BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
ANY TAKERS FOR THE APRIL PICK?
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up a couple dozen cigars, so my thoughts from what I have and what hasn't been reviewed yet:

Alec Bradley Maxx
Casa Magna
Rocky Patel Olde World Toro Maduro
Rocky Patel Connecticut

Any thoughts on these?  I've never had any, so go easy on me if they are crap
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just picked up a couple dozen cigars, so my thoughts from what I have and what hasn't been reviewed yet:

Alec Bradley Maxx
Casa Magