Link Posted: 5/8/2011 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 9:41:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Screechjet1] [#8]
As a CFI, CFII, and MEI, please, pretty please with sugar on top, read ahead of every flight.  Your CFI should brief every flight, and debrief every flight. Be a good student and have the aircraft pre-flighted for your instructor. Thanks.  It shows you care.

.Mil students are great for this.  Chair flying (pretend flying in chairs in a quiet room) esp. for procedural hops, especially in crew served aircraft is invaluable.  The Snowbirds and Blue Angels chair-fly their routines.

The brief should cover the flight's events, with a discussion of the nuts and bolts of each evolution "At 5000 feet, you will slow to Va, do a set of clearing turn and then commence a clean stall with the aircraft at idle power. At first sign of developed stall, recover the aircraft with minimum altitude loss while maintaining or recovering to assigned heading."

The debrief should cover what was learned, things that went poorly/well, and a preview to what is going to happen next. This should give you a clue of what to read.

You should know the memory emergency procedures and limitations for your aircraft.  Cold, from memory. Period.  Its not difficult.

Check rides are won or lost, much of the time, in the first five minutes in the oral, the first five minutes in the taxi and the first five minutes in the airwork.

The first questions on the oral are usually either very basic general aviation or aircraft knowledge.  Answer clearly, confidently and without hesitation.

The first five minutes in the taxi will demonstrate your general confidence in the aircraft and aircraft control.

The first airwork manuver, on just about every FW check ride is a set of steep turns.  Do steep turns well and you've demonstrated to the examiner aircraft control and confidence.

A checkride's outcome should never be in doubt.  Don't be cocky, but be confident of your knowledge, skills, and abilities.  If you don't know, answer "I don't know."  You generally get one or two of those in an oral.  Don't abuse them, but don't lie. Sometimes, examiners will ask questions specifically outside of your required oral knowledge base just to test your CFI.

Your checkrides are a reflection on your CFI as much as you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Screechjet1:
As a CFI, CFII, and MEI, please, pretty please with sugar on top, read ahead of every flight.  Your CFI should brief every flight, and debrief every flight. Be a good student and have the aircraft pre-flighted for your instructor. Thanks.  It shows you care.

.Mil students are great for this.  Chair flying (pretend flying in chairs in a quiet room) esp. for procedural hops, especially in crew served aircraft is invaluable.  The Snowbirds and Blue Angels chair-fly their routines.

The brief should cover the flight's events, with a discussion of the nuts and bolts of each evolution "At 5000 feet, you will slow to Va, do a set of clearing turn and then commence a clean stall with the aircraft at idle power. At first sign of developed stall, recover the aircraft with minimum altitude loss while maintaining or recovering to assigned heading."

The debrief should cover what was learned, things that went poorly/well, and a preview to what is going to happen next. This should give you a clue of what to read.

You should know the memory emergency procedures and limitations for your aircraft.  Cold, from memory. Period.  Its not difficult.

Check rides are won or lost, much of the time, in the first five minutes in the oral, the first five minutes in the taxi and the first five minutes in the airwork.

The first questions on the oral are usually either very basic general aviation or aircraft knowledge.  Answer clearly, confidently and without hesitation.

The first five minutes in the taxi will demonstrate your general confidence in the aircraft and aircraft control.

The first airwork manuver, on just about every FW check ride is a set of steep turns.  Do steep turns well and you've demonstrated to the examiner aircraft control and confidence.

A checkride's outcome should never be in doubt.  Don't be cocky, but be confident of your knowledge, skills, and abilities. If you don't know, answer "I don't know."  You generally get one or two of those in an oral.  Don't abuse them, but don't lie. Sometimes, examiners will ask questions specifically outside of your required oral knowledge base just to test your CFI.

