Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2014 8:20:47 PM EDT
Im interested in going to ERAU for their aeronautical science program. I want to be an airline pilot. Has anyone been here or have any information? Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
For what it is worth, (I'm not trying to crap on anyone with an ERAU degree, it is a good school) I din't think the airlines or anyone else really cares where your degree is from or what it is in.  ERAU does have a great online school.  I don't think the regionals care if you have a degree or not only if you are willing to fly for poverty wages.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#3]
A soft degree like that will not help you get a good flying job any more than another unrelated degree.  Get the education you want though, not the one you think you need.  

I would join the mitary if I wanted to be a professional pilot.   For every guy who ate ramen for a decade to be a pilot there's 10 military guys who were landing jets on boats, flying helicopters in the trees blowing stuff up, or flying a $1b jet around the world.  Often with just a few hundred hours.  And they get paid very well.  At erau you'll get a few hundred hours in a shitty airplane and probably only be able to get jobs that dont even cover your student loans.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#4]
No one cares what degree you have in aviation, just that you have a degree. Go to a state school and get an accounting, business, or engineering degree then go fly.

Do not go anywhere near an aviation degree...ask me how I know.

Plenty of my friends graduated college $175k in debt between their degree and flight training...And now after 5 years on the job they're making a whopping $28k per year after having been furloughed twice.

Unless you're on the GI Bill or full scholarshipped stay away from Riddle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No one cares what degree you have in aviation, just that you have a degree. Go to a state school and get an accounting, business, or engineering degree then go fly.
View Quote

That's actually not true.  I haven't read the new FARs, but from what I understand having an aviation degree reduces the requirements for an ATP.

That being said, going $100k+ in debt for anything other than a JD, MD, or equivalent isn't worth it.  If you have a scholarship then it might change the equation.

I think the military is the best route if you want to fly.  While CFI dudes will be grinding, flying around at 114 knots in 172s and 152s for pennies an hour, you'll be taking jets to the boat, dropping bombs, breaking the number, pulling 7.5g, and other badass shit, all while making lifelong friends.  And getting paid more.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Pick up a copy of the FAR's and read it. All of it.

If you're not ready to gouge your eyes out when done, aviation is for you!

If I were you I'd get my ppl vfr first and go from there. It's cheaper.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't get an aviation degree.  Get a degree in a field that you can make a living at, when you are furloughed, or if you lose your medical.  the ONLY benefit of an aviation degree is the reduced time required for the ATP.

And for god's sake, if you must go to Riddle, go to Prescott.  At least the grads from there are normal, decent to fly with people.  The Daytona grads are a very close second to Perdue grads for the #1 worst new hires to fly with.

Think about it, do you really want to spend your college years watching Top Gun and arguing if the ILS is normal or reverse sensing, if you are inverted with a bunch of other guys in the dorm?

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh man. Just like everyone said  +87. I went to Spartan back in '99-2001. Probably not the school that Embry is/was but everyone I know that left there went eventually to major airlines. Most of them are still there. Those who aren't decided that there was more money in commercial real estate and suing big pharmaceutical companies. I have been Part 135 and mostly Part 91 since. Despite my screen name I fly a lot of corporate turboprops and Citations and I make a great living and have a great job. I work as little as I have to and play as much as I get to. If I had to do it over again I would probably do the same. Flying beats working yet it's the hardest you will ever work to not have to have a job.

With all of that said I do suggest getting a real degree. I got one after the pilot market crashed in '01 and am thinking about another just because I feel like eventually I will have to grow up and get a real job.

RC

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't do it dude.  You'll wind up in tons of debt and have very few hours when you get out of school.  Plus your degree isn't worth much outside of aviation.  Go to a good school and get a degree in something useful (business, engineer, etc.).  Do your flying on the side.   That's what I did.  I had 2500 hours when I graduated from college (corp flying and instructing) with an econ degree and went straight to a major (continental) at 22.  I've since left commercial aviation and I'm now in the business world but I enjoyed my time flying.   I still stay up with it and own an bonanza.  It would have been a disaster for me if I'd been over my head in debt.

Plus its a dude fest at riddle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with everyone here. As the owner of an aviation receipt from a state school...don't do it. If you can hack the school, get an engineering degree. Learn to fly on the side Part 61 and have a solid education that can pay the bills if you need it to.  I flew for a short while after college, before moving away from driving airplanes and into the management side of aviation manufacturing and simulation (which I absolutely love by the way). A different degree combined with my flying experience would have made that move easier, and commanded a larger salary sooner.  Fly if you want to; it is an absolute blast, but use your degree to insure yourself a means to make a solid living outside of a cockpit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll make this simple....

