Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 4:54:00 AM EDT
Does anyone have any good leads or advice for a brand new instructor looking for a job?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, no leads, just general advice.

First, be willing and ready to move.  Borrow money if you need to.  Live in squalor if needed.  Don't worry about pay.  It's going to suck.  You'll be lucky to live through it.

Get a job with a busy flight school which has a busy 141 school.  Ab initio - foreign students, etc.  it needs to be in the South.  FL, AZ, TX, CA etc.   can't fly IFR in the winter up north (or shouldn't).  

Flt school needs to have lots of IFR/Comm students, and also an active Multiengine program.  That multi time is gold.  

Do a side business of washing airplanes for extra money.  Ask around. KingAirs need it A lot.  TP and corp jets use drywash.  Spray it on, wipe it off.    It's hard physical work, but also a great way to meet multi engine connections.  One good connection can change your life.  

The key is to get flight time fast.   There actually is a shortage developing, and it's going to run for short time.  There will be turnover at all levels.  Then the industry is going to suck for another decade.  You are in a good position, but need to move fast.

Lastly, don't die.   It's easier said than done.  It's your judgement that will keep you alive.  (And a little bit of luck)

Those regionals are going to need pilots bad within a year.  You want to be hired early in the wave.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
15 years ago I was working at one of the busiest schools in Southern California.  They never hired by resume.  You needed to show up at the front desk and ask for a job.

MEII went a lot farther in getting the job as well.  Looks like you've got all three which is good.

We were a very busy school with mostly foreign students.  All of them wanting a multi commercial certificate.  My first year I flew 850 hours with 350 of it multi.  Less than 75 hours of that was primary instruction.  Most of it was instrument and multi.

I'd suggest heading to Arizona, Florida, or possibly California and knock on the doors of all of the big schools.  Otherwise all of the ATP locations.  

I wouldn't look for the highest paying job, but one where you can fly the most.   I watched guys that were instructing well before me go to a 135 job while I went straight to a regional because they didn't have the multi time.  A few of them work at the same airline I do now with a year or two less seniority than I have.

I'd presume you know about the coming changes to the ATP written stuff.   Get it done now if you haven't.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Move to Florida.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry I have been away. Thank you all for the words of advice, my plan is to move south, WI just does not have enough prospective pilots to support  flight instruction.
I am thinking Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, (I really want to stay out of California) any others I should look at?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:26:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't know where you're at but a friend in OKC said the place he flys at we're looking for instructors.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry I have been away. Thank you all for the words of advice, my plan is to move south, WI just does not have enough prospective pilots to support  flight instruction.
I am thinking Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, (I really want to stay out of California) any others I should look at?
View Quote

Join Climbto350.com, it's cheap and several schools are advertising for instructors right now.

Where are you in Wisconsin?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Join Climbto350.com, it's cheap and several schools are advertising for instructors right now.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do.
Oshkosh area.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, if you're close to southwestern PA (Pittsburgh area), the school I instruct at right now is looking for new instructors. Me and another instructor are coming up on our hours here soon so we'll be leaving after that. That'll bring the grand total of instructors up to two. Plus we're a 141 school, so we get a lot of students coming through.

EDIT: Missed you're last post saying you're in WI. Nevermind

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Try Gran-Aire, Inc at MWC if you wind up staying in the WI area.  They've had some turnover lately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top