Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:50:03 AM EDT
I work as an instrument technician and figured what the hell, you guys have any questions I MAY be able to answer?

We (my repair station) work in general aviation, not commercial.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay I'll play.

We've got a Caravan with KX-165s that consistently loses comm 1 about 30-40 miles from source. They've replaced the radio, coax cable, antenna, checked grounds and cleaned connections. All to no avail.

Meanwhile comm 2 is clear as day.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay I'll play.

We've got a Caravan with KX-165s that consistently loses comm 1 about 30-40 miles from source. They've replaced the radio, coax cable, antenna, checked grounds and cleaned connections. All to no avail.

View Quote

I know you said you cleaned the contacts on the connectors but did you open them and check for cold solder joints or broken wires? I'd start at the radio mounting tray backplate connectors. If you had a broken wire that was still making contact (albeit shitty contact) it could attenuate the signal so that when it's strong you hear it fine, but once it starts to weaken, well you know..

Might even swap out the mounting tray backplate all together. If you guys need one to try out, PM me and Ill see if we have one floating around work that we could spare as a loaner.

I don't know how much help I am but wish you luck man.. These are the problems that drive a person nuts.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've taken our avionics guy up twice to test it in flight and I know it's driving him nuts.

Whenever he does fix it I'll post up the fix. I'm curious myself.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Say you open a kick panel on the pedestal of a Lear and find a single loose wire. It's not soldered and there are no connectors missing a wire.

How do you go about determining what the wire connects to. Assume everything in the aircraft works.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Say you open a kick panel on the pedestal of a Lear and find a single loose wire. It's not soldered and there are no connectors missing a wire.

How do you go about determining what the wire connects to. Assume everything in the aircraft works.
View Quote

Any luck that wire has a number you could look up in a wiring diagram? What are the odds its' for illumination or some sort of feedback lamp that wouldn't necessarily effect operation of the system, but could go unnoticed?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any luck that wire has a number you could look up in a wiring diagram? What are the odds its' for illumination or some sort of feedback lamp that wouldn't necessarily effect operation of the system, but could go unnoticed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No markings, all cockpit lights work.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we are talking a random 20ga wire floating around in there? Any chance you could post a pic? Not that it would necessarily make a difference, a wire is a wire..
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Totally random little bastard, no chance of a picture at this point.  My guess is a ground for the Garmin head unit.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Totally random little bastard, no chance of a picture at this point.  My guess is a ground for the Garmin head unit.
View Quote

Ahh, you could put a meter on it and verify it goes to ground, or to the head unit.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#10]
How many ID10T's in your shop now?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ahh, you could put a meter on it and verify it goes to ground, or to the head unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already did that, doesn't ring as a ground.

After today's flight it may be the satellite WX data input.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn, that joke gets funnier each time I hear it. You going to ask me to grab a yard of flight line or a gallon of propwash next?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a C195 with a non waas 430 and a King xponder. What's the cheapest way to meet the 2020  ADS-B requirement?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just start pulling on it........  
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already tried that...Pretty sure we found it the other night and I'm going to fix it shortly.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got a C195 with a non waas 430 and a King xponder. What's the cheapest way to meet the 2020  ADS-B requirement?
View Quote

First off, good looking plan the C195.

Secondly, I'm not afraid to say this may be out of my expertise. Although I fix a lot of these things, I can't really tell you which is the cheapest way to meet the requirement.

Thirdly, who in aviation ever thought ANYTHING would be "cheap"?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:35:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Already tried that...Pretty sure we found it the other night and I'm going to fix it shortly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the rudder move when you yanked on it?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but only with the aileron interconnect. Those suckers both started pointing down!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I was kidding about cheap, around here we refer to $ as aviation units. $1000= 1 aviation unit. Looks like I'm spending 8-9 aviation units on upgrading my 430 and adding a GDL 88.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Damn, that joke gets funnier each time I hear it. You going to ask me to grab a yard of flight line or a gallon of propwash next?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya got a set of rivet stretchers I can borrow?  

Oh wait,   You're a sparky....
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, a sparky that went to A&P school as well!
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly,  that's the area I'm weakest at, is avionics.    My discipline is structures, welding, and mechanical.     Got my "A" thru OJT in a 145 repair station.  Not enough practical to get "P".    Wish I had my P though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Do you run across any unrepairable instruments that a guy building a flight simulator could possibly acquire affordably?

...acquiring just the front face plates/chassis and buttons from a Bendix-King radio stack would be my holy grail.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I work as an instrument technician and figured what the hell, you guys have any questions I MAY be able to answer?

We (my repair station) work in general aviation, not commercial.
View Quote
Where about would repair station be located?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#25]
How many people come to you guys and ask you to jerry-rig their radio for just one take off?

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:06:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Okay I'll play.

View Quote

I have a few questions:
When you say com2 is clear all day does this mean you just loose receiver audio? Or is transmit range also an issue? If radios were swapped its an aircraft problem. So here are some things to check. I'm going to assume this is a Cessna factory install.
Has a SWR and power output check been accomplished?
Has the antenna been removed and the ground plane been inspected for corrosion?
The coax rack connector could also be an issue, if transmit range is an issue.
The antenna could also be an issue itself, matching coil may be intermittent under vibration.
When they checked the coax have them verify center conductor is not open, or shorted.
Has any other avionics work been accomplished? Was anyone behind the instrument panel before this started. If the coax is tied up too tight, or smashed by a tyrap that can attenuate the signal. Theres more to check wish I had more info on history and what's been done already. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top