1. When you turn 18, enlist in the Air National Guard (or reserve). Pick a field where you interact with pilots on a regular basis (enlisted aircrew, maintenance, etc).
2. Don't be a douchebag, buy the pilots a beer while on a trip, WORK HARD, let them know you want to fly.
3. While doing 1 and 2, go to college. A respectable degree and reputable college will help, but if you're a good dude, that is all a side show to me...
4. While doing 1-4, get your private pilot license.
5. Your junior year of college, apply to guard/reserve units EVERYWHERE. Go with the first one that hires you, unless you're gay and REALLY want to fly fighters.
6. When you get hired, go to UPT and graduate, you will get all your ratings through multi-engine commercial for literally $200 (FAA equivalency test).
7. After you're at the guard, go get your ATP and apply to regionals as soon as you can. Get both .mil and .civ flying time under your belt. Fly your ass off...
8. Laugh at all the idiots who are 100,000+ in debt when the guard paid for all of your college, got you 95% of your ratings, and paid you five times what they will be making as a flight instructor, trying to get another 500hrs+ just so they can get hired and any regional that will take them.

I did all of the above.... well, most. But it's the best possible way to get into professional aviation, serve our country and earn yourself a retirement. If you can pull off all of the above, you're golden.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I will echo the other sentiments. I didn't go to Perdue, but I did go to Purdue for aviation. Wish I had gotten a management degree either instead of or along with my aviation degree. Around the beginning of my senior year, I realized something. I loved flying, and still do. But, the airlines blow. I had been working on my CFI and said screw it. I have been out of school since 2009, and am finally doing what I wanted to do. I consider myself very lucky at this point. I would be much further ahead at this point if I had a different degree, and flew on the side. The good news was Purdue was in state, so for an aviation degree, I got off cheap.

And if you do go into school for an aviation degree, don't be like the pilots described above. They do exist, and it will make you dislike flying.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#13]
as a rule 141 trained pilots are the worst
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:40:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

definitely
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

1. When you turn 18, enlist in the Air National Guard (or reserve). Pick a field where you interact with pilots on a regular basis (enlisted aircrew, maintenance, etc).
2. Don't be a douchebag, buy the pilots a beer while on a trip, WORK HARD, let them know you want to fly.
3. While doing 1 and 2, go to college. A respectable degree and reputable college will help, but if you're a good dude, that is all a side show to me...
5. Your junior year of college, apply to guard/reserve units EVERYWHERE. Go with the first one that hires you, unless you're gay and REALLY want to fly fighters.
6. When you get hired, go to UPT and graduate, you will get all your ratings through multi-engine commercial for literally $200 (FAA equivalency test).
7. After you're at the guard, go get your ATP and apply to regionals as soon as you can. Get both .mil and .civ flying time under your belt. Fly your ass off...
8. Laugh at all the idiots who are 100,000+ in debt when the guard paid for all of your college, got you 95% of your ratings, and paid you five times what they will be making as a flight instructor, trying to get another 500hrs+ just so they can get hired and any regional that will take them.

I did all of the above.... well, most. But it's the best possible way to get into professional aviation, serve our country and earn yourself a retirement. If you can pull off all of the above, you're golden.
View Quote

This is really good advice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Unless your parents are writing a check for $200K (and they can easily afford this) don't do this.

I've got an Aviation Degree as well and highly recommend against it.  

Find a good instructor at a part 61 school and fly there while getting a degree in something useful.  You really need a fallback plan incase flying doesn't happen for you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I had done this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How so?

I am not defending any way over another. I am a mutt. I have been trained 61, 141 and military.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

definitely

How so?

I am not defending any way over another. I am a mutt. I have been trained 61, 141 and military.

Too much book smarts and not enough street smarts.  More knowledge in theory than experience.  

I flew with a guy one time that had come from one of those 141 schools and he had never flown in actual imc and he was about to apply to a regional.  

61 guys usually have flown all sorts of planes in different situations before moving up.  141 people usually are kept in a really controlled environment all the way through.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2 for sure.  Definitely the way to go!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you want to know how you can tell if someone went Embry Riddle? I really doesn't matter, he will tell you! From my experience most Riddle Diddles are a bunch of little arrogant pricks! I dealt with the FL folks. Numerous times I would be preflighting my King Air for a trip and they would taxi onto the ramp, park their C-172 and strut to the FBO wearing a leather bomber jacket and Raybans.

