[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
How's your back?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Think I'll stick to Powerpoint & email.  My world doesn't end w/ the power goes out.  Stay up there!
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I'll find out in May if I get to.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, my flight physical said no Kiowas, I'm too tall . Not that it matters anymore
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
IERW starts in 2 weeks. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Hoping to have my package in for the next board. Leaving my job to finish it in time, starting tomorrow. Going to get my instrument and sport CFI immediately after my package is complete.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Where are the HUEY video's????

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just finish SERE?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just finish SERE?

BOLC. I was a SERE Dunker bypass.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  I though only that Air Force had real hueys still.
View Quote

And the Marines, and the State Department...
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh nice. Well, have fun in Aeromed. Flight line will be a blast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just finish SERE?

BOLC. I was a SERE Dunker bypass.

Oh nice. Well, have fun in Aeromed. Flight line will be a blast.

I'm totally stoked about being up early for flight line with a newborn. But yea, I cannot wait for my first flight.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dude in my Chinook class had newborn twins. He was bleary eyed quite a bit
View Quote

God bless him. Twins......

We're thankful his birth worked out in a bubble so we could enjoy paternity leave. It's been an eye opening and truly awesome experience. I'm kinda sad I'm not going to be able to spend more time with him once I start flight line.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Gah, would loved to have done that.  Ended up staying the civil flying route, got married, had kids and got too old.  A few years back one of our new-hire rotor pilots (I was EMS at the time) was the unit commander (???) for a UH60 NG outfit and said they needed folks and he could probably get me a shot.    I started researching it pretty heavily and was seriously considering it as, at the time, I was still of age... wife vetoed it big time.  Fun killer.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm 30 and hate my job. Any reason I shouldn't look into this?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do it. I have 4 street to seat guys in my class and they all say it was the best decision they've ever made. Lots of good info at link.

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/forum/32-general-military-helicopter-discussions/
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#24]
What would you say about going the officer route?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

RLO aviation branch? Great if you want to lead and having flying as an additional duty. CWOs fly more. Its the way it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would you say about going the officer route?

RLO aviation branch? Great if you want to lead and having flying as an additional duty. CWOs fly more. Its the way it is.

Cool cool, thanks man
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of people hate their job.  What are your goals?

Defying gravity is cool but that's not "the job".  It's just something you have to be able to do very well to be capable of doing "the job".

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Defying gravity is cool but that's not "the job".  It's just something you have to be able to do very well to be capable of doing "the job".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only goal I really have at the moment is to find a job that will allow me to provide for my family and actually feel useful in life. I'm working a deadend job in the automotive business and I'm tired of being paid on commission. I've always loved aviation and at one time I was very close to entering the military. It's always been something I've regretted to a degree, but I never would have met my wife otherwise. As I'm scrambling to find a decent job to get out of where I'm at, the WOFT idea keeps coming back.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a question. How hard is the math aspect of this training? I won't lie, when they start adding letters in with numbers, I go full derp. My job calls for detailed math but it's all formulas and hard to mess up when you get it figured out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#31]
But I want to fly 58's :(

I'm prior service, would I have to do basic?  Or just WOCS and then FT?
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Should just be WOCS and then into the B co meat grinder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But I want to fly 58's :(

I'm prior service, would I have to do basic?  Or just WOCS and then FT?

Should just be WOCS and then into the B co meat grinder.

Intredasting
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Start to finish, how long will it take to get from school to the first duty station?
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Tempting.  What does it take to get into the 160th?
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a question. How hard is the math aspect of this training? I won't lie, when they start adding letters in with numbers, I go full derp. My job calls for detailed math but it's all formulas and hard to mess up when you get it figured out.
View Quote

CFII is right.  There is no complex mental math required.