Truer words have never been spoken.  Trying to BS an examiner is asking for a pink slip, don't try it.  There are NO original mistakes in flight instruction.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#10]

A checkride's outcome should never be in doubt.  Don't be cocky, but be confident of your knowledge, skills, and abilities.  If you don't know, answer "I don't know."  You generally get one or two of those in an oral.  Don't abuse them, but don't lie. Sometimes, examiners will ask questions specifically outside of your required oral knowledge base just to test your CFI.

Not only that, but a student that studies and is well prepared will spend less money in getting his license.  Excellent post screech...

Link Posted: 6/2/2011 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]

As a CFI, CFII, and MEI, please, pretty please with sugar on top, read ahead of every flight.  Your CFI should brief every flight, and debrief every flight. Be a good student and have the aircraft pre-flighted for your instructor. Thanks.  It shows you care

Going to have to disagree on the bold portion. All too often the CFI is the one that doesn't give two shits, he is building time and getting paid. If the student didn't care he wouldn't be coughing over $130 an hour to be there.

Link Posted: 6/2/2011 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SuperSixOne:

Going to have to disagree on the bold portion. All too often the CFI is the one that doesn't give two shits, he is building time and getting paid. If the student didn't care he wouldn't be coughing over $130 an hour to be there.  

I was a time building instructor, and I never had a student fail a multi- or instrument checkride, which was the majority of my dual given.

I saw the "career" flight instructors teach patently wrong or out-of-date material, because "that's how its always been done."

Many students frankly don't give a shit, or have unrealistic expectations, or find out learning to fly is a really expensive hobby compared to golf. Many are love with the idea of being a pilot, and think its like driving, or the CFI can pry their head open and pour the knowledge in.

Interview your instructor. Get a feeling of his teaching style. I personally am against the idea of using only one instructor for any given stage of training, even if its just another instructor doing a mock checkride at the end.  Even if you're doing this as a hobby, its a hobby that's killed a bunch of people deader than Julius Caesar because they didn't take it seriously or approach it professionally. Part of the professional side is learning how to learn in the cockpit from a variety of teaching styles. Even the weakest people I've flown with taught me something.

Link Posted: 6/3/2011 1:22:57 AM EDT
[#13]
For those who need a Radio license for flying.
Step by Step Instructions to Obtaining Your FCC Radio Telephone License,
I copied and pasted off of a post in Jet careers.
cost is $60 and was a pain to fill out but only need to do it once.

Step 1 – Go to www.fcc.gov website and on the left hand side, in the yellow box area, click on the Forms link
Step 2 – Scroll down the page ¾ of the way and you will see
(Quick-Form Application for Authorization in the Ship, Aircraft, Amateur, Restricted and Commercial Operator, and General Mobile Radio Services) form 605. Click on Electronic Filing link.
Step 3 – On the next page you will click on the second link, being Online Filing
Step 4 – The following page ask for you FRN and pin. If you have one enter it here, if not click on the link Need and FRN? Register with the FCC.
Step 5 – Highlight the Register now circle and then click continue
Step 6 – You will be registering as an individual and check the appropriate response to the address with in the U.S. question.
Step 7 – Enter your appropriate information in the following page
Step 8 – The next page your FRN number will be displayed. Write this down or print for future reference. Click the back button four times or go to the FCC home page and using steps 1 through 3 to return to the page that ask for your FRN number. Enter your number here along with your password you submitted in the previous steps.
Step 9 – The following page will have an option to Apply for a new license. Click here.
Step 10 – This will take you to a page on which you must select the radio service for which you will be applying. Scroll down the list until you reach ( RR-Recruited Operator ) <edit to add: believe that is "Restricted", not "Recruited">. Continue
Step 11 – On the Applicant Questions page leave everything as is. It should say Regular on type and No you’re not exempt from application fees or license fees. Continue
Step 12 – Address located outside the U.S. check appropriate field. Continue.
Step 13 – Fill out your information for you license on this page. Continue
Step 14 – Click that you are eligible for employment in the U.S. Continue
Step 15 – Check that all your information is accurate and then continue.
Step 16 – Agree to all the above statements then Continue.
Step 17 – Give your electronic signature by filling in the boxes. Continue
Step 18 – Print your application and continue to Form 159
Step 19 – Fill in your FRN number and password and Continue
Step 20 – On form 159 you can either pay credit card or if you select to view form 159 you can mail in a payment. Select your choice and proceed.
Step 21 – The following page you will be able to print form 159 after your credit card has been approved.
This is the completion of you FCC Radio Telephone Operators Permit Application. You should receive you license in the mail with in 2 to 3 weeks
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the pleasure of demonstrating spin recovery on my Private checkride back in 98 even though they weren't required.  I did extremely well on the whole checkride and he asked if I knew how to do it.  Being that I had an excellent CFI,  I was proficient in the maneuver.  I really treasure the instruction that I got that was above and beyond FAA requirements.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#15]
For those wanting to be pilots don't let the company pay for you to come out for the second interview if you can't afford to take the job and it's associated paycut.

