BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 1:45:29 PM EDT
Haven't seen this one before.

Cool Sabreliner Video
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Best pilot in the world? Yeah, that is probably fair.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to edit that title before more people see it...

Edit:
I got a ride in the Shrike with him at a young age...
View Quote

I must have missed what my fat fingers did or didn't type in the title.

I met him several times at OSH, got to see the Shrike routine several times, and the P-51 once.  The greatest thing, IMHO about bob, is that he is a very down to earth person.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Edit:

View Quote
<------------ As the owner of a Shrike, I've had the great fortune to have dinner with Bob a couple of times, and talk to him on several other occasions. He actually heard that I purchased my airplane (in 1999) after seeing his show, and called me on the phone. Unfortunately he's pretty much stone deaf from all that airplane noise, so it was just a couple of minutes of shouting, haha. What an awesome guy.

/TCP

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
ALL Bob Hoover videos are cool.

I met him at Daytona SkyFest where he did his first airshow after getting his medical back from the FAA . I was flying a 560E Commander at the time and asked him if he wanted to trade even up.

He said he would've, but his sponsors might get mad. He autographed my son's hat after that.

Awesome gentleman.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the opportunity a few years back to fly Bob Hoover and Chuck Yeager and their families to several cities doing a tour for various reasons.
After being around both for the better part of a whole day, I walked away with tremendous respect for Hoover....the other guy........not so much.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't compete with you guys who've flown with him or the other legends though I do have a former VP and other celebrities on my passenger list. But among my earliest memories are watching Hoover in his Mustang and later in the Commander at various airshows. I have several autographed teeshirts to this day. He really defines what I always thought and think of 'cool' and 'pilot.' I'm just sad that heros of my time just won't endure the detritus that passes for heroes today.

RC

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#9]
That was pretty badass!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Where can I see the documentary?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I was fortunate enough to meet him. a true hero. thanks Bob
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

<------------ As the owner of a Shrike, I've had the great fortune to have dinner with Bob a couple of times, and talk to him on several other occasions. He actually heard that I purchased my airplane (in 1999) after seeing his show, and called me on the phone. Unfortunately he's pretty much stone deaf from all that airplane noise, so it was just a couple of minutes of shouting, haha. What an awesome guy.

/TCP

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit:

/TCP

Lucky.  I dunno why, always loved that plane.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

/TCP

Commanders are fun airplanes.  I've got some time in a 695A (jet prop 1000), wish I had more.  When I was a kid, my dad spent some time flying a 680W, I always loved riding in the back, and watching the gear go through it's motions through the "picture window".  When I was flying freight in a C-404 in MIchigan, my buddy was flying a 680FL up in Nebraska, back then I always wished I'd been flying the commander, instead of the titan.

I'd hate to be paying the bills for any commander right now.  But if anyone has a renaissance that I could take around the patch once, let me know!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I met Bob Hoover years ago at sun n fun. I flew a T34-B to the show. Mr. Hoover spent a few minutes with me and signed my helmet bag, Really good guy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Greatest pilot ever.

I met him at an airshow in Ohio, and he told the most amazing story about flying a prototype F-86D over Edwards.  I guess the horizontal stab controls went out, and he landed the airplane at ~280knots on the lakebed with no pitch control at all.  Everyone wanted him to bail out, but he viewed it as his responsibility to get the plane down safely so that the engineers could diagnose the problem.  Otherwise it would just happen again to some poor airman over Korea.  I have the most profound respect for Mr. Hoover as both a pilot and a professional.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I've seen him and said hi to him a few times when I was younger at various air shows.

Super nice guy.

My son saw him on the speaking tour with Yeager and has great
things to say about Bob Hoover.

I've seen him fly the Mustang, the Aero Commander, A T-28 and the Sabreliner.

Best pilot ever?

For sure !!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Commanders are fun airplanes.  I've got some time in a 695A (jet prop 1000), wish I had more.  When I was a kid, my dad spent some time flying a 680W, I always loved riding in the back, and watching the gear go through it's motions through the "picture window".  When I was flying freight in a C-404 in MIchigan, my buddy was flying a 680FL up in Nebraska, back then I always wished I'd been flying the commander, instead of the titan.

I'd hate to be paying the bills for any commander right now.  But if anyone has a renaissance that I could take around the patch once, let me know!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

/TCP

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Is that Fargo Jet Center at FAR? I recognize that Homewood Suites.

RC
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#19]
What the FAA did to that man is nothing short of criminal.  Learning about that incident was the first thing that lead to my contempt for big.gov.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#20]
" if you are faced with a forced landing, FLY THE THING as far into the crash as possible" Bob Hover....
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
" if you are faced with a forced landing, FLY THE THING as far into the crash as possible" Bob Hover....
View Quote

True story. The longer you fly through the crash and you remain in control the better your chances of survival. Land it sunny side up and as slow and flat and in as much control as you can muster and there's a decent chance you can walk...or crawl...away. Ive seen pictures of heaps of aluminum that once were airplanes that people have walked out of. Keep it together until the plane stops and you have an astronomically better chance of telling the story over drinks later.

RC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top