Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 12:03:56 AM EDT
How many glider pilots do we have on ARFCOM?  I thought it might be neat to post up some photos from the 2014 soaring season.

I'm a student and I'm shooting for my certification this year.  I flew most of last summer in this Grob 103.  
So far: I have 5 short solo flights and a couple of great thermal & wave days under my belt.  I'm hooked!

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a passenger in a sailplane once.

Or I have been an instructor and/or student for 87,000 simulated engine out emergencies in various singe engine planes.  Do either of those count?

RC
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Commercial Glider here.  Haven't had a chance to use it much the last few years though.  Sure miss it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Flew about 10 hours in the Schweizer 2-33 back about 10+ years ago.  Since then, have gone on 3 flights in Oahu.  One was an aerobatic.  Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I got a chance to ride in a Puchacz glider abouut 10 years ago, and another short ride in another one about a year later. It is a bizarre feeling watching your powerplant fly away....
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Planning on picking up my glider add-on this year.  Looks like a blast, just haven't had the time the last few years.  Hopefully, add glider to my CFI certificate in a few years rather than sit through another american flyers FIRC.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a friggin' gorgeous day for thermal soaring.  
Out my office window, all I can see are beautiful flat-bottom cumulous clouds for miles and miles.  

I want to go flying!

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Flown r/c sailplanes for 30 years.  Waiting on the sorta local glider club to get their act together so I can add that rating.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would like a glider rating. It seems so nice to fly something smooth and quiet. I love helicopters, but they are neither smooth or quiet.
View Quote

Gliders are indeed quiet, but they're bumpy as hell on a good thermal soaring day!  Atmospheric instability makes a lot of lift, but also a lot of turbulence.

Wave flying is super smooth, but you have to fly through some horrendous rotors to get to the waves.   Last time I went, if I would have taken my belt harness off I probably would have been bounced right through the canopy!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I had my first lesson yesterday since the Fall season ended.  Holy smokes, did I have some rust to knock off my piloting skills.

I fully understand now why there are mandatory check-rides at the start every season!
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Gonna bump this one more time before I let the thread die off :)  Must not be many glider guys on this forum, but just in case one sees it today.

I flew a soaring solo yesterday.  Weather wasn't great for thermal activity, but I had lots of great practice trying to ride the few thermals I found!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top