Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 3:38:45 PM EDT
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — An Indiana teenager who was attempting to set a record for an around-the-world flight has died in a crash over the Pacific Ocean, a family spokeswoman said Wednesday.

Takeoff at night over water? Spatial Disorientation? Or something else?

http://news.yahoo.com/spokeswoman-indiana-teen-pilot-dies-crash-200351494.html
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The MIT kid made it.....  

I don't get all these kids trying to do something at the youngest possible age.  It would make me do a double take on their judgement if they were interviewing for a job.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Jessica Dubroff, anyone?

-p.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
This "Youngest Record Breaker" crap is getting stupid.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Fucking retarded way to kill yourself.     It was as fake as the Jessica Dubroff attempt anyway.  

You aren't the "youngest" anything unless you are solo.

My son was the youngest kid to pilot a twin engine jet from DEN to SBA.    he didn't ask for money or fame.  

Ironically, we both survived.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Very sad.

Probably way over gross weight with fuel and extra equipment they carried.

The person who posted "You aren't the "youngest" anything unless you are solo. " was right on the money.

Dad / instructor pilot in other seat. My dog could fly anything anywhere under those conditions.

I soloed when I was 16. If I remember correctly I was the only person in the plane.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Whats the point?  What a waste!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fucking retarded way to kill yourself.     It was as fake as the Jessica Dubroff attempt anyway.  

My son was the youngest kid to pilot a twin engine jet from DEN to SBA.    he didn't ask for money or fame.  

View Quote

Actually , I was the youngest. As a kid I flew a national airlines 727 from Orlando to New York. I flew many other flights as well . :)
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Actually , I was the youngest. As a kid I flew a national airlines 727 from Orlando to New York. I flew many other flights as well . :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You had one engine shut down the whole time?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Attempting to set these sorts of records seems to be akin to trying to be the person to fly closest to something. Attempting to set a record by doing something using readily available equipment that nobody else has done, simply because they've known better than to try it, should be left for the darwin award candidates.

Around the world without refueling -- ok. Longest flight in a glider is a record to attempt to break as well. Crossing the Atlantic gets a pass as well, especially doing it solo with no instruments but a compass and an inclinometer and no anti-icing. Hell, that french guy who crossed the English channel made one hell of an accomplishment as well. In all of those cases, there was innovation in the equipment and the pilot to enable such feats.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I wonder why they decided to fly at night.  If they had given up trying to break a record, flying at night seems like an unnecessary risk.  It may just have been a case of the "get there-itis" that has claimed many, many private pilots.

Also, I didn't see anything about how much experience (especially instrument) the father had.   At 17yo, the boy likely didn't have many IFR hours and especially "real life" instrument experience.    Flying at night, over water, and in an isolated area can be quite dangerous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top