Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2014 1:13:55 AM EDT
44,000lbs , DRY WEIGHT, according to Lockheed Martin.

Seriously, how the fuck (and lets be honest, WHY THE FUCK) can such an aircraft be so heavy? That's heavier than an 18 wheeler in some cases. I thought these things were made out of unicorn materials like kevlar / carbon, magnesium and titanium?

Are the wings made out of fucking lead and inconel?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
There IS a lot of heavy metals used in the airframe, inconel among them.

I'm sure there is an abundance of miracle fiber stuff too, but that ain't all that light either. Add in the weights of the specialized avionics, radar and other stuff, landing gear, it's easy to see how a plane can get fat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:44:54 AM EDT
[#2]
They are bigger than they look.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, though lower to the ground that an F-15, up close they are big bastards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:10:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, suddenly since we actually killed people with one, its time to have 5 threads on the F22?

Go ahead, bash it. Name the air superiority fighter that will kick its ass on the regular. Go ahead.
View Quote

Shit, name any 4 Air Superiority fighters that will kick one Raptors ass.

You can't. It's THAT good. (Most of the 'Kill shots' that you see by F/A-18's are hitting Raptors in the pattern at Langley)

As for the Weight... Remember, it's got 70,000 pounds of thrust for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:21:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, suddenly since we actually killed people with one, its time to have 5 threads on the F22?

Go ahead, bash it. Name the air superiority supremacy fighter that will kick its ass on the regular. Go ahead.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Think about the engineering that needs to take place to keep even 20k pounds from ripping itself apart while maneuvering at multiple Gs while more or less suspended by the wings.

The skeleton/structure to do that has got to be substantial.   Add in the fact that it must do this with huge assed heavy engines and whatever it is carrying for fuel/munitions and it is easy to see it get heavy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that because of stealth technology?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:52:39 AM EDT
[#9]
If you ever see one flying with an F16 on the wing it will make more sense.  They are big.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:56:04 AM EDT
[#10]
The math is really simple 44,000 pounds of dead lift.

+ fuel and lubes.

+ Rockets, bombs, 30mm ordinance.

Go to the gym now and hit the weights see how close you can get
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Go ahead, bash it. Name the air superiority fighter that will kick its ass on the regular. Go ahead.
View Quote

The EffTurdyFyve if our overlords are to be believed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
F35 and F18e/F is 33kish , the 22's wing area is about twice as much.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
WHY ARE GIANT METAL THINGS HEAVY
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd love to see the spec sheet on the treadmills they use to launch those things.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

F-4 was the size of a Greyhound, wasn't it? I remember my dad telling me when they first got to the Naval Academy the bus parked by a display F-4, and he realized just how big the plane was!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]
F-14 was about the same weight.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#18]
F-105 max T.O. weight was a little over 52k#.
You had to be able to climb a tall ass-ladder to load up-off in it too!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

F-4 was the size of a Greyhound, wasn't it? I remember my dad telling me when they first got to the Naval Academy the bus parked by a display F-4, and he realized just how big the plane was!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a bus...with boundary layer control
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The math is really simple 44,000 pounds of dead lift.

+ fuel and lubes.

+ Rockets, bombs, 30mm ordinance. ordnance

Go to the gym now and hit the weights see how close you can get
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#21]
If you think the F-22 is big you'ld be amazed at how big a Flanker is
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The F-4 was big, but the first time I saw one next to an F-14 I realized just how small it was.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I would have to say most of the  nickel based Alloys like inconel would be in the engines . ( for heat)
But I'm not sure what the frame would be made off ? None corrosive you would think.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
The empty weight is nothing. MTOW is about 84000lbs. That's the same as a DC-9, ladies.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one has ever suggested the JSF would be an air superiority aircraft, nor that it would kick the F22's ass.

They're two completely different birds for two completely different missions.  They have essentially nothing in common.  The main advantage the JSF has is that its avionics and weapons systems are about two decades newer, but kinematically it's not designed to do the things the F22 is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
WHY ARE GIANT METAL THINGS HEAVY
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Guess I'm into big girls because that is one of the best looking birds I've ever seen
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#30]
The  paint is rather heavy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's being used against fighters? Huh, that's news.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No one has ever suggested the JSF would be an air superiority aircraft, nor that it would kick the F22's ass.

They're two completely different birds for two completely different missions.  They have essentially nothing in common.  The main advantage the JSF has is that its avionics and weapons systems are about two decades newer, but kinematically it's not designed to do the things the F22 is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Which is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is?

air superiority.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

air superiority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is?

air superiority.

I guess I'm confused, then.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

air superiority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is?

air superiority.

Clarifying, the F-22 is designed to do one thing well, Air Superiority. Everything else is secondary, despite the fact that it can penetrate air defenses that nothing else can.

The F-35 is designed as a Strike Fighter first. It's designed to deliver bombs on targets, including targets that are heavily defended. It's air superiority skills are purely secondary.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Watch this video, and notice how small the P51 looks.

Then look at this picture of a jeep and some people next to a P51.

http://fitzvideo.com/sky_surfing/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/P-51Jeep2012-03-31-08_16_52-id1.jpg
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#37]
If you ever get a chance to watch the demo flight of the F-22, and see what unbelievable things this bird can do, you will quickly understand this bird needs to be built beefy and strong to support the G loads they can go through.  Watching a 44k lb plus fighter gracefully tumble through the ski is a sight to behold.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Clarifying, the F-22 is designed to do one thing well, Air Superiority. Everything else is secondary, despite the fact that it can penetrate air defenses that nothing else can.

The F-35 is designed as a Strike Fighter first. It's designed to deliver bombs on targets, including targets that are heavily defended. It's air superiority skills are purely secondary.
View Quote

In case I wasn't clear, this is what I was trying to say.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you ever get a chance to watch the demo flight of the F-22, and see what unbelievable things this bird can do, you will quickly understand this bird needs to be built beefy and strong to support the G loads they can go through.  Watching a 44k lb plus fighter gracefully tumble through the ski is a sight to behold.
View Quote

Takes a lot of that to sling ordnance into the sand, does it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#40]
The smallest of the CRJ's I fly, 200, weighs in at 53k. It's not a big plane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top