User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Screechjet1:
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/5/3/2/1320235.jpg

Me on IOE.

I think that Marty the Moose.  The pilots wanted to name it Wally the Moose after the movie.

"Sorry, folks, park's closed...Moose outside should have told you."

You out of DEN?
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Outside view:

The LaRue swag is put to good use.

Inside view:

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:
If he'd been any bigger, then I would have had fit-issues getting him in the Navion.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii210/LaRueTactical/Ellk_Hunt/HPIM0346.jpg

You have as much room in the tail of the Navion as Snoopy does in his doghouse to get the rest of that elk packed in there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]

I didnt get to actually fly any today, just ride along but it was pretty cool for a student pilot to get to do.

1250 miles round trip in 5.5 hours burning over $800 in fuel. Aviation is cool.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Is that the Ohio River under you there ?   ^ ^ ^ ^

How in the bloody blue flying fuck could you possibly know that?

Yeah, we were 12,000 right over top of Louisville KY.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

Me and the Navion has been around America's block a time or two.

Thats just one tiny little bend in a thousand miles long river, in the midwest which has a ton of rivers to guess from.  Hell it looks like the upper Illinois River which is pretty close to home for me.

Mark LaRue has surprised me a time or two over the years, but Im totally shocked you pulled that one out. Bravo!
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By BTooneUSMMA:

Fall of 2008: Initial solo at Vance AFB (JSUPT)

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/USMMA2007/DSC_0223.jpg

^ ^ ^ Souped-up Navion.

My dad wirks that program. Been on the assembly line!

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Me on IOE.

I think that Marty the Moose.  The pilots wanted to name it Wally the Moose after the movie.

How much longer are these around?  What are the plans for them/all the pilots?

Been getting some good sermons from Bedford?

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Surf:

Me on IOE.

You out of DEN?

I was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sniper7:

Me on IOE.

I had the Good Reverend at CHQ...I was long gone from Lynx before the acquistion, and I don't think there are more than 30 or 40 Lynx people, and very few from the initial pre-IOC or IOC pilot cadre left.  I think that Lynx will survive in a rump form for at least another year, until some EMBRAER engineering magicians can determine how a 170 can go from DEN-ASE or vice versa.  Where the airplanes went is somewhat of a mystery, and crews ended up all over the world.  When I was in Toronto, there was considerable recruiting occuring then for international jobs, and I spoke with the ANANet Chief TRI/Line Check Airman (there for recurrent) about a job. I know some went to Japan and Ethiopia, and number of us ended up out of aviation (like me.)

Lynx was a wonderful might-have-been. Had it worked out as it was intended, and not had a few really weak personnel in important positions, it could have been the premier regional in the US.  I know for some that's like saying, "the faster Special Olympian," but first at something, even if it sucks, is still first.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Me and the Navion has been around America's block a time or two.

Most of the Ohio is one log filled son of a bitch.  There are very few spots that are seaplane friendly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Columnbia 400 @FL200

Test drivin a mustang

Test Driving a Phenom, I leave for type class Saturday !!

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 2:57:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I need to learn how to fly before I die.

I'm missing out on a lot...
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By atxm3:
I need to learn how to fly before I die.

I'm missing out on a lot...

It's never too late! DO IT!
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Triva time..... Why is this photo here?

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Me with a student last year, crossing over PDX @ 1,500' in a R-22.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#20]
do you teach out of ttd or hio.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Salem, OR

east of Salem.

Link Posted: 8/11/2010 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Can't quote Surf, but is that the piano used in Top Gun?   Kansas city BBQ in San Diego (which has since burned down)?
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 4:21:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Surf] [#23]
Originally Posted By JustinOK34:
Can't quote Surf, but is that the piano used in Top Gun?   Kansas city BBQ in San Diego (which has since burned down)?

Winner!

From IMDB.

In preparation for his role, Tom Cruise was allowed to take 3 rides in the F-14 Tomcat. He vomited during the first trip but was okay during the other two.

Anthony Edwards is the only actor who didn't vomit while in the fighter jets.

Now back to the "you-flyin, somethin' picture thread"

Link Posted: 8/11/2010 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#24]

What are we looking at here?
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Winner!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/2008_06_topgun-thumb.jpg

From IMDB.

In preparation for his role, Tom Cruise was allowed to take 3 rides in the F-14 Tomcat. He vomited during the first trip but was okay during the other two.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/3580334794_59ce51ed1e.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/n759783587_1174550_9747.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/n1104602497_30273660_7908457.jpg

Nice BusEx pics, esp. the C model 1900. I didn't realized BusEx had -146s or were those Wisconsin -146s?
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool pic...

Originally Posted By itgoesboom:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1250/4099902816de0c85404ez.jpg

Link Posted: 8/11/2010 2:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcg3686] [#27]

hard to tell but the large tan spot is the Salem airport looking to the west.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mcg3686:

What in the heck are those black "poles" in the picture?  At first I was thinking a quick series of the prop, but they're all parallel..
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#29]

What in the heck are those black "poles" in the picture?  At first I was thinking a quick series of the prop, but they're all parallel..

