Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 11:07:50 PM EDT
Is it me, or is the idea of a TRACON failure shutting down two of the busiest airports somewhat puzzling.

Is there a good reason why a combination of CENTRAP, spacing and tower en route couldn't have pushed at some portion of the traffic out?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is it me, or is the idea of a TRACON failure shutting down two of the busiest airports somewhat puzzling.

Is there a good reason why a combination of CENTRAP, spacing and tower en route couldn't have pushed at some portion of the traffic out?
View Quote

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/air_traffic_services/artcc/

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't get it. How does a TRACON failure cause that. The radars still work, just on CENTRAP, right?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Not an expert on air traffic, perhaps someone who is can better answer. My understanding was that only that center could handle the higher altitude flights in that area.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I know the rules for carriers, IFR or don't go, but heard old stories of US carriers cancelling IFR and going VFR cross country @ 10,000'.
Just like old stories of Capt calling for direct and first officers asking what heading to Tulsa?
Capt points out the windscreen saying its about over there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:15:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure this is the same story...a buddy of mine that flys for envoy said some nut cut a crap ton of wires then set a lot of equipment on fire. He said Chicago, midway (I think) and Milwaukee could be shutdown for a month. They caught the guy just as he was trying to cut his own throat. Just passing what I was told along.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure this is the same story...a buddy of mine that flys for envoy said some nut cut a crap ton of wires then set a lot of equipment on fire. He said Chicago, midway (I think) and Milwaukee could be shutdown for a month. They caught the guy just as he was trying to cut his own throat. Just passing what I was told along.
View Quote

Looks like they are up and running, just at reduced capacity.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-airports-rebounding-from-airtraffic-system-shut-down-20140927-story.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top