Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 6:27:32 PM EDT
I'm going to attempt to rebuild the nose strut in my 150 this weekend.   Any tips?  I am not an A and P, but have done most of the maintenance on my planes for as long as I have had them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Super easy. Just make sure that after reassembly that you shim the torque link assembly good and tight to make sure that there is no issue with shimmy. It took me far longer to strip and paint the strut than it did to actually disassemble and replace the seals.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#2]
This may be remedial but make sure you release the air charge on the strut before you disconnect the scissor links.
Also the snap rings (have a rounded side and a sharp edge side) need to be installed with the correct side facing out or a hard landing can pop the gland out, I'v seen it happen with master cylinders alot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This may be remedial but make sure you release the air charge on the strut before you disconnect the scissor links.
Also the snap rings (have a rounded side and a sharp edge side) need to be installed with the correct side facing out or a hard landing can pop the gland out, I'v seen it happen with master cylinders alot.

Excellent advice.

Also, pick up a seal kit like Cessna SK172-1F or http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Products/?CategoryID=154&PartNumber=NSS-KT-1&
It will make the repair go faster and easier.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I'll let you know how it turns out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top