Dang I hate that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Toiyabe:

There is also a "light sport" certificate that has less stringent medical and training requirements, but restricts you to carrying a single passenger, flying during the day and from flying in controlled airspace. I recommend that people go ahead and get their private pilot certificate as it realistically only requires marginally more training.

One thing I've found is that it's pretty common for people who hold a PPL to speak condescendingly and disparagingly of the Sport Pilot License ("light sport" is the class of aircraft, Sport Pilot is the license).  A coworker goes off on that rant when Sport Pilot comes up in a conversation.  He goes on about how we're going to see inadequately trained quasi-pilots falling out of the sky and killing themselves.  He speaks out his ass.

An advantage of the Sport Pilot license is that the cost is roughly half of a PPL.  Considering about $8,000 for a PPL and $4,000 for the Sport Pilot rating, it's a good way to get a running start, and your time & experience can go toward eventually upgrading to a PPL.

A Sport Pilot is limited to an airplane of relatively modest performance, one passenger, and daylight VFR conditions. (There are more details on the bioundaries, but those are the main points).  If you don't need to go Warp 6, are content to carry one passenger (like me taking my wife or a friend up), and aren't interested in flying in crappy weather, there is nothing wrong with the Sport Pilot license.  It makes perfect sense for the person who has a desire to fly, but is limited by resources.

General aviation was in a serious decline due to the costs of getting a PPL.  The Sport Pilot license is reinvigorating GA, bringing in many new aircraft manufacturers in addition to new pilots.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't be afraid to fire your CFI.  The opinion you form about him or her in the first five minutes is valid.  It's your money, time, and instruction.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RC12XPilot:
Don't be afraid to fire your CFI.  The opinion you form about him or her in the first five minutes is valid.  It's your money, time, and instruction.  

...and don't be afraid to tell him YOUR expectations for each training flight. You should have some kind of goal or expectation for each and every training flight you undertake.

While the CFI is pilot-in-command during initial training (private pilot), YOU are the boss- YOU decide whether the lesson continues or not- no one else. I fired a CFI in the air once. I told him that the lesson was over and as of the time on the tach he was fired and would not be paid a red cent beyond that time. He thought that being a wannabe DI in the air was the way to do business and me firing him was his wake-up call.
Never accept a CFI that yells or is abusive in any way, whether on the ground or in the cockpit. A lot of the old-timers are that way and the CFI's they trained follow the same mold. It's unprofessional and you don't have to put up with it.

Link Posted: 3/6/2012 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I found the Gleim audio PPL review very helpful in prepping for my written exam. I scored 93%. I listened to these daily driving into work. While some of the review needs access to charts and tables a lot of it can be used audio only. For around $60 it's a lot of good information, presented in a style that fosters retention.

Gleim Private Pilot Audio Course
Link
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:24:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Brohawk:

There is also a "light sport" certificate that has less stringent medical and training requirements, but restricts you to carrying a single passenger, flying during the day and from flying in controlled airspace. I recommend that people go ahead and get their private pilot certificate as it realistically only requires marginally more training.

