Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 7/30/2007 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The pyamid is similar to the classiso, just with a taper tip. Same flavor. No worries mate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2007 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#2]
here is my review of the Partagas Black. I wrote this review for eherf.com, but its worth reposting here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Partagas Black (Clasico & Magnifico)

Brand and Make: PARTAGAS BLACK

Origin: DR

Price paid: box of 20 for $68

Size: 5-1/4 X 54 (clasico) & 6x50 (Magnifico)

# of them smoked prior to review: Well, A box here and there….so I estimate that Ive had about 200 or so of the Partagas Black.

Review: The Partagas BLACK is a dark and daunting looking cigar. It strikes fear into the hearts and minds of noobs by its scary black oily veiny appearance. But, little do they know is that this cigar is as smooth on the palette as the best of them and the wrapper even though is vieny is actually smooth to the touch like silk. The abundant flavors from this cigar are a variety, chocolate, coffee, dark leather. These are good flavors and come on slow, it takes a minute for the cigar to get up to temp. Some may have troubles with the P.Black burning unevenly, this is because the wrapper is thicker than other cigars and requires that you turn your cigars 180 degrees in the humidor so it can get even moisture into the wrapper. If you are in the company of others, they may say the smoke smells of manure….not a bad thing as this is a sign of a good cigar, but can be annoying to non-herf’ers.

Draw: Fair draw, no complaints.

Food prior: ehhh, I cant remember….but I DO recommend that you eat something first. If you don’t you may get what I call “LaGloria Legs”, lots of juice in these and if not prepared you may feel it. The Partagas Black is a strong cigar, yet smooth so it sneaks up on you.

Drank during: Lipton Iced Tea(2 days aged). Also tested successfully with Fat Tire, Makers Mark bourbon, Oban Scotch, Bookers bourbon.

Humidor Conditions: Fridgerador 69/69 w/Electronic Cigar Oasis

Time spent in humidor prior to smoking: 1 day to 12 months, they never really changed for the better, Smoke soonest.

Other similar cigars: Onyx

Turd to Good ratio: out of 200 or so, I think ive had 2 sour ones.

Cutter: Xikar double guillotine

Light with: Use matches, I have used a bic several times because matches weren’t available…but I don’t recommend it. I can taste the fuel, not good.

Summary: Excellent cigar. Deceivingly smooth on the palette for its dark and rich appearance. Good flavor for a great price. This cigar is a best buy. Smoke this cigar sooner than later, otherwise the oils will evaporate. The oils make this cigar what it is. :D

Added: August 14th 2006
Reviewer: Gaspain
Link Posted: 7/30/2007 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
here is my review of the Partagas Black. I wrote this review for eherf.com, but its worth reposting here.

<<<SNIP>>>

Great review !

What would ypu give it overall on a scale of 1 to 10?
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]

...I have used a bic several times because matches weren’t available…but I don’t recommend it. I can taste the fuel, not good.

I am about to send you an Xtend lighter if i EVER hear you say you used a bic again.  

Rule #1 (feel free to repeat after me): I will only use butane based lighters or good wood/cedar match to light my cigars...

Samps
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<<<SNIP>>>

Great review !

What would ypu give it overall on a scale of 1 to 10?

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The pyamid is similar to the classiso, just with a taper tip. Same flavor. No worries mate.

Awesome.

I had a pronto last night. That was one smooth cigar! Great choice!

Edit: This cigar definitely has body. It burns well and is nice and smooth. I enjoy mine with grape juice from concentrate

I rate it a 9.5, this is one strong smooth smoke.

To qualify my 9.5 I will tell you a little about me. I haven't had more than 30 brands of cigars in my life. I like dark and strong and smooth. This is all three.

Very nice choice.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I just finished my pyramid cause the store was out of classicos.

As always, a great smoke.  Construction is great, wrapper is thick if a bit veiny, and it is very firm to the touch.

I personally don't like pyramids cause I end up cutting about half an inch off to get a draw I like.  Flavor was great as usual, more coffee like than nutty.  Burn was good and even.  I did have to relight once as I neglected it a bit when doing some work in the garage.  Ash was nice and firm and white.  

Highly recommended, though I usually smoke the Magnificos.

Oops, forgot the overall score.  I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.  9 if it wasn't a pyramid.

So, what's next?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The other morning I got a wild hair and emailed seriouscigars.com I told them of our new forum and of the cigar of the month. I also explained to them that I was merely a member of the site with no official role. I told them that I noticed that the first two cigars were linked to their site. I said that while I couldn't garantee that their site was ever linked again, I asked if they would like to give us some consideration as a "group buy". I said it might increase the frequency of their hot linking and it could give us a deal.

