Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2014 10:25:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Obviously there was no disciplinary action as per the article, but is it safe to assume that this guy's careers is over, or that he'll be flying a desk from now on?

Considering the cost of the jet and mistakes made, I'm wondering what the real consequences were.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Reads like it was written by someone that doesn't understand how Hornet systems work (like every aviation article, right?)
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Lost a plane because they didn't want to land at Kandahar.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#5]
That appears to have become one ugly snowball.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Jeezus
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It definitely seems sensationalized.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reads like it was written by someone that doesn't understand how Hornet systems work (like every aviation article, right?)

It definitely seems sensationalized.

Do you have access to navy SIRs? If so it is a good read.  I didn't go to the link as the beginning seemed over sensationalized.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lost a plane because they didn't want to land at Kandahar.

View Quote

Who has final authorization to tell the pilot where to land?

How far away was the jet from the nearest land compared to the carrier when the fuel line broke?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Obviously there was no disciplinary action as per the article, but is it safe to assume that this guy's careers is over, or that he'll be flying a desk from now on?

Considering the cost of the jet and mistakes made, I'm wondering what the real consequences were.
View Quote

Wouldn't bet on that.  If he was otherwise considered a "good stick" he'll be back flying again, provided he didn't get a disqualifying injury in the ejection.

I'm a little concerned that he did not seem to know everything there was to know about his airplane though... like that fuel transfer pumps were disabled when the refueling probe is extended.  On the bright side, that's a factoid that will be seared into every F/A-18 pilot's brain for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Once again, another preventable hull loss had only one or two links been removed from the chain leading up to the crash. The command decision regarding not pre positioning maintenance in Theater of Operation due to cost and the unstated pressure to return to the boat no matter what will most likely go un punished.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Once again, another preventable hull loss had only one or two links been removed from the chain leading up to the crash. The command decision regarding not pre positioning maintenance in Theater of Operation due to cost and the unstated pressure to return to the boat no matter what will most likely go un punished.
View Quote

I've turned a few F-18s that came in to our airshows without undue excitement.  Landing and getting the basket removed and a fresh tank of gas on sure seems a better risk decision than losing an airframe.  Worst case even if the jet was hard broken it would at least be sitting on friendly concrete able to wait for a repair team.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know the culture of Navy pilots, but having your refuel capability ruined, extra junk hanging from your jet in a "dirty" configuration, and abnormal engine indications would seem to be GREAT reasons to pick a nearby runway for repair vs. trying to make it back to the ship with limited fuel.
***Monday morning quarterbacking***
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:06:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Shitty situation.  They lived thankfully.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Pilot's lack of communication with his crewmate was disappointing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pilot's lack of communication with his crewmate was disappointing.
View Quote

That's the only major negative I noticed, though I do agree they should have made for Kandahar after the initial incident.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Not discounting what may be poor CRM during the flight but the 3rd hand info I've seen is that the NFO is very pleased to still be among the living. The pilot got them out while they were still in the ejection envelope and with an uncommanded roll at 1200 feet that window was very small.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wish I better understood the reasoning to fly a broke jet hundreds of miles away from a perfectly good airfield, but I dont (it could be just a difference in opinion).

I am glad the both lived, and can fight another day.
View Quote

We've had a good number of BDA (boom drogue adapters) end up hanging off the probe of various receiver aircraft.  My guess is that it didn't seem to be too serious a condition since it happens with some frequency.  I'm sure he knew that putting it down at Kandahar would take the aircraft and crew out of the fight for at least two days while they flew in a maintenance team to fix the jet and get them out of town again.  The part I can't figured out is when the starboard engine took a shit why he didn't head for Kandahar.  Attempting a single engine carrier landing in a multi engine jet landing when surrounded by land masses with runways on them sounds foolhardy no matter what aircraft it is.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wish I better understood the reasoning to fly a broke jet hundreds of miles away from a perfectly good airfield, but I dont (it could be just a difference in opinion).

I am glad the both lived, and can fight another day.
View Quote

Agreed, I also wish the pilot had a better understanding of his airplanes systems and capabilities as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Most likely get some grief for this, but I'll say it.  Going back to the boat is a cultural thing.  Big deck navy depends on the carrier for existence and it is the end all be all for them.  It is their home.  All services do some sort of koolaid drinking, that is the navy's. Good on them for being loyal, but is costs them sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#21]
A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush seems to apply here.  Judgment is the most important quality a pilot can have.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That helps. I was really curious, but for that, I can understand. I still think it would have been prudent to land, but that is just my .02
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most likely get some grief for this, but I'll say it.  Going back to the boat is a cultural thing.  Big deck navy depends on the carrier for existence and it is the end all be all for them.  It is their home.  All services do some sort of koolaid drinking, that is the navy's. Good on them for being loyal, but is costs them sometimes.

That helps. I was really curious, but for that, I can understand. I still think it would have been prudent to land, but that is just my .02

yep not disagreeing with you, any excuse to get off the boat for me.  If I remember correctly, the pilot and wso were somewhat jr; a more senior guy might have landed.  things change as you get experience, at least they did for me.  it is neat to see the different cultures being around several services again, Navy and Marines are close cousins, but the AF is a different animal.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Eesh.  CRM, much?

Glad they both survived but they're going to be an example of what not to do for a long time to come.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top