Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2014 4:37:35 AM EDT
With the upcoming changes next month to the ATP requirements there is a rush at the squadron to get in under the old rules.  I never intended to get it, but figured it might help the resume for the day I actually have to grow up and get a real job.  If you were thinking about getting it, you might want do it prior to July 31st of this year.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
At least take the written. Gives you 2 years to finish the rating under the current rule.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At least take the written. Gives you 2 years to finish the rating under the current rule.
View Quote

That is my plan.  Gives me time and maybe leverage if the next set of orders suck.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
There are a lot of folks around the squadron who are doing or have done the same thing.  Even the Lts and copilots.  Years ago, talking about it around work would have been frowned upon.  Now it's pretty much encouraged.  Times are a changin'.
Sheppard Air FTW!
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sheppard Air FTW!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sheppard Air FTW!

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are a lot of folks around the squadron who are doing or have done the same thing.  Even the Lts and copilots.  Years ago, talking about it around work would have been frowned upon.  Now it's pretty much encouraged.  Times are a changin'.
Sheppard Air FTW!
View Quote

Why would it be taboo to talk about getting an ATP or any civilian rating?

That's like saying continuing civilian education is frowned upon since you needed a degree to be a zoomie to begin with?

While funds and availability last, we pay for our pilots to get an ATP while meeting their required simulator requirements. You of course have to pay to take your own written.

It's a career enhancing certification overall and at little cost in reality.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I am not yet commercially rated. What are the requirements to take the ATP written?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's like saying continuing civilian education is frowned upon since you needed a degree to be a zoomie to begin with?

While funds and availability last, we pay for our pilots to get an ATP while meeting their required simulator requirements. You of course have to pay to take your own written.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sheppard Air FTW!

When I was active duty at the RTU, the Wing ADO had a TAC Patch that instead of saying "Tactical Air Command" read " Fuck The Airlines"

You were treated  as a traitor  if it got out you were applying to the airlines or putting in your papers.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sheppard Air FTW!

The Air Force couldn't care less if you have any civilian ratings or prior experience.  Doesn't matter.  Nothing is gained for them if you are furthering your abilities as an aviator, outside of their programs.   Same logic is behind academic degrees.  Doesn't matter what you have or are getting your degree in, just that you have one (exception being some of the tech degrees).   Funny thing is, a continuing civilian education is pretty much required for officers, at the expense of flying knowledge, quality of work around the squadron, and deployability.

Like Mach said, "showing your cards" to some commanders means you will get crappy assignments.  If you aren't a company man, in some circles, you've destroyed your chances or getting a good assignment, etc.  It used to be that you kept your desires beyond the AF under wraps.  Nowadays, there are so many people jumping ship, it isn't really all that strange.  Plus, a good number of commanders realize this and encourage you to look out for yourself.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Concur with the above, some sort of twisted social engineering.  If your desire is anything but a fleet CO you might as well give up getting any quals.  There are some exceptions, I was lucky enough TPS was sort of an exception.  I do think it did limited some of my progress in the  fleet as I was upfront with it from day one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am not yet commercially rated. What are the requirements to take the ATP written?
View Quote

I'm not sure if you're able to take the written without a commercial but an instructor endorsement is not required for the ATP written.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I was active duty at the RTU, the Wing ADO had a TAC Patch that instead of saying "Tactical Air Command" read " Fuck The Airlines"

You were treated  as a traitor  if it got out you were applying to the airlines or putting in your papers.
View Quote

Is he now an airline pilot?  Possibly throwing gear for one of his former punks?

It's always fun discussing airlines when we're TDY with an AD squadron...especially when some of their leadership/lifers are around.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
How does the mil rule work?  Is it 750TT if you're military trained, or do you have to have 750 mil time.  I have more than 750TT but not 750 mil yet... what should I do?

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sheppard Air FTW!

I could get an MBA from Harvard or a PhD in nuclear engineering and it would be frowned upon vs. company grade PME that primarily consists of bros meeting up with their laptops and getting shitfaced while CTRL+Fing a PDF while taking a "test" together.  What a joke.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is a good question. Its probably up to the local FSDO

I am in the same boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does the mil rule work?  Is it 750TT if you're military trained, or do you have to have 750 mil time.  I have more than 750TT but not 750 mil yet... what should I do?

I am in the same boat.

That is to get a restricted atp and work as a first officer. You would still need a reg atp for pic. So basically you'll need to fly in the military for 15 years to meet the required 1500 hours. Lol
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, spent 8 hours on Saturday and 10 hours yesterday with the Sheppard software.  Did the test today and got a 95.  Now to do the practical.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That is to get a restricted atp and work as a first officer. You would still need a reg atp for pic. So basically you'll need to fly in the military for 15 years to meet the required 1500 hours. Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in the same boat.

More like 20 or more the way flight time is getting handed out right now
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I broke 1500 this year.  12 years in, I think 11 years flying maybe a little less.  Tacair mostly an hour at a time, besides basic school and ocs I have only been on flying orders.  I'd say it is slow.  Most folks would have been a little further time in service as they'd have probably had two none flying gigs (2-3 more years).
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I broke 1500 this year.  12 years in, I think 11 years flying maybe a little less.  Tacair mostly an hour at a time, besides basic school and ocs I have only been on flying orders.  I'd say it is slow.  Most folks would have been a little further time in service as they'd have probably had two none flying gigs (2-3 more years).
View Quote

I had 4700 hours, from 1999 to 2008. About 5 hours since then.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flying what?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Got mine done as has everyone I know in the squadron...literally everyone. CC, DO...even the brand new Co who isn't even MQT'd has taken the ATP written.

I'm a first assignment guy and have over 1500 in the KC-135. Pretty crazy to see guys with 10 years in and less hours...guess there is an upside to our ops tempo!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Flying what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flying what?

Civilian time all. Mostly shit boxes.

B1900, Dash 8, ERJ, B400, B200, Dash 8 again. Bunch of piston twin and single time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven't been paying much attention and just found out about the rule change five days ago. The past couple days have been a little stressful, but I passed the written this morning.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sheppard Air FTW!

I never could get ahold of them. I think they've been slammed.

I used the Dauntless app for the iPad. It was worth the cost.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sheppard Air FTW!

They stopped selling the ATP software a week or so ago to focus on tech support. I got an 85 yesterday
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#28]
My 70 year old father just called me about 30 seconds ago to tell me he just passed the ATP written. He never would have pursued the ATP until the gov attempted to make it unobtainable. This Sept marks his 50th year of aviating. I couldn't be prouder.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My 70 year old father just called me about 30 seconds ago to tell me he just passed the ATP written. He never would have pursued the ATP until the gov attempted to make it unobtainable. This Sept marks his 50th year of aviating. I couldn't be prouder.
View Quote

That's pretty cool.  Congrats to your father!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top