Here is the reply I got:

We could offer a 10% discount on the stocks that are being looked at. Your guys could even give me a heads up on something they are thinking of and I can tell them what kind of stock we have available. If they let me know when the Cigar of the Month starts and ends, I can adjust the price on the site before it starts.

End of reply.

So, when it is your turn to pick the cigar of the month, pick it a few days or a week before the month, email [email protected] and tell him your picking for the month of _____ and it will start and end on whatever date, if they stock it he will adjust the price on the site. If you buy two or three cigars then you could save at least a buck, not too bad since there are 12 months in the year. (I'm cheap)

Or if you don't like Serious Cigars or they don't offer your pick, or you only prefer another vendor the post that link. Don't feel obligated to pick them, but the offer has been extended.

This could be especially helpful if we get 30 or 50 people in on COTM if you made your pick early this month for next month you could give them the heads up to be in stock.

Once again, this isn't about plugging anyone or exchanging business in any way. This is about me asking and someone offering to do a little something to get just a little more value in our forum. I bought from them to get my Pratagas, that's as far as our relationship goes.

If it pleases the masses I could also email jrcigar, etc. I just don't want to start a price war or a "my vendor is better than yours" thing.

GoatBoy and TC6969 approve this message.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good to know

I think we all owe Waldo0506 a big round of applause for his efforts on taking the time to make this happen for us.

Or at least a beer

Like he said, we don't HAVE to use them, but if we do, it looks like they will throw us bone and save folks a little bit o' bean.

I'm all about cheaper sticks.

Thanks again Waldo !!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know

I think we all owe Waldo0506 a big round of applause for his efforts on taking the time to make this happen for us.

Or at least a beer

Like he said, we don't HAVE to use them, but if we do, it looks like they will throw us bone and save folks a little bit o' bean.

Thanks again Waldo !!!

I'll accept your beer at our first annual Ar15 Cigar Forum Smoke Party

I just started a WHOLE new thread!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know

Or at least a beer

Thanks again Waldo !!!

I'll accept your beer at our first annual Ar15 Cigar Forum Smoke Party

I just started a WHOLE new thread!

You got it
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in.

I'll pick up the Partagas soon.

I'm a cigar NOOB, but everyone started somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm in.

I'll pick up the Partagas soon.

I'm a cigar NOOB, but everyone started somewhere.

You can join me in the NOOB club.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got my 5 Clasico from my local B&M, will be smoking both the Magnifico (got that from JR almost 4-5 months ago) and Clasico this weekend, will post results.

BTW, what is the September cigar of the month?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is mine:

Strength: Full Bodied,
Flavor: Leathery, touch of coffee, sweetness, and nutty, peppery at the end
Companion drink: Diet Coke

I elect to cut the head with my Xicar instead of punching the cigar.

Prelight draw is good, with a slight drag which I like.  Licking the tobacco, I taste coffee and ever so slightly, a slight sweetness (might be the diet coke)

The cigar burn reasonablly well, just needed to be touched up mid-way, very minor issue.  I tasted leathery with a ever so slight touch of coffee, sweetness, and nutty flavor, lasted almost 2/3 of the cigar.  The last 2/3, the leathery flavor increasly and the sweetness and coffee give way to peppery, until the end.  I nubbed it.

My rating: 8.5
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is my submission:
A. Fuente Gran Reserva double chateau natural
Fuente @ Best Cigar Prices
Search for "double"

Coronado by La Flor Dominican, double corona
(CA #2 cigar of the year, 2006)
La Flor @ Best Cigar Prices
Search for "coronado"

Padron 3000 Maduro
Padron @ Best Cigar Prices
Search for "3000"

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here is my submission:
Fuente @ Best Cigar Prices
Search for "double"

Coronado by La Flor Dominican, double corona
(CA #2 cigar of the year, 2006)
La Flor @ Best Cigar Prices
Search for "coronado"

Padron 3000 Maduro
Padron @ Best Cigar Prices
Search for "3000"

I take it that you want to make the selection for Sept.

Pick ONE of those, and follow the rules in the first post of this thread. Remember, these need to be less than $10 each when purchased individually, and a link of an in-stock dealer that offers them individually needs to be posted as well.

IM your review to me and I will post it when we get closer to September!
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, here is my selection:

A. Fuente cigars at Best Cigar Prices
Search for "double"
Price: $97.95 for a box of 20 or $30.30 for a pack of 5, $5 to $6 each ($10 each at So. Cal. cigar shops)

Strength: Medium to Full Body
Construction: Cameroon wrapper, Dominican binders and long fillers

DWFAN, I'll IM you my review tonight when I light one up.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTR- July is all yours

Ok, here goes:

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story

They are available online here:

www.seriouscigars.com/types/Build_mfr.asp?mfg=Arturo+Fuente&Cat=Cigars

However, I bet that you can find them locally.

