Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#1]
That Ryanair 737 at 9:10 probably shortened the tire life of that jet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the takeoff rolls where they start skidding before they even rotate.

The runway being like a roller coaster doesn't really help the landings much.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice compilation.  

Wouldn't mind flying a turboprop or corp jet into there, but not an airliner.  

The buildings must really tear the wind up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Bah...humbug.......where were the tailwheel airplanes in all them side-wind movie pitcherz? Very few of them Kaydets were accomplished at the art of feet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bah...humbug.......where were the tailwheel airplanes in all them side-wind movie pitcherz? Very few of them Kaydets were accomplished at the art of feet.
View Quote

Here you go.  Cross wind fun in the Champ. The wind was blasting higher up.  It's not every day I get to climb at 650 fpm, while flying backwards at 10 mph.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Ah yes, nothing more exciting in aviation than trying to push the rudder pedal through the floorboard.  God knows I have tried.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
In several of those videos it is revealed that the pilot manipulating the controls was "yoking-off".  

Lots of those guys looked like they learned to fly in an Ercoupe.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#8]
damn, who built that runway?

the local pub drinking team?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like the deck on a British jumpjet carrier
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The pilots should buy a couple rounds, and get them to build another one headed the other way.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In several of those videos it is revealed that the pilot manipulating the controls was "yoking-off".  

View Quote

I believe the rudder/ailerons are linked on airbus's.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ummm, no

other than the flight control computer. Scarebus die by wire aircraft are just that
'fly-by-wire' flight controls.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ummm, no

other than the flight control computer. Scarebus die by wire aircraft are just that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ummm, no

Most of them let the tires do all of the work.  Of the planes that did apply any rudder, I only saw a couple of the smaller planes actually cross the controls.  The rest got blown sideways.  Is there a reason why few of them side-slip?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or B-52's
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Most of them let the tires do all of the work.  Of the planes that did apply any rudder, I only saw a couple of the smaller planes actually cross the controls.  The rest got blown sideways.  Is there a reason why few of them side-slip?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ummm, no

It's generally considered bad technique to cross control a swept wing airplane.  It can be done safely, in fact when doing an auto land, at least on the MD-80, thats exactly what the auto pilot does. Every Boeing manual I've ever seen says you can crab to the flare, and "kick it out", or apply opposite rudder and aileron.  On the -80, we have had a problem with wing tip strikes in strong cross winds, and in the  airplanes with wing mounted engines, you can drag an engine pod, or flap hinge fairing if you have too much bank in at touchdown.  We had to do maximum crosswind landings in the sim, and were able to transition to a slip at 500' with no ill effects.  

Every swept wing transport airplane I can think of also has roll spoilers, that augment the ailerons at slow speed, if you have enough aileron put in, the roll spoilers come up also.  So you can generate a lot of extra drag on that side.  You can induce a dutch roll, or if you loose an engine on takeoff, you want minimal spoiler deployment, to save that lift component.  I've also been told that you can interrupt the airflow into the engine if you aggressively slip, but I've never heard of a case where it actually happened.

I've seen, and done both.  I think that transitioning to a slip from 100' or so, makes better, more consistent landings.  Just a personal observation, the guys who came from fighters usually are the loudest against any cross controlling.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's generally considered bad technique to cross control a swept wing airplane.  It can be done safely, in fact when doing an auto land, at least on the MD-80, thats exactly what the auto pilot does. Every Boeing manual I've ever seen says you can crab to the flare, and "kick it out", or apply opposite rudder and aileron.  On the -80, we have had a problem with wing tip strikes in strong cross winds, and in the  airplanes with wing mounted engines, you can drag an engine pod, or flap hinge fairing if you have too much bank in at touchdown.  We had to do maximum crosswind landings in the sim, and were able to transition to a slip at 500' with no ill effects.  

Every swept wing transport airplane I can think of also has roll spoilers, that augment the ailerons at slow speed, if you have enough aileron put in, the roll spoilers come up also.  So you can generate a lot of extra drag on that side.  You can induce a dutch roll, or if you loose an engine on takeoff, you want minimal spoiler deployment, to save that lift component.  I've also been told that you can interrupt the airflow into the engine if you aggressively slip, but I've never heard of a case where it actually happened.

I've seen, and done both.  I think that transitioning to a slip from 100' or so, makes better, more consistent landings.  Just a personal observation, the guys who came from fighters usually are the loudest against any cross controlling.
View Quote

Hmmm... interesting.  How common is it to blow a tire in those situations?  I was on a 727 into DFW once that landed in a crab like that, and I swear I felt the gear flex.  Overhead compartments popped open, a cart came crashing out of the galley, women screamed...   I wondered then why the pilot didn't correct for the crosswind.  I assumed that it would be standard aviating.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:44:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hmmm... interesting.  How common is it to blow a tire in those situations?  I was on a 727 into DFW once that landed in a crab like that, and I swear I felt the gear flex.  Overhead compartments popped open, a cart came crashing out of the galley, women screamed...   I wondered then why the pilot didn't correct for the crosswind.  I assumed that it would be standard aviating.  Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all pilots are created equal. In a drawer full of knives some are sharper than others
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Here you go.  Cross wind fun in the Champ. The wind was blasting higher up.  It's not every day I get to climb at 650 fpm, while flying backwards at 10 mph.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n_HUhQ4hRY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n_HUhQ4hRY

Nice! Here's one of me

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top