Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A twin engine fork-talked doctor killer? Awesome. Thats like double the danger at three times the cost

So with me being a relative noob in the aviation world... care to explain why the V-tailed doctor killer got that name?

Worst thread jack ever, I know
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A low drag airframe coupled with 2 big tail control surfaces that was/is a popular model purchased by medical professionals. Very easy to exceed vne. There was a redesign that solved the "problem" of tail seperation but evidently a lot of people like to still refer to them as such.

Quoted:
Quoted:
A twin engine fork-talked doctor killer? Awesome. Thats like double the danger at three times the cost

So with me being a relative noob in the aviation world... care to explain why the V-tailed doctor killer got that name?

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A low drag airframe coupled with 2 big tail control surfaces that was/is a popular model purchased by medical professionals. Very easy to exceed vne. There was a redesign that solved the "problem" of tail seperation but evidently a lot of people like to still refer to them as such.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, thanks. This thread may resume its original course now
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought the sister "Baron" was the Doctor killer.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nope, it was the Bonanza.  In reality most likely the mighty C-210!
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, it was the Bonanza.  In reality most likely the mighty C-210!

My dentist has '65 V35 with "Doctor Killer" painted in script  on the cowl.  Feels odd to fly with the "synchronized" yoke/rudders.  You can feel those bungie cords fighting you, especially when landing in a crosswind.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 1:13:16 AM EDT
[#10]

I flew one of those a little bit.  It was a sweet flying machine, but a bit loud.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My dentist has '65 V35 with "Doctor Killer" painted in script  on the cowl.  

Suppose someday that'll give an NTSB investigator a chuckle in the sense of irony when he's processing that crash scene.

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 4:32:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doctors with more money than time to fly buy them, then drive them into the ground (and/or inflight breakup) due to the combination of a high performance airplane flown by someone that doesn't have the time to stay proficient in said high performance airplane.

These days it sounds like Cirrus is competing for the doctor killer title.  For such a safe airplane, there's a terrible percentage of owners turning them into lawn darts.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doctors with more money than time to fly buy them, then drive them into the ground (and/or inflight breakup) due to the combination of a high performance airplane flown by someone that doesn't have the time to stay proficient in said high performance airplane.

These days it sounds like Cirrus is competing for the doctor killer title.  For such a safe airplane, there's a terrible percentage of owners turning them into lawn darts.

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

with parachutes....

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A twin engine fork-tailed doctor killer? Awesome. Thats like double the danger at three times the cost

HAHAHA I fucking lol'd hard. Close the thread. You win.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

with parachutes....

Ironic to me. However, CFIT happens. There is a pretty crappy video of a Cirrus involved in a midair that then parachuted down....on fire.

I was doing good, till the "on fire" part. Then, I laughed at the irony.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top