Years ago when I was just starting in aviation I was offered a job at the SAV Flight Safety to watch the place during the night and answer phones. About 9pm the phone rings and dude on the other line says "Hi my name is John, and I go to Embry Riddle......"  I say OK! . He then goes on about how he knows some rich people who just bought a GV.  He wants to know how much a few hours in the sim are so he can go fly these people around the world in their new G. I then explained to him you cant just get a check out, that you need a type rating for a jet. He sounded pretty incredulous when I told him what it would cost. I guess dude thought he would be able to do a few bounces and some airwork and call it good!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a degree from ERAU and I'm an in Intel guy. Go with what you like or in other words, +1 to what has been posted.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It's been really helpful. I'm now looking at an aeronautical engineering degree and flying on the side. Thank you once again
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How so?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

definitely

How so?

I've done all three as well and disagree with that statement. One could come up with reasons until they are blue in the face why each is better/worse. Either way, the key is getting a quality instructor at a school with a solid reputation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Too much book smarts and not enough street smarts.  More knowledge in theory than experience.  

I flew with a guy one time that had come from one of those 141 schools and he had never flown in actual imc and he was about to apply to a regional.  

61 guys usually have flown all sorts of planes in different situations before moving up.  141 people usually are kept in a really controlled environment all the way through.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

definitely

How so?

I've done 61, 141, and military as well, and I disagree with this.  It doesn't matter where the training is from, a good part 61 CFI with a good plan is just as good as a good 141 program, and a shitty 141 program is just as bad as a CFI without a plan.  Military is like part 141 on steroids.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Unless your parents are writing a check for $200K (and they can easily afford this) don't do this.

I've got an Aviation Degree as well and highly recommend against it.  

Find a good instructor at a part 61 school and fly there while getting a degree in something useful.  You really need a fallback plan incase flying doesn't happen for you.
View Quote

ERAU distance learning when combined with an A&P or Comm Pilots license is 2.25 years and 26k.

Its the exact same diploma.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I which I saw this when I was 17
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A soft degree like that will not help you get a good flying job any more than another unrelated degree.  Get the education you want though, not the one you think you need.  

I would join the mitary if I wanted to be a professional pilot.   For every guy who ate ramen for a decade to be a pilot there's 10 military guys who were landing jets on boats, flying helicopters in the trees blowing stuff up, or flying a $1b jet around the world.  Often with just a few hundred hours.  And they get paid very well.  At erau you'll get a few hundred hours in a shitty airplane and probably only be able to get jobs that dont even cover your student loans.
View Quote

Every military guy I have know who flew fighters or helicopters couldn't get an airline job. The  airlines want guys that have time in heavy transport.  Cargo, tankers, Bomber etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Every military guy I have know who flew fighters or helicopters couldn't get an airline job. The  airlines want guys that have time in heavy transport.  Cargo, tankers, Bomber etc.
View Quote

You must know all the dirtbags then.  Are you a military pilot?  I know so many army helicopter pilots and fighter pilots who have gone to airlines I couldn't count them all.  The last guy I did paperwork with at a fsdo started flying in the army because you didn't have to have a degree, did his 6 years got free college and then flew airlines for 20+ years before working for the faa.  A friend of mine was an army helicopter pilot and got hired direct to captain at an airline.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#30]
In my 25 years of Airline flying, both regional, and at a major, I've flown with way more former fighter or helo guys, than former heavy drivers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is more bad gouge.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In my 25 years of Airline flying, both regional, and at a major, I've flown with way more former fighter or helo guys, than former heavy drivers.
View Quote

That's good to hear. I'm waiting on pins and needles to see if my WOFT application gets approved next month.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:57:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My dad and at least two dozen of his friends are all fighter pilots, and are ALL airline pilots. Current and retired.

I personally only know one heavy pilot to airline pilot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad and at least two dozen of his friends are all fighter pilots, and are ALL airline pilots. Current and retired.

I personally only know one heavy pilot to airline pilot.

Nutnfancy?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Just my take.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#36]
As the others have said, get a degree that is applicable outside of flying.   The Airlines don't really care what your degree is in, or where you went to school.

If I was in your shoes, I would get my tickets as fast as humanly possible, and begin working as a CFI in AZ or FL.  

If you're parents have ERAU money, then they have enough money to send you to an Ab-Initio flight school.   Most pro pilots look down on the ab-initio flight schools, but from the standpoint of 25 years in the industry, there has been one lesson I've learned again and again:   Time is of the essence.   Time.  Don't waste it.

You could be hired by a regional within 2 years.   Then, get a degree from some online university.

Fwiw, I have a an ERAU degree.  Got it from attending classes at an Airbase, and transferring credits from another college.    It looks identical to the one from the university.   Guess how many interviews it got me?    Realistically, None.  