One thing I've found is that it's pretty common for people who hold a PPL to speak condescendingly and disparagingly of the Sport Pilot License ("light sport" is the class of aircraft, Sport Pilot is the license).  A coworker goes off on that rant when Sport Pilot comes up in a conversation.  He goes on about how we're going to see inadequately trained quasi-pilots falling out of the sky and killing themselves.  He speaks out his ass.

An advantage of the Sport Pilot license is that the cost is roughly half of a PPL.  Considering about $8,000 for a PPL and $4,000 for the Sport Pilot rating, it's a good way to get a running start, and your time & experience can go toward eventually upgrading to a PPL.

A Sport Pilot is limited to an airplane of relatively modest performance, one passenger, and daylight VFR conditions. (There are more details on the bioundaries, but those are the main points).  If you don't need to go Warp 6, are content to carry one passenger (like me taking my wife or a friend up), and aren't interested in flying in crappy weather, there is nothing wrong with the Sport Pilot license.  It makes perfect sense for the person who has a desire to fly, but is limited by resources.

General aviation was in a serious decline due to the costs of getting a PPL.  The Sport Pilot license is reinvigorating GA, bringing in many new aircraft manufacturers in addition to new pilots.

Just my 2 cents.

Does the Sport Pilot license also apply to helicopters? I just started my lessons and the goal has always been to build an experimental..
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Is there any real utility beyond the obvious* to this book?  I ask here instead of the book thread since it relates to pilot training.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Can-Afford-To-Pilot/dp/1456408151/ref=pd_sim_b_78

* from the reviews it seems that the author talks about the sport pilot license being cheaper .......... well of course ....... it is fewer hours.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#22]
No, just do a little bit of research... talk to a few instructors and decide what your goals are and go from there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#23]
It took me a while to figure this out but, in a check ride answer only the question asked... if the examiner will ask follow up questions if he/she wants more info.

they love when you dig your own hole... especially in that first regional airline check ride. "what does it mean when this light comes on... Well it could mean this or this or... Really tell me about that..." Boy I've dug a few of those holes in my day!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Make sure you understand the 'real' 4 forces of flight:

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
The aviation license is for the airplane if I'm not mistaken.

If you want to fly for an airline or fly OCONUS in an N-numbered aircraft you will need a FCC permit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By esa17:
For those wanting to be pilots don't let the company pay for you to come out for the second interview if you can't afford to take the job and it's associated paycut.

Dang I hate that.

Don't pay crappy wages?
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Rotorhead84:
Originally Posted By esa17:

Dang I hate that.

Don't pay crappy wages?

I'm not the employer.  My personal scruples won't allow me to fly on someone else's dime when I know I won't be taking the job.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Just my 2 cents.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Just my 2 cents.

I find this funny because in the circle of family and professionals I'm around, we do the same with PPL's. lol It's not all, but a large portion that fly out of uncontrolled fields seem to do whatever they want in the pattern and without using the radio. I can't stand going into those airports.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:45:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: esa17] [#30]
On guard...
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Any .mil used VA benefits to pay for flight training?

I'm finishing up my masters and have a few months left over, and wonder how it works.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By EthanCW2:

I'm finishing up my masters and have a few months left over, and wonder how it works.
View Quote

Reviving the thread because I'm interested to know too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ARAMP1:

View All Quotes

Yes I did 2010-2012 ish

Basic rules:
Post 9/11 pays for nearly all of your flight training, the catch is you have to go thru an "institute of higher learning" meaning a college. There is a good list on AOPA
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/learntofly/school/aviation_colleges/
This also pays you a housing allowance depending upon how you attend, online vs in class and half vs full time and books for flying go over the 1000 per year they pay you.

The Montgomery GI bill pays for a percent of your flight training, 80% I think. You are still looking at a good chunk of out of pocket expense.

Are you planning on just a private rating or more ratings than that?
There are a few other tricks and got ya's with using it for flight training, if you can be more specific as to what you plan on getting out of it and your goals I can give you a better idea. Also if you are going to run out and are planning on making money flying you can use voc rehab if you have a disability rating, this is case by case basis as well.

