Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2014 9:15:25 PM EDT
Got to help my buddies down the ramp do an annual one.  Nifty little motorglider.  Has a 2 litre Limbach engine, which is essentially a VW type IV/Porsche 914 engine (which is why I was asked to help as I'm an aircooled VW guy besides being an A&P).  Cable operated adjustable/feathering prop.  QD wings and tail for trailering.  

Just a cool, well thought out little plane.  

ETA:  The one thing I didn't like: single mag.  The points were pitted to hell and the condenser was holding on by just a few strands.  The owner may have been screwed at somepoint if he needed the motor part of motorglider.  

I guess that's why we do inspections.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Nifty little motorglider.
View Quote

Quoted:
ETA:  The one thing I didn't like: single mag.  
View Quote

Sounds like it was meant to fly without an engine at times...Sorry, I had to.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I got to fly one a few years back.  It is the only glider I have ever flown in.  I found the feathering mechanism intriguing by pulling on a cable.  When we were 12 miles out from the airport, we shut the engine off at 2000 feet and still had to use spoilers to land.  I liked it and have always wanted to get a glider rating since then.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got to fly one a few years back.  It is the only glider I have ever flown in.  I found the feathering mechanism intriguing by pulling on a cable.  When we were 12 miles out from the airport, we shut the engine off at 2000 feet and still had to use spoilers to land.  I liked it and have always wanted to get a glider rating since then.
View Quote

Cool, 30:1 glide ratio is what I was told.  

Is that your Luscombe in your avatar?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Got to help my buddies down the ramp do an annual one.  Nifty little motorglider.  Has a 2 litre Limbach engine, which is essentially a VW type IV/Porsche 914 engine (which is why I was asked to help as I'm an aircooled VW guy besides being an A&P).  Cable operated adjustable/feathering prop.  QD wings and tail for trailering.  

ETA:  The one thing I didn't like: single mag.  The points were pitted to hell and the condenser was holding on by just a few strands.  The owner may have been screwed at somepoint if he needed the motor part of motorglider.  

View Quote

The single-mag VW setup is VERY, very common in experimental aviation... A whole bunch of homebuilts were designed around them, including the Teenie 2 & KR series...
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The single-mag VW setup is VERY, very common in experimental aviation... A whole bunch of homebuilts were designed around them, including the Teenie 2 & KR series...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, my roots are in experimentals (VERY familiar with both of those airframes, esp the 1/2 VW Teenies).  With the homebuilts though I think its foolish to not run a CDI backup or a dual points plate in a distributor and forget yhr mags.  As this is certified though you don't have that leeway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, its mine.   It is a 1950 8F with a C90, electrical system and flaps.  It is fun to fly.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, its mine.   It is a 1950 8F with a C90, electrical system and flaps.  It is fun to fly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Beautiful plane.  I've had the privelage of working on an 8A with a very stuck exhaust valve (C65).  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing it was a straight-in approach?  That's a glide ratio of at least 31 to reach the runway at 0AGL.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, it was a very hot day with cumulus clouds and updrafts.  I was fascinated when we would climb a little bit holding a constant airspeed. I need to revisit this as there is a new glider club near here and they need tow pilots who are tailwheel current.  Maybe I can trade out some time.

ETA: how do you learn to tow a sailplane in a single place pawnee?  I don't see any issues with flying a Pawnee, but how do you learn how to tow?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Beautiful plane.  I've had the privelage of working on an 8A with a very stuck exhaust valve (C65).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to jinx myself, but I have never had a stuck valve and I have three airplanes with Continental engines (o-200, c-90, and C-85)  It seems that it happens alot, though, as I used to work in a shop and we had that problem come through the door quite a bit.  A friend of mine built a tool for stuck valves and I have one just in case.  There is always rope or an electric drill and Hoppes number 9!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ETA: how do you learn to tow a sailplane in a single place pawnee?  I don't see any issues with flying a Pawnee, but how do you learn how to tow?
View Quote

I've often wondered about this.

I just fly the gliders and don't ask questions
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't want to jinx myself, but I have never had a stuck valve and I have three airplanes with Continental engines (o-200, c-90, and C-85)  It seems that it happens alot, though, as I used to work in a shop and we had that problem come through the door quite a bit.  A friend of mine built a tool for stuck valves and I have one just in case.  There is always rope or an electric drill and Hoppes number 9!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just run leaded gas and rich of peak and youll be fine.  And the rope trick "works", but if you get stuck at a repair station they won't do it.  Lycoming (oddly enough) is the only company to PUBLISH the rope method as "approved data" for inspecting exhaust valve stems (per a SB via an AD).  

I ran into this while working for a part 145 shop.  All the old timers know the trick (how I learned it), but nowdays, especially at a repair station, its a no go on a Continental.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top