You get interviews based on networking, affirmative actions qualifications, and experience, pretty much in that order.

There actually will be "pilot shortage" but not for long.    Seniority at the airlines is everything.   Better to be senior at a 3rd tier airline than junior at a tier 1 airline.  

Listen to what these aviation pro's are telling you.  Don't be swayed by the flashy brochure.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is true. Nobody ever tells you about this when you're just starting out, but you meet plenty of guys at work that have gone this route.  It's almost like a closely guarded secret.  

Another thing that MarineGrunt had the grace not to mention, is that Military time is Gold for getting hired at the Majors.   If you are just another Civi regional pilot with 4 thousand hours of PIC jet time, it doesn't mean a whole lot to the HR people at UAL/DAL/AAL/SWA.  If you are a Military pilot, it's hard Not to get hired.    Obviously, this is changing, for the simple fact that they can't get enough Military pilots.   However, the Military Mafia still hold great power, and will, for a long time in the future.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:17:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.  No.   100%  Flat wrong.

Well helicopter time by itself isn't going to get you hired, but fighter time is considered the pinnacle of achievement.   They aren't hiring the experience, they are hiring the man.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's good to hear. I'm waiting on pins and needles to see if my WOFT application gets approved next month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The helo time does very little for you.  If you want into the airlines, get into fixed wing equipment as soon as possible.   Two of my best friends went that route.  They got hired at a regional, but still had problems getting hired by the majors.  Both are at Netjets today.  It's a pretty good life.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I did the masters program at ERAU and I'd recommend going elsewhere for graduate studies.  Based on what I saw, I'd recommend against undergraduate too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I did the masters program at ERAU and I'd recommend going elsewhere for graduate studies.  Based on what I saw, I'd recommend against undergraduate too.
View Quote

I took one class in the ERAU Aviation Safety Masters Program.  It was a joke.  Pay your fee and get your B kinda program.  

What is even a bigger joke is that one of my classmates in that program continued through the distance learning program and recycled the same final paper through 8 courses because the "instructors" never spoke to one another.  He got his ERAU degree and now TEACHES the ERAU undergrads aviation safety.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 2:54:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He got his ERAU degree and now TEACHES the ERAU undergrads aviation safety.
View Quote

This is the worst element of 141 training. The trainer that teaches the trainers that teaches the students who become the trainers means that bad knowledge becomes institutionalized. Few 141 like to hire instructors from outside the organization.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Man I don't know how I managed to sneak into the right seat of a 777 being a Riddle grad and all...

(fwiw, a lot of the advice here is pretty good.... Riddle worked for me, but there are other and possibly better ways to go about it)

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#44]

You forgot the drop test. Drop the blue sheet from 20ft and if it doesn't land in the one square foot directly below it, it's too windy.

I went to Riddle for engineering and thought it was great, but no way I'd spend the big bucks for flight training. Actually, tuition has increased so much, even for engineering I'd probably find a state school now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow,
Interesting topic with a wide variety of responses.

Dude, in all honesty, it's easy to sit in the cheap seats and throw stones at ERAU.  Everyone thinks that their path is the best.  Sure, enlisting in the Guard may get you a pilot slot, but will you be happy when you get BRAC'd from F-15s to MQ-1s?  

My advice (being an 2x degree ERAU guy now flying F-15s and with plenty of fighter friends in the airlines) would be to follow your dream.  I tried the 'get a degree in a fallback' path and ended up switching to Aero Sci.  You know why?  Because why waste 4+ years of your life studying and preparing for something you don't want to do?  Especially because what if you can't afford all the extra time requirements of 61 vs 141 and end up not getting all your ratings.  Then you potentially end up stuck in a life of something that you don't really want to do all because you chose to have a 'fallback.'  If I could say one thing to you that would go against some of the advice on here, it is do NOT enlist first to try and fly in the military.  Too many dudes do that, then run out of time to get a degree, and then end up never flying.  You have the opportunity now to take the first step on the path to living your dream.  Take that step!  No one else lives your life, and no one on this forum knows what is good for you.  Have a good introspective session and determine where you want your life to go.  Then chase it.  The only right answer is the answer that is right for you.  

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about ERAU or AF flying... and again, follow YOUR dream whatever it may be.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wow,

Dude, in all honesty, it's easy to sit in the cheap seats and throw stones at ERAU.  Everyone thinks that their path is the best.  Sure, enlisting in the Guard may get you a pilot slot, but will you be happy when you get BRAC'd from F-15s to MQ-1s?  