I will keep an eye on this thread and answer any questions, I may start a thread of GI bill flight training thread if there is enough demand for it.

Using the GI bill for school and flight training I have my AAS and BS from Portland CC and ERAU along with all my ratings. CFI/Jump pilot/fire spotter/135 Cargo and now 121 regional for work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mcg3686:

Yes I did 2010-2012 ish

Basic rules:
Post 9/11 pays for nearly all of your flight training, the catch is you have to go thru an "institute of higher learning" meaning a college. There is a good list on AOPA
This also pays you a housing allowance depending upon how you attend, online vs in class and half vs full time and books for flying go over the 1000 per year they pay you.

The Montgomery GI bill pays for a percent of your flight training, 80% I think. You are still looking at a good chunk of out of pocket expense.

There are a few other tricks and got ya's with using it for flight training, if you can be more specific as to what you plan on getting out of it and your goals I can give you a better idea. Also if you are going to run out and are planning on making money flying you can use voc rehab if you have a disability rating, this is case by case basis as well.

I will keep an eye on this thread and answer any questions, I may start a thread of GI bill flight training thread if there is enough demand for it.

Using the GI bill for school and flight training I have my AAS and BS from Portland CC and ERAU along with all my ratings. CFI/Jump pilot/fire spotter/135 Cargo and now 121 regional for work.
View All Quotes

Yes I did 2010-2012 ish

Basic rules:

Awesome info!  I didn't even think to thick the AOPA website. I was originally planning on going to med school after separating from active duty, so I never transferred my Post 9/11 GI Bill to my kids.  Now that I'm out and decided on going a totally different direction (at the dismay of my favorite organic chemistry professor), I figure I should probably use the GI Bill for something.  

I was thinking about getting a single or multi seaplane rating or helicopter private.  I've also thought about pursuing a type rating in an interesting airplane like a DC3 or Constilation.  The helo rating would probably be the most practical for me.  I started it a LONG time ago.  The problem was, helo instruction wasn't offered at my home airport, so I would rent a 172, fly about an hour to the closest place that had helo instruction, fly my hour lesson in an R22, then fly back home in the 172.   As you can imagine, this is one of the most expensive ways to get helicopter time and I never finished.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Awesome info!  I didn't even think to thick the AOPA website. I was originally planning on going to med school after separating from active duty, so I never transferred my Post 9/11 GI Bill to my kids.  Now that I'm out and decided on going a totally different direction (at the dismay of my favorite organic chemistry professor), I figure I should probably use the GI Bill for something.  

I was thinking about getting a single or multi seaplane rating or helicopter private.  I've also thought about pursuing a type rating in an interesting airplane like a DC3 or Constilation.  The helo rating would probably be the most practical for me.  I started it a LONG time ago.  The problem was, helo instruction wasn't offered at my home airport, so I would rent a 172, fly about an hour to the closest place that had helo instruction, fly my hour lesson in an R22, then fly back home in the 172.   As you can imagine, this is one of the most expensive ways to get helicopter time and I never finished.  
View All Quotes

Yes I did 2010-2012 ish

Basic rules:

Using your post 9/11 GI bill you are going to have a very hard time, if at all, finding a school that does seaplane ratings. You could get your single engine land and then add a seaplane rating paying out of pocket. Heli schools are out there as well, not sure if AOPA lists them or not but there are quite a few now that associate with a college. Finding a school on the AOPA website and then calling or searching on their website is the best way as things do change.  The GI bill will not pay for type ratings, even a 73 if you say you will apply at SWA.  Good luck
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Using your post 9/11 GI bill you are going to have a very hard time, if at all, finding a school that does seaplane ratings. You could get your single engine land and then add a seaplane rating paying out of pocket. Heli schools are out there as well, not sure if AOPA lists them or not but there are quite a few now that associate with a college. Finding a school on the AOPA website and then calling or searching on their website is the best way as things do change.  The GI bill will not pay for type ratings, even a 73 if you say you will apply at SWA.  Good luck
View All Quotes

Yes I did 2010-2012 ish

Basic rules:

I really thought you could use it for a type rating.  I looked it up on VA.gov and it said this:

VA offers flight training benefits to those who want to advance their pilot qualifications. You must have a private pilots license and valid medical certification before you start training. Payments are issued after the training is completed and the school submits your enrollment information to VA.