Ive taken a few pics through a constant speed prop that came out like that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Ive taken a few pics through a constant speed prop that came out like that.

that is a constant pitch prop and that  is a slow camera on my i phone. just the way it looks with a slow shutter I guess.

Link Posted: 8/11/2010 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Winner!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/2008_06_topgun-thumb.jpg

From IMDB.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/3580334794_59ce51ed1e.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/n759783587_1174550_9747.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/n1104602497_30273660_7908457.jpg

Nice BusEx pics, esp. the C model 1900. I didn't realized BusEx had -146s or were those Wisconsin -146s?

They had 5 of the 146s at first, we were courted big time by BAe and the CRJ folks.   They were hoping to break back into the regional jet market after PSA did them.  Then they got four of the RJ-70 which had glass and autoland.  Still is my favorite aircraft.  With the trailing link gear and huge shock absorbed you just had to hit the runway to get 20+ comments of "that was the best landing...."

From Wiki:

'Fly BEX Jets!'

The jet age arrived at Business Express through acquisition of Pilgrim Airlines in 1986. Through this transaction, the growing airline acquired a single Fokker F-28 aircraft, however chose not to operate the airliner due to profitability concerns. In the mid-1990s, Business Express was the first Delta Connection regional airline to operate jet aircraft, predating deliveries of Canadair and Embraer jets to ASA, Comair, and Skywest. In 1994, the airline obtained five BAe146-200, 69-passenger regional jets from Discovery Airways, and placed an order for twenty new AVRO RJ-70s in the same year. Jet routes included international feeder service to Delta's Trans-Atlantic hub at JFK, with service to Cleveland and Detroit.

Boston jet service included service along the Eastern Seaboard to Baltimore, Norfolk, and Richmond. Although long coveted, Business Express was unable to operate the BAe-146 on the lucrative Boston-Washington National sector due to landing slot restrictions on four-jet aircraft. Perhaps this was the primary reason jet aircraft did not succeed as a significant revenue generator for the airline. In an effort to establish a larger identity, Business Express launched the 'Fly BEX Jets' program in 1994 on the BOS-BWI sector. The aggressive marketing scheme offered free round-trip flight vouchers for every round-trip flown on BAe-146 aircraft. The program was popular and heightened awareness, however failed to generate significant revenue.

In the traditional radial approach to route development, Business Express launched service to Milwaukee in 1994, competing directly with Midwest Express. The carrier operated two daily nonstop flights in the marketplace with 70 passenger Avro RJ-70 aircraft, though generated lower than anticipated passenger traffic and suspended the service in January 1995. Apart from its independent Northwest codeshare Minneapolis-Aspen/Snowmass service, Milwaukee was the furthest 'west' the fully-integrated BEX system grew. Its severely weather-affected market in the Northeast, Canada, and Upper Midwest made Southern routes both attractive and potentially lucrative. Nevertheless, Business Express was unable to penetrate Southern holiday travel markets due to systems overlap with other Delta Connection carriers. Likewise, the airline lacked true 'feed' into one of Delta's largest mainline hubs. Constricted by a fierce operating culture in the Northeast and lack of viable markets, Business Express was unable to identify a consistently profitable market for its jet aircraft. Ultimately, the airline did not take full delivery of the AVRO RJ-70. The BAe146-200s were replaced by five AVRO RJ70s that operated primarily in the JFK-DTW and JFK-CLE markets, as well as BOS-BWI, BOS-ORF, and BOS-RIC markets.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Where is the rest of the story?  

Like the ERJ's and flowing to AA getting an AA number.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll add a few older ones of mine

Link Posted: 8/16/2010 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By itgoesboom:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1250/4099902816de0c85404ez.jpg

Neat pic. I can see my old neighborhood.

Link Posted: 8/16/2010 4:56:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Screechjet1] [#35]

Good old VNY and the No-Tel Sky Tel Ho-tel.

I walked from the No-Tel Sky Tel to Raytheon once, in uniform, and needed a new shirt after I walked through the tunnel on the south side of the field.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 6:55:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savage1971] [#36]

Good old VNY and the No-Tel Sky Tel Ho-tel.

I walked from the No-Tel Sky Tel to Raytheon once, in uniform, and needed a new shirt after I walked through the tunnel on the south side of the field.

I basically grew up at VNY. My grandfather had his Cherokee 235 tied down there. Flew out of there countless times  before he moved to Washington back in the mid 90's.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Me on IOE.