My advice (being an 2x degree ERAU guy now flying F-15s and with plenty of fighter friends in the airlines) would be to follow your dream.  I tried the 'get a degree in a fallback' path and ended up switching to Aero Sci.  You know why?  Because why waste 4+ years of your life studying and preparing for something you don't want to do?  Especially because what if you can't afford all the extra time requirements of 61 vs 141 and end up not getting all your ratings.  Then you potentially end up stuck in a life of something that you don't really want to do all because you chose to have a 'fallback.'  If I could say one thing to you that would go against some of the advice on here, it is do NOT enlist first to try and fly in the military.  Too many dudes do that, then run out of time to get a degree, and then end up never flying.  You have the opportunity now to take the first step on the path to living your dream.  Take that step!  No one else lives your life, and no one on this forum knows what is good for you.  Have a good introspective session and determine where you want your life to go.  Then chase it.  The only right answer is the answer that is right for you.  

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about ERAU or AF flying... and again, follow YOUR dream whatever it may be.
View Quote

And if a car accident takes your leg and you get medicaled out never to fly again ?  How do you propose he feed his family?

Dreams are great but reality is a hard nosed bitch. Not having a backup plan that's medically specific is foolish.  

Period.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And if a car accident takes your leg and you get medicaled out never to fly again ?  How do you propose he feed his family?

Dreams are great but reality is a hard nosed bitch. Not having a backup plan that's medically specific is foolish.  

Period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow,

Period.

I see what both of you are saying and thank everyone for all of the responses. I'm thinking more along the lines of a degree in aerospace engineering and getting my ratings via part 61 schools. I think that having a fallback is always a good idea, especially in a business such as commerical aviation, however I definitely have the feeling that I would be spending a lot of time, money, and energy on something that my heart isn't completely in. Thank you all for the responses, I would love to hear more!
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I see what both of you are saying and thank everyone for all of the responses. I'm thinking more along the lines of a degree in aerospace engineering and getting my ratings via part 61 schools. I think that having a fallback is always a good idea, especially in a business such as commerical aviation, however I definitely have the feeling that I would be spending a lot of time, money, and energy on something that my heart isn't completely in. Thank you all for the responses, I would love to hear more!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow,

Period.

not a bad idea there.  I went there, and a great coworker did the same.  We both work for power generation on gas turbines now, aviation was a little to unstable, pay is better too.  
Still glad I got my pilots tickets, but not through Riddle.  (went 141 and 61)

also, its a LOT more expensive now then when I went, so be careful what you spend.  Its some big bucks now, not sure if the value is there or not anymore.  I enjoyed my classes, and if you put minimal effort, can really take away some good information.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow,

Period.

Aside from the close mindedness and limited scope of esa17's statement, if that's what you want with your life then go for it.  Just make sure you know what differences a part 141 vs part 61 will buy you.  For instance when I got my instrument, not having the requirement of 50 hours of cross country time made the cost difference per hour more than worth it.  Do a little research, especially because there are a lot of great 141 schools in the central Florida area where you may be able to save some money.  

Since you are going to ERAU, please tell me you either have really rich parents or great scholarships!  You're going to need them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Aside from the close mindedness and limited scope of esa17's statement, if that's what you want with your life then go for it.  Just make sure you know what differences a part 141 vs part 61 will buy you.  For instance when I got my instrument, not having the requirement of 50 hours of cross country time made the cost difference per hour more than worth it.  Do a little research, especially because there are a lot of great 141 schools in the central Florida area where you may be able to save some money.  

Since you are going to ERAU, please tell me you either have really rich parents or great scholarships!  You're going to need them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow,

Period.

There is nothing close minded, or limited about what he said.  If you want to fly for a living, you are always one flight physical away from never being able to act as a pilot again.  I've he held a first class medical continuously, since I was 17.  I'm now 47.  Just this last year, I was medically grounded for a month.  I got it resolved, no problems, (with great help from AMAS, and my airlines medical department) but in my career, I've seen many, many good guys medical out way before they should have.  I have some good loss of license insurance through the union, but it's never enough, and it gets spendy the older you get.

This is my humble opinion, but I think I'm as qualified as any here to give advise.  You are stupid, if you are involved in professional aviation and have no backup plan.  You can have a medical problem, get injured (do you ride motorcycles, use a ladder, chainsaw, skydive, fly GA?)  My airline has had pilots injured to the point of never being able to fly again by all those things. You can get furloughed, for a decade or more.  The FAA has come a very long way, with what kinds of medical stuff you can continue flying with, but there are many, many deal breakers.  Plan accordingly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top