Flight training is available for the following and other types of qualifications:
Rotary wing
B747-400
Dual engine
Flight engineer

www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp

Not sure how this ties in with the GI Bill though.  I wouldn't mind doing a 747 or 787 type rating, but I'd rather do something a little more interesting like a DC3.  I doubt I could find a school that does them though.  I've looked into P51 checkouts, but it's not a type rating and I doubt the few schools that do it take the GI Bill.  For me personally, I have an ATP multi, commercial single, CFI, CFII, MEI, yada, yada, yada.  I'm just interested to use the GI Bill for something.  The most practical for me would a rotor wing certificate.  At least I could go to the local FBO and rent an R44 to take the kids up.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#37]
If I remember correctly, the old GI bill can pay for advanced ratings, to the tune of 60% this includes type ratings. The other catch to your quote is the school submits the bill, there are only a number of flight schools that are able to bill the VA as well. The best thing to make sure for this type of thing is to call the 800gibill number and ask, as well as an institute you find that does the training you want, asking if they can bill or are approved by the VA.
The 9/11 GI bill I think will only pay if it is thru a college program.

I never tried to go for the type or additional training outside of what the college programs have so I cant be too much help.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Where can I find reviews on flight schools?  There are two in my area at regional airports.  One is five minutes from my house, the other is 35.  Their estimated costs are way different.  The close one is advertising $9500, the other $5850.  The one farther away has a Red Bird flight simulator on site.  How much time can be counted from the simulator?

I also can't find on either of their websites if they are a Type 141 or 61 program.  Both list 40 hours minimum required.  

Groupon has an hour trial flight with the one farther way for $100.  My BIL did that and said they let him do as much as he was comfortable with except for landing.

http://www.bountifulflight.com

http://randonaviation.com/index.html
View Quote

Honestly, I'd call them both.

Just off of the top of my head, the cost differential could be due to the age of the aircraft they use, and if the instructors are contractors or employees.

There are advantages and disadvantages of both, and its very possible in aviation to not get what you pay for.

What's your ultimate goal...get a license to go bang around in on weekends, or are you thinking about doing this for a career?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I have been a pilot since 1993, and I can tell you that 55 hours is below the average. Most students take 60-70 hours to get the Private. Nowadays it is even more of a pain with insurance rates getting jacked up for no reason other than profit, and Instructors that are little more than glorified trucking school instructors. I suggest avoiding Part 141 altogether and sticking with part 91. You will learn much more, and from someone who truly loves to teach flying.

And Remember

"FLY THE AIRPLANE!"
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By BJ_Beard:
I have been a pilot since 1993, and I can tell you that 55 hours is below the average. Most students take 60-70 hours to get the Private. Nowadays it is even more of a pain with insurance rates getting jacked up for no reason other than profit, and Instructors that are little more than glorified trucking school instructors. I suggest avoiding Part 141 altogether and sticking with part 91. You will learn much more, and from someone who truly loves to teach flying.

And Remember

"FLY THE AIRPLANE!"
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BJ_Beard:

And Remember

"FLY THE AIRPLANE!"
View Quote

I did all my training part 61 and ended up being a 141 chief. All of my instructors were generous, dedicated, skilled and pretty far from the hacks you describe.

Some pretty poor advice in what I quoted.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:42:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#45]
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#46]
tag for interest.

I just want to tool around on weekends.

I thought the airlines would be flooded with disgruntled former military aviators by now? And C-19 wasn't helping matters either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top