Strength: Medium, Spicy, Complex
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Origin: Dominican Republic

They are a 4 1/2 by 49, and are a perfecto shaped cigar.

If you have never smoked one, you will be in for a treat.  

The perfecto shape makes them very easy to light, and I will bet that you will have an almost perfectly burning cigar.  The draw is consistent, providing a just right volume of smoke.  They are also a nice size, and not a huge commitment.  A perfect party cigar as you will not spend the whole night on the porch when you choose to indulge.  

For me, this cigar goes perfect with a nice medium bodied beer, a Bass, Bitburger, or maybe a Stella Artois.  

I would suggest that you order at least two, as you will be wanting another before you know it.  I will be looking forward to your reviews!!  

The short story is a classic cigar and hard to find cigar, very sought after out west.  By the way my first stop here and glad to have found it.  I very much love this short smoke cigar, in fact the big shop here in Portland only vends them to regular regulars who ask for them, and spend a lot of duckets in the shop.  great choice.

Kent
TPDUSA
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#20]

SEPTEMBER PICK IS UP....1ST POST!!!

Link Posted: 8/25/2007 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay,

So, this afternoon I smoked the Short story to get caught up.  Very nice cigar with a good mild flavor.  I bought 2, and will be buying a box when I can put together the scratch.   $124.00/25 at my local shop.

I also bought the Partagas Black Label Classico, and I will smoke it either tonight or tomorrow.

I really like the Fuentes and I am looking forward to this Partagas!

Ciao.  (for now)
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Alrighty.

So I went ahead and smoked the Partagas tonight while I was cooking a pork roast on the BBQ.

The food was excellent, (just finished dinner) but the smoke was OUT OF THIS WORLD.  You guys sure know how to pick 'em.

The Black Label  started out with a strong taste that my noob senses will call peppery.  Then it settled in to a nice smooth flavor for the rest of the cigar.  I really liked it.

I think I will have a hard decision on whether or not to buy the Short Stories, or the Partagas.

I really thought it was going to be much stronger, but this was a SUPER cigar.

If you haven't bought one yet, I high;y recommend it.  

Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont particularly like the Double Chateu. I usually end up giving them away.

But to show support, I wont do a review of them but I will make a gun pic of them for ya'll.

Link Posted: 8/25/2007 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Hmmm, not sure I'm gonna make it to the cigar store for this months entry.  Maybe I can order one online.

Can I put in a vote for no more A.F. cigars.  I think we should limit it to one brand per month per year.  There are plenty of great smokes out there and I hope we can use this as an exercise to find those out.

My vote for October goes to the Camacho Coyolar Super Toro.  I've never had one but have heard they are a great smoke and would like to hear other's opinions.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

But to show support, I wont do a review of them but I will make a gun pic of them for ya'll.

That's awesome!
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Alrighty.

So I went ahead and smoked the Partagas tonight while I was cooking a pork roast on the BBQ.

The food was excellent, (just finished dinner) but the smoke was OUT OF THIS WORLD.  You guys sure know how to pick 'em.

The Black Label  started out with a strong taste that my noob senses will call peppery.  Then it settled in to a nice smooth flavor for the rest of the cigar.  I really liked it.

I think I will have a hard decision on whether or not to buy the Short Stories, or the Partagas.

Thanks Guys!

I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2007 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hmmm, not sure I'm gonna make it to the cigar store for this months entry.  Maybe I can order one online.

Can I put in a vote for no more A.F. cigars.  I think we should limit it to one brand per month per year.  There are plenty of great smokes out there and I hope we can use this as an exercise to find those out.

My vote for October goes to the Camacho Coyolar Super Toro.  I've never had one but have heard they are a great smoke and would like to hear other's opinions.

First, I hope you feeling better.

That is exactly why I felt that doing this on a bi-weekly basis was simply too much.

That said, the Sept pick although an AF, is different enough from the Hemingway line, that I think it will still go over well.

If another Hemingway or Gran Reserva were picked with only shape and size being different, I would say that we would have to veto that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks.

And I just meant going on throughout the year that we should focus on different brands, that's all.  Damn CI doesn't sell these individually so I think I'm out this month.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thanks.

And I just meant going on throughout the year that we should focus on different brands, that's all.  Damn CI doesn't sell these individually so I think I'm out this month.

No excuse, seriouscigars.com does

I understand you. If this turns into an AF fest or any other brand for that matter, I'll just have to issue an executive order smackdown.

Link Posted: 8/26/2007 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Yeah, but I already have an order I gotta make from CI and theres no excuse for buying one cigar and paying as much in shipping as the cigar cost.  We'll see, maybe I can talk someone into running to the local cigar store for me.