I had the Good Reverend at CHQ...I was long gone from Lynx before the acquistion, and I don't think there are more than 30 or 40 Lynx people, and very few from the initial pre-IOC or IOC pilot cadre left.  I think that Lynx will survive in a rump form for at least another year, until some EMBRAER engineering magicians can determine how a 170 can go from DEN-ASE or vice versa.  Where the airplanes went is somewhat of a mystery, and crews ended up all over the world.  When I was in Toronto, there was considerable recruiting occuring then for international jobs, and I spoke with the ANANet Chief TRI/Line Check Airman (there for recurrent) about a job. I know some went to Japan and Ethiopia, and number of us ended up out of aviation (like me.)

Lynx was a wonderful might-have-been. Had it worked out as it was intended, and not had a few really weak personnel in important positions, it could have been the premier regional in the US.  I know for some that's like saying, "the faster Special Olympian," but first at something, even if it sucks, is still first.

I had a buddy over there and just got to talk to him for a bit so he now went to compass...now bought by transtates.  he likes it, but I will see what he says after TSA does what it pleases with them.

glad you got out when you did and most guys were able to find something else.  it is a crazy time in the aviation world that is for sure.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Great pictures!

Ground School starts in 2 weeks, then I'll be flying in January!
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Me on IOE.

I had a buddy over there and just got to talk to him for a bit so he now went to compass...now bought by transtates.  he likes it, but I will see what he says after TSA does what it pleases with them.

glad you got out when you did and most guys were able to find something else.  it is a crazy time in the aviation world that is for sure.

They were attempting to sell the Compass people on the  "flowthrough" to Northwest.  I went to a Compass interview, and made the mistake of saying "I try not to count chickens before they are hatched, I'll be happy jerking gear on a -170.  If a flowthrough happens, great..." when they explained what a great deal Compass was because I'd be sitting in a DC-9 in five years.  Interview over.  The Navy guy on the panel was a fucking prick, to boot.  Complete douchebag. I guess the correct answer was "AWESOME! SIGN ME UP! I COMPLETELY BELIEVE THE NORTHWEST MEC WILL OPERATE IN MY BEST INTEREST, DESPITE ALL EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY."

I thought that Compass bought TSA.  If TSA bought Compass, the Compass guys are going to get bent by Hulas.  So much for the "flowthrough."
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By stangboy555:

Great pictures!

Ground School starts in 2 weeks, then I'll be flying in January!

Get those King tapes, grab " Rod's book " and Wolfgang Langwiese's "Stick and Rudder" .

Pour over it all, then go take the written.

Tail winds dude.

ML

I've got the Jeppesen videos and books, plus ground school is going to be in class at the local college. I'm using the Ground School and Primary Flight as electives towards my business degree. My employer will pay for the college credit hours and books, but I'll have to shell out the rental fees.

Though I have been absorbing just about everything I can about Aviation and Flight

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#42]
My new ride:

[

First .9 hours was Monday.  Let the good times roll
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Col-Kurtz:
My new ride:

[http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/erickeag/IMAG0045-1.jpg

First .9 hours was Monday.  Let the good times roll

If its got the climb prop, its a nice ride.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Me on IOE.

They were attempting to sell the Compass people on the  "flowthrough" to Northwest.  I went to a Compass interview, and made the mistake of saying "I try not to count chickens before they are hatched, I'll be happy jerking gear on a -170.  If a flowthrough happens, great..." when they explained what a great deal Compass was because I'd be sitting in a DC-9 in five years.  Interview over.  The Navy guy on the panel was a fucking prick, to boot.  Complete douchebag. I guess the correct answer was "AWESOME! SIGN ME UP! I COMPLETELY BELIEVE THE NORTHWEST MEC WILL OPERATE IN MY BEST INTEREST, DESPITE ALL EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY."

I thought that Compass bought TSA.  If TSA bought Compass, the Compass guys are going to get bent by Hulas.  So much for the "flowthrough."
no TSA bought compass...and yes they will take it...DEEP!

I think delta sold mesaba and compass strictly to get rid of the flow through as well as to reduce the number of DCI carriers.

comair is up next but I think airlines won't buy them because they don't want to super expensive and very senior pilot group...just the planes.

Lots of big changes happening now, good call on not going to compass

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Me on IOE.

no TSA bought compass...and yes they will take it...DEEP!
I think delta sold mesaba and compass strictly to get rid of the flow through as well as to reduce the number of DCI carriers.
comair is up next but I think airlines won't buy them because they don't want to super expensive and very senior pilot group...just the planes.
Lots of big changes happening now, good call on not going to compass

The Compass guys will be thinking they won "Win a Date with Peter North and Ron Jeremy!" in a few months.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oldcatdriver] [#46]
I'm the handsome young Buck  in the middle  back row with the mustache about to make aeronautical ascension in the sleek and racy KC-97L. This was in the year of our Lord somewhere around 1976 or 1977.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#48]
no pics, but I'm at the stick at the 3:25 mark.  The boss was exiting the aircraft with his dog (Skydiving):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIi1HH0Lj-g

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Here's a few

In front of a CRJ we flew into NC.

Flying a skydive 182

Jumping out of the skydive 182, at a different time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top