Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2011 7:56:57 PM EDT
Well, the Boeing board approved the newest 737 family, the "737 MAX" (aka "737 New Engine" or "737NE").  Why the mixed message concerning a name for the newest version of the plane? That is a head scratcher.  It strikes me as a bit bipolar, and symbolic of the corporate dithering that has plagued Boeing concerning their next single-aisle airliner.   No word if the (troubled) Max the Bionic Dog is the namesake of the latest 737.

Breaking: Boeing launches 737-7, -8 and -9 New Engine Family

by Jon Ostrower

Flight International

August 30, 2011
It's official, Boeing has launched
the 737-7, -8 and -9
under the banner of the 737 New Engine Family, with a
planned 2017 entry into service. Along with the board approval, which came
yesterday, Boeing has announced 496 commitments from five customers. Only
American Airlines has announced its intention
to purchase 100
of the CFM LEAP-1B-powered jets.
** Rest of the story linked at title **
Boeing Company rendering (Note the 787-inspired APU tail cone, engine chevrons, and possibly a taller vertical stab?) :

See also:
Boeing rendering illustrates major changes to 737NE

by Jon Ostrower

Flight International

August 30, 2011
And:

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
787 development apparently ate the 737 replacement.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#2]
If the engines get any bigger (in diameter), they're going to have to lengthen the gear...the inlets are already "squashed" on the bottom for ground (FOD) clearance.

Wonder if they're planning on union or non-union work force?
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
787 development apparently ate the 737 replacement.

Probably a lot of truth to that.  This is clearly the low risk option.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]
With how much of the workload being borne by the 737 this makes sense.

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I am sure Boeing is getting a lot of pressure from the major 737 operators to start supporting the fleet better or Airbus or Bombardier will be getting some business. The next gen fleet is still somewhat supoorted but Boeing does seem way to to concerned on the new fleet and not providing much interest or support for the current products.

I also know some of he newest 737's that are being delivered have an updated -7 motor.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Didnt they already have something called the 757?

Like the aircraft it replaced, the 727, the 757 couldn't be adequately replaced at an economic consideration level.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]
CFM still = Cheap Fucking Motors.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a fan of the name at all, or of just slapping on new engines.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Great  
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great  

I figured you of anyone would think this is the cat's pajamas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Sky Talk

"But Albaugh said that design changes will be minimal to the airplane, confined largely to those associated directly with the new engine. There are minor aerodynamic improvements and there will be some additional fly-by-wire features. There will not be a new cockpit, he said, because customers want commonality with the 737NG cockpit."

New engines and an LED tailight with a cockpit from the 60's.

And I have no illusions about who the customer is that "wants commonality with the 737NG cockpit."

Link Posted: 9/4/2011 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sky Talk

And I have no illusions about who the customer is that "wants commonality with the 737NG cockpit."

What problems do you have with the NG cockpit?
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sky Talk

"But Albaugh said that design changes will be minimal to the airplane, confined largely to those associated directly with the new engine. There are minor aerodynamic improvements and there will be some additional fly-by-wire features. There will not be a new cockpit, he said, because customers want commonality with the 737NG cockpit."

I'd kill for led taillights on my jet.  The damn things always go out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sky Talk

Coincidentally, the major obstacle the 737 MAX/NE faces with respect to re-engining is its short landing gear, which (along with its dumbed-down cockpit) was insisted upon by Southwest when Boeing came out with the 737NG (-600, -700, -800, -900) in the late-90s. SWA wanted to maintain cockpit commonality with 737 Classic (-100 to -500)cockpits (see the overhead panels and the glass cockpit emulated steam gauges). Further, SWA insisted that the 737 remain low to the ground to ease ground handling, this was key for the airline as it keeps turnarounds tight. Hence, the 737NG is only slightly higher above the ground than its 737 Classic predecessors.

Now that Boeing has decided to refresh the 737, after dragging its feet on a narrow-body replacement for at least two years (in large part due to capital and engineering resources being consumed by the delayed 787 and 747-8), those aspects of the 737NG tailored for Southwest in the '90s that made the 737NG a best-seller are the ones (particularly the short landing gear) that are limiting the improvements that would enable it to better compete against the A320 NEO family.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sky Talk

Coincidentally, the major obstacle the 737 MAX/NE faces with respect to re-engining is its short landing gear, which (along with its dumbed-down cockpit) was insisted upon by Southwest when Boeing came out with the 737NG (-600, -700, -800, -900) in the late-90s. SWA wanted to maintain cockpit commonality with 737 Classic (-100 to -500)cockpits (see the overhead panels and the glass cockpit emulated steam gauges). Further, SWA insisted that the 737 remain low to the ground to ease ground handling, this was key for the airline as it keeps turnarounds tight. Hence, the 737NG is only slightly higher above the ground than its 737 Classic predecessors.

Now that Boeing has decided to refresh the 737, after dragging its feet on a narrow-body replacement for at least two years (in large part due to capital and engineering resources being consumed by the delayed 787 and 747-8), those aspects of the 737NG tailored for Southwest in the '90s that made the 737NG a best-seller are the ones (particularly the short landing gear) that are limiting the improvements that would enable it to better compete against the A320 NEO family.

Boeing did the same thing in the 1930s when it build aircraft for Boeing Speed Lines/United specs, and if anyone else found them useful, well great.

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sky Talk

Spot on analysis
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sky Talk

What I'm hearing is "it's Southwest's fault."  I couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#21]
While I don't disagree that Southwest had input on the NG design, I do think that Boeing settled on the NG gear length thinking that the NG series would be the last re-engining of the 737, and that a new airframe would replace it. A longer gear would have cost fuel during every single flight, by every single 737NG produced. That's a lot of godamned money for the airlines. They look at every tenth of a percentage point, nowadays.

SUPRISE: 787 cost you a lot more than you thought it would. Now you get to half-assed compete with Airbus again.

Link Posted: 9/6/2011 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Though looking at the pylons, it looks like they jammed the engine into the wing as far as it would go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sky Talk

Try to go outside more
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sky Talk

Try to go outside more

I will, thanks.  You tell John Dennison hello for me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#25]
She said, "10 to 12 percent better fuel efficiency per seat."  So with about 10 or so passengers, it's 100% more fuel efficient and beyond that, it produces more fuel than it uses?  I like that!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sky Talk

Try to go outside more

I will, thanks.  You tell John Dennison hello for me.

Will do.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, looks like the 737  MAX will get the 68-inch diameter fan after all, albeit with an extension to the nose gear.

by Jon Ostrower

Flight International - Flightblogger

November 2, 2011

Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Jim Albaugh has announced that the company will fit a 68in CFM Leap-1B engine on its 737 MAX family. In addition, the design will add fly-by-wire "one control surface" and the larger fan will prompt a 6-8in extension of the nose landing gear.

*Rest of story linked at title*

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#28]
How many times can you update one aircraft?
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As many times as your customer will continue to buy the upgraded product.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As many times as your customer will continue to buy the upgraded product.

Or as many times as the economic value of a clean-sheet-of-paper design is outweighed by build a little, test a little, learn a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top