You need to be able to do simple addition and subtraction in your head quickly. (For example: 100-78=22 and 78+15=93)

You need to be able to divide numbers by 2 or 3 and multiply numbers by 2 or 3 in your head. (ie: 2/3 of 15=10 and 5x3=15)

You need to be able to tell time by analog clock and do simple time math. (ie: It's 17:15 and in 1:47 minutes it'll be 19:02)

That's about it.  For anything else you'll have time for a calculator and you'll have the E-6B.

I wish I could say that I don't run into iPhone generation students that struggle with such simple, real world, life skills but I do.  And it technology makes it worse every year.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Cockpit technology is awesome.  The more tools to help you do the job the better.

Not being able to accomplish simple, real world, life functions without accessing your smart phone is not awesome.

Yes.  Recently, there was a student who made it all the way to BWS before somebody finally identified the fact that he could not read an analog clock.  At all.
That one blew my mind.

And when we're trying to knock out a hover power check and the answer to my question of "Our indicated hover torque is 78.  The Max Torque available is 100.  What's the spread?" is...  "Oh man I suck at math..."

My response will be "Tough shit.  That's the job.  You've got 5 seconds to figure it out."

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Cant read an analog clock? WTF

View Quote

No shit, right?

That student went through Instruments with a different flight so I didn't hear about it until later.

After that, I started making sure my students didn't have that issue. (That's not something I could have ever imagined I would have to do).  And since then I did have a young 2LT who, admittedly, struggled with it at first.  We rectified that immediately and he ended up doing well enough.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The only goal I really have at the moment is to find a job that will allow me to provide for my family and actually feel useful in life. I'm working a deadend job in the automotive business and I'm tired of being paid on commission. I've always loved aviation and at one time I was very close to entering the military. It's always been something I've regretted to a degree, but I never would have met my wife otherwise. As I'm scrambling to find a decent job to get out of where I'm at, the WOFT idea keeps coming back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing you wrote would preclude you from doing it.  If you're truly interested, you need to shit or get off the pot, though, because you're already 30 and the clock's ticking.  Expect a minimum of 8-12 months from paperwork start to actually being in the Army if selected.  

I'm sure someone will be along to say that it only took them 6 months.. blah blah blah...  but that would be atypical.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Talk to me about pay.  I highly doubt I'll be making what I make now as a civilian rotor pilot, but what does a WO1 on flight status pay a year?
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You need to be able to do simple addition and subtraction in your head quickly. (For example: 100-78=22 and 78+15=93)

You need to be able to divide numbers by 2 or 3 and multiply numbers by 2 or 3 in your head. (ie: 2/3 of 15=10 and 5x3=15)

You need to be able to tell time by analog clock and do simple time math. (ie: It's 17:15 and in 1:47 minutes it'll be 19:02)

That's about it.  For anything else you'll have time for a calculator and you'll have the E-6B.

I wish I could say that I don't run into iPhone generation students that struggle with such simple, real world, life skills but I do.  And it technology makes it worse every year.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's bad is my generation (28 years old) was all taught on scientific calculators. Simple math has not been used without a calculator in many many year. I can do it just not as fast as I used to be able to.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

WO1 pay kinda sucks. When you hit 3 years time in service and CW2, it gets much better.

There are online pay charts. Just google "military pay calculator  2014"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Talk to me about pay.  I highly doubt I'll be making what I make now as a civilian rotor pilot, but what does a WO1 on flight status pay a year?

WO1 pay kinda sucks. When you hit 3 years time in service and CW2, it gets much better.

There are online pay charts. Just google "military pay calculator  2014"

Forgot about pay charts.  

WO pay is bad.  I make W5 with 24+ years of service currently....
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Ain't no recruiters in here, google it.  
If you need help with something that basic how will you figure out anything when lives are on the line?
Plus if your first question is about pay your motivation is all sorts of wrong.  

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you need help with something that basic how will you figure out anything when lives are on the line?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the lecture clown.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Even with BAH? Our housing allotment is tax free.
View Quote

I don't think BAH is going to cover that large of a gap.  But no, I didn't figure it in.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top