Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2014 3:54:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the pitch range of something like that?  What is the negative pitch capabilities for a regular bird, I assume would only be used for autos?

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean pitch on the blades?  Helicopter blades don't go negative pitch.  

Minimum thrust is generally a couple % of the max aircraft weight and max thrust varies a lot, from 80%  of the gross weight up to maybe 200-300% depending on what it's designed for and how much load it's carrying.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]

The lynx is a bad bird!  World record holder as fastest helicopter from what I recall.  These dudes are nuts though!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:09:36 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as stress on the aircraft, the attitude of a helicopter matters very little.  Upside down, right side up, whatever.  The biggest factor by far is the aggressiveness of a maneuver and the resulting pitch/roll/yaw rates of the aircraft.  

Virtually all helicopters with more than 2 blades can easily do any basic aerobatic maneuvers.  There's no practical need for it and helicopters fly close to the ground, so minor errors in such maneuvers have bad outcomes.   So aerobatics are rarely done in helicopters.  

2 bladed helicopters must maintain significantly positive G at all times.  Given the low airspeeds and draggy nature of helicopters, this makes even 1 g aerobatic maneuvers too difficult and risky to attempt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:18:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:44:03 AM EDT
[#8]
FRANK MURPHY: "MEH...any tub of $h1t can do that..."

Seriously, what an amazing bird, and amazing flying
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The pitch change links are adjusted for a certain rotor RPM range in an autorotation by the MTP. Its based on DA and weight.

As for the angle of incidence to be negative, well, I have heard of some Navies setting the aircraft up so they would "stick" to the deck if needed.

For the rest of us its just basically flat pitch.

In the Kiowa we were prohibited from pulling negative Gs. The Apache can pull some.

It puts a lot of stress on already highly dynamic components.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the pitch range of something like that?  What is the negative pitch capabilities for a regular bird, I assume would only be used for autos?

The pitch change links are adjusted for a certain rotor RPM range in an autorotation by the MTP. Its based on DA and weight.

As for the angle of incidence to be negative, well, I have heard of some Navies setting the aircraft up so they would "stick" to the deck if needed.

For the rest of us its just basically flat pitch.

In the Kiowa we were prohibited from pulling negative Gs. The Apache can pull some.

It puts a lot of stress on already highly dynamic components.

So typically an auto rotation would be 0 pitch to start?

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Define 0 pitch.  

All helicopter blades are twisted so an entire blade is never at the same pitch.  
The minimum pitch of a helicopter rotor will always generate some thrust in order to be capable of autorotating.  
When autorotating you constantly change the collective pitch to keep the rotor speed where you want it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Define 0 pitch.  

All helicopter blades are twisted so an entire blade is never at the same pitch.  

The minimum pitch of a helicopter rotor will always generate some thrust in order to be capable of autorotating.  

When autorotating you constantly change the collective pitch to keep the rotor speed where you want it.
View Quote

Zero pitch would be zero lift, provided we are talking a symmetrical blade.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
No symmetrical blades on any modern helicopter.  And all blades are twisted, so you can't have 0 lift everywhere on a blade.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:57:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here are some pitch ranges for some modern helicopters.
View Quote

You need to clarify your verbiage.  "Pitch range" is ambiguous at best.  Throwing numbers like that around only muddies the water, they're meaningless without context.  

If you mean the angular range of how much a blade can physically change AOA, then what is 0 and where is the measurement taken?  What position are the controls in when the measurements are taken?  Where in the rotation axis are the blades?  All those things change the numbers.  

You're basically saying a 300lb guy is better at football than a 250lb guy.  Is that true?  Obviously the answer is "it depends".
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Here are some pitch ranges for some modern helicopters.

R22 Beta [+1.5  +14.5];

300C [+3  +15];

Bell 412 [0  +16];

MD500E [0  +14.3];

CH-53E [-1.4 +19.6];

BK117 [-1.8 +13.3];

BO105CB [-0.2 +15];

UH-60A [+9.9 +25.9]
View Quote

Thanks for the answer.

Wow, 26 degrees of pitch for the UH-60.  I was just up close with a UH-60 rotor head today, sexy piece of engineering.  

I watched a CH-53 land on a golf course next to my apartment about 6 years ago.  It drew a lot of attention, that thing is a beast.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow, 26 degrees of pitch for the UH-60

View Quote

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, 26 degrees of pitch for the UH-60

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top