilots fly by themselves in aircraft with nearly unlimited performance at 300 hours or so.

What is the military hiring and training regimen vs the civilian hiring and training regimen?  Therein lies the key.
I edited my first post to leave out military.

The article is quite striking. Just who is going to be an airline pilot in 10 years?
i agree this is a problem, it is a problem the airlines brought upon themselves.

They can fix the problem with pay.  There are plenty of seasoned ATP pilots that refuse to work for poverty wages.  Lots of Americans flying in Asia right niw because that is where the money is at.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The airlines are fucked, not all of us.

What I see happening is pilots will get hired and attend an ATP academy before they get upgraded to left seat.
View Quote

Actually, you need your ATP for any seat now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What I would like to see is a continuation of the FAAs existing rules on military wings = commercial+inst+multi... (+rotary for you, CFII) to include AC = ATP.  Granted, these include equivalency tests, but I would like to see the hour requirements waived.

In all honesty though, I think there will be a work around in the next year or two on this whole ATP thing anyway... Either that or the airlines are going to start footing the bill or offering cheap financing on a heavily subsidized ATP course for their new hires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I would like to see is a continuation of the FAAs existing rules on military wings = commercial+inst+multi... (+rotary for you, CFII) to include AC = ATP.  Granted, these include equivalency tests, but I would like to see the hour requirements waived.

In all honesty though, I think there will be a work around in the next year or two on this whole ATP thing anyway... Either that or the airlines are going to start footing the bill or offering cheap financing on a heavily subsidized ATP course for their new hires.

Screw hiring competent experienced pilots and safety, we have profits to make.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You would be surprised at some of the guys flying fighters.  There are guys who I look over my shoulder at when they are joining on me to make sure I don't get killed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You cannot fly right seat without at least a restricted ATP anymore. Part 121 at least.

I am one of those guys that took it before the rule change, I took mine July 30th. As of today I have 207 hours, but I'm a CFI so I will probably have the time in two years. I'm in the process of getting into a fixed wing army guard unit, if so I'll be able to get my restricted ATP at 750 hours.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You cannot fly right seat without at least a restricted ATP anymore. Part 121 at least.

I am one of those guys that took it before the rule change, I took mine July 30th. As of today I have 207 hours, but I'm a CFI so I will probably have the time in two years. I'm in the process of getting into a fixed wing army guard unit, if so I'll be able to get my restricted ATP at 750 hours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in FL are you?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being a military aviator, chinooks to be exact, i think that a mil rating = ATP is flat out retarded.   Sure many guys are up to it. But far too many no talent ass clowns are out there and would auger in a flight if given the chance.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Being a military aviator, chinooks to be exact, i think that a mil rating = ATP is flat out retarded.   Sure many guys are up to it. But far too many no talent ass clowns are out there and would auger in a flight if given the chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Although I'm a junior aviator I agree that a straight mil = ATP is not good for rotary wing.  My stick buddy in flight school was a window licker but still has wings.  I think a reduced hour requirement would maybe work.

Disclaimer: I'm not claiming to be Chuck Yeager or anything but there are dumbasses out there with wings.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree, and I don't see the downside to entering the airline pilot workforce(assuming you can right seat without your ATP).  So isn't this a good example of ideal government?  Protecting the general population while minimizing interference with the free market?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This does not really protect the general population. What it does do is make being a professional pilot much more difficult. One might think that means that the airline are going to start paying more…. Nope, since it will cost more to get a pilot his ATP they will just make it part of the training and not increase pay a bit. For example, Northwest Airlink at one point had a deal where you paid for your training in the SAAB and you worked it off. You had to work I think two years at less than 15K a year to "pay them back" for your training.

I expect more of this will happen.

Som airline will hire a guy that has almost enough hours and will put them through training and charge them for the training.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This does not really protect the general population. What it does do is make being a professional pilot much more difficult. One might think that means that the airline are going to start paying more…. Nope, since it will cost more to get a pilot his ATP they will just make it part of the training and not increase pay a bit. For example, Northwest Airlink at one point had a deal where you paid for your training in the SAAB and you worked it off. You had to work I think two years at less than 15K a year to "pay them back" for your training.

Som airline will hire a guy that has almost enough hours and will put them through training and charge them for the training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won't be able to fill the positions without raising pay.  It is a problem of their own making.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They won't be able to fill the positions without raising pay.  It is a problem of their own making.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. While the new atp pre reqs suck, there are a few places offering the sim and class time for $4500-$5000.

The biggest hurdle is getting the 1500 hours to get the restricted atp. Most, myself included are flight instructing to get the time.. Making very little.

The instructors that I have worked with that are getting into regionals in the last six months have gotten a signing bonus and their atp check ride in their hiring process.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Sporty's pilot shop has the class advertised for ATP with sim sessions, $4,800 ish I believe. Thats a whole lot better than the original $15,000 estimates, but still a real deal breaker for many.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#34]
There are plenty of ATPs already out there - the industry just needs to start paying more for them to leave their current non-flying jobs and reenter the airlines.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

300 hour fighter pilots don't have to drag around "baggage".
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I think what you'll see down the road is that you'll just need the ATP minimums and all the sim requirements needed, will be attained as part of training for the airline.  I was given my ATP as part of my checkride as a new hire at a regional.  Once all the qualified candidates are hired and they start struggling to fill classes, I think you'll see the airlines open up to this idea...but not a moment to soon!

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure we do...our baggage comes in 500 or 2,000 lbs packages!

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some airline will hire a guy that has almost enough hours and will put them through training and charge them for the training.

As long as people are willing to take the job, they will find a way to get the qualifications without raising the pay they give the pilots. Lots of people thought no one would pay for their own type rating, yet people were lining up out the door to pay 20K (IIRC) to get typed and fly for NW airlink back in the day for 15K  year salary. Heck I still see ads in the rags where you can pay for right seat time. In the Shorts it was 16K dollars for 200 hours.

No one thought people would PAY to work. But they do.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#39]
When I flew for a regional in 93-94 my starting pay after taxes was 600 a month.
The unions have a bad habit of supporting where their money is.
They tend to the regionals as a barging tool for the major airlines but don't work hard for an above poverty pay for the regionals but they are happy for your money.
The public only sees a published hourly rate but don't realize it is based on your monthly projected hours in the air.
You do not get paid for time at the gate.
A FAR 121 airline is limited to 1000 per year so at 24 per hour equates to 24000/yr before taxes and union dues are taken out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top