I go in for surgery on Tuesday, six weeks in a cast, and three months with no weight bearing on the leg.  But at least I'll get to smoke again next week once I have the cast on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Yeah, but I already have an order I gotta make from CI and theres no excuse for buying one cigar and paying as much in shipping as the cigar cost.  We'll see, maybe I can talk someone into running to the local cigar store for me.

I go in for surgery on Tuesday, six weeks in a cast, and three months with no weight bearing on the leg.  But at least I'll get to smoke again next week once I have the cast on.

I'm sure you can sucker someone into a gar run for you.

Good luck with the surgery, and make sure you report in when you get back home
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Ah, go for the Partagas, just on a pure cost benefit analysis.  You get a longer smoke for less money.

Glad you like the Partagas, it is one of my favorites too.

DWFAN- Thanks, I'll keep you you all posted and let you know my first smoke back.

Quoted:
Alrighty.

Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Any reviews for Sept COTM yet folks?
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I got to smoke the COTM today as I sat at the cigar shop and watched the Chicago Bears lose to San Diego, 14-3.

Cigar: Arturo Fuente Single Chateau ($4.50 locally)
Smoke Time: 45 minutes
Cutter: Cigar shop V-Cutter
Lighter: Firebird Vista
Accompaniment: Seattle's Best Green Tea Smoothie

The cigar (actually a single chateau, as they were out of the double) was very light and mild.  I did not taste any specific tastes (such as leather or pepper) but it was a beautifully neutral cigar.

The "second-hand" smoke seemed very strong, but it drew nicely and evenly and I enjoyed the cigar.  I definitely enjoy the 8-5-8 a little more as the flavors are a little more complex while keeping the mildness.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#36]
ok i'm in... though I'll be a bit behind as I need to order and have it shipped out here- and I may not always be around....  but I'll try to keep up

September's order is going in tomorow AM....

Great Idea btw... This will help out the newer smokers (like myself) and make me try things outside of my normal....

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#37]

October pick is needed before Sunday folks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, I went to the local shop and bought the Partagas Black Label-Clasico -  as submitted by DWFAN and a Arturo Fuente Double Chateau- Natural- as submitted by leungken.  They didn't have any Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story- as submitted by WalkerTexasRanger, so I ended up with a Arturo Fuente Hemmingway of a differant kind.  I'll start workin' on them when I get a chance.  Don't tell the wife!

Mark.

Also a member of the "nOOb club".
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#39]
My suggestions are:

Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Toro

Comacho Coyolar Toro
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#40]
my nominations for October:

Ashton VSG Tres Mystique 4.4x38,  about $8.00ea
Torano Exodus Silver edition Corona Grande 6x46, about $3.50ea

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I like your Torano choice.  Looks interesting.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I like your Torano choice.  Looks interesting.  

I like your Camacho choice. Its a new one to me.  

Maybe someone can decide what to smoke for us
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Alright kids, I say we go with Ratters Camacho choice since he posted first.

gaspain is locked up for the Novemeber stick

Ratters, IM me your review, and I'll put it in the first post.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#44]
OK, I'll see if I can get someone to drive me to the cigar shop this week.  I've been feeling much better getting around, just still can't drive for the next couple months.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, I got to the smoke shop today and got the Comacho Coyolar Double Toro.  They didn't have the standard Toro.  This is a big fat cigar!  I'll try it sometime soon.

Mark.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#46]

I got a shipment today that included a few Camacho Coyolars myself.

Gonna smoke one this weekend, and give my review.

Now if only RATTERS (AHEM) would give his review, we might all know what we're going to be in for
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, being a gimp I'm reliant on others to get me around.  I'm gonna try to get to the cigar shop Saturday.  Barring that I have some Camacho Coyolars coming in the mail next week.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Well, being a gimp I'm reliant on others to get me around.  I'm gonna try to get to the cigar shop Saturday.  Barring that I have some Camacho Coyolars coming in the mail next week.

Damn gimps
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#49]
OK, got skunked at the cigar shop.  Gonna have to wait for my Camacho to come in the mail this week.  I did get the Torano Silver but in torpedo and the VSG but in corona gorda as those were the closest options for next month.

And I realized I need to get a cabinet humidor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2007 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#50]
OK, finally smoked the Camacho Coyolar last night.  Overall it was very enjoyable.  Pre-light was good and peppery.  It lit and stayed lit well with good burn all the way down with a runner only developing in the last inch or so.  Flavor was STRONG and peppery though not very complex.  But the flavor was good throughout I'm gonna smoke another as soon as I can. Just make sure you eat before you smoke one.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top