Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2014 9:26:39 PM EDT
I guess it isn't surprising that the Canadian Broadcasting Company would make this film but I had no idea it existed.  The whole thing is on YouTube here.

Stars Dan Aykroyd as the president of AVRO Canada and Michael Ironside (both Canadian actors).  It was the most-watched CBC program in Canadian history according to Wikipedia.

I'll have to find some time to watch it tomorrow....

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet, thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I watched it (it was poring down rain and ruined my range plans ).

Interesting movie and am not surprised with he political bullshit, especially in that era.

Woulda been one hell of a plane and woulda put the hurt on some US designs and maybe even influenced a few.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't watched it, but did run across some related videos while checking the link.  Ended up watching .  Similar type of program that was cancelled do to cost overruns and political strong-arming.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't watched it, but did run across some related videos while checking the link.  Ended up watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o53u0X0Ik0w.  Similar type of program that was cancelled do to cost overruns and political strong-arming.
View Quote

One of those is at IWM Duxford.  I'm sure I've seen it but had never heard of it at the time so passed by it without realizing what I was looking at

The Arrow replica is in the Canadian Air & Space Museum.  I'm thinking of taking a weekend road trip and checking it out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the Arrow movie link.  I watched the whole thing.  Never heard of it before.

Some excellent related and unrelated videos on the youtube sidebar.

Arrow-related documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sFRiacvNYo
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The arrow was a head of its time. Would have have the century series a run for the money.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Just watched the film. Thanks for posting, OP.
I had no idea till now that there was/is a conspiracy that Arrow 206 escaped destruction, and in the act broke all speed and altitude records, performed a 2G turn at 50,000' at supersonic cruise without losing altitude, flew to the edge of space, flamed out, stalled out, lost all control and altitude only to regain control moments before crashing, all with an illicit engineer passenger aboard, then had enough remaining fuel to fly far away to destinations unknown and remain in hiding for 60 years. Simply amazing. I believe it.
As a matter of fact I've never felt so certain that it was Arrow 206 that shot down TWA800. I'm betting flight 800 had onboard the family of the Canadian prime minister that terminated the Arrow program. It was a revenge killing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just watched the film. Thanks for posting, OP.
I had no idea till now that there was/is a conspiracy that Arrow 206 escaped destruction, and in the act broke all speed and altitude records, performed a 2G turn at 50,000' at supersonic cruise without losing altitude, flew to the edge of space, flamed out, stalled out, lost all control and altitude only to regain control moments before crashing, all with an illicit engineer passenger aboard, then had enough remaining fuel to fly far away to destinations unknown and remain in hiding for 60 years. Simply amazing. I believe it.
As a matter of fact I've never felt so certain that it was Arrow 206 that shot down TWA800. I'm betting flight 800 had onboard the family of the Canadian prime minister that terminated the Arrow program. It was a revenge killing.
View Quote

LOL. Yeah, it is pretty "fantastic" story telling but there was definitely something afoot with the Arrow.  It reminds me of the YB-49 in this country.  Like the Arrow when the YB-49 Flying Wing program was suddenly canceled all the airframes were immediately broken up and melted down.  Scorched earth.  And there were quite a few of them.  Amazing, notable, cutting edge, unique, historically significant aircraft and not one remains, not even parts.  It is a real shame.  There really should be one at the USAF museum alongside the B-36.

Love this picture, 11 airframes:

There ARE other sources that suggest that one Arrow is still out there.  Would be a pretty cool barn find if it ever turns up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The arrow was a head of its time. Would have have the century series a run for the money.
View Quote

The Century series, with the exception of the -100, were single mission turds, most of whom were obsolete before fielding.

The Arrow was going down the same road. An awesome airplane, whose mission was obsolete.

The TSR.2 wasn't much better.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Century series, with the exception of the -100, were single mission turds, most of whom were obsolete before fielding.

The Arrow was going down the same road. An awesome airplane, whose mission was obsolete.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it.

Airforce saw the writing on the wall and canceled the F-108 Rapier program as well as the XB-70 program. Terrific expense for obsolete mission. I seem to recall that the F-108 was to have even better specs than the Arrow. Nomatter. Not worth the expense to even explore it. Already obsolete before it was off the drawing table.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks OP. As an Air Force brat, I am interested in all things airplane. This was/is a cool story. If Ike was actually involved as portrayed, then a fuck be upon him on principle
Good movie though, glad I saw it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top