Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2014 11:06:04 AM EDT
Just doing my usual morning browsing and I came across this. I figured you guys be interested in reading.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
9 pages....good lawd...

I'll let the cat out of the bag....ice formed on the Pitot? tubes giving false info to the computers in the ifr flight conditions
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
While there is indeed lots of blame on the pilots, I'll predict that the author does not fly jets for a living.  He seems to casually assume that once the pilots were given corrupted flight data that it was easy to carry on thinking that all of the other data was legitimate. Should it have been figured out over the course of a few minutes? Yes, it would seem. But, we are taught in the sims that problems don't usually heal themselves especially right away.  An initial moment of confusion of such a rare failure of both airspeed indicators would have the average pilot thinking of a bigger picture (such as air data computer failure, thus altitude and vertical speed errors) I would hope.

The "full aft stick" BS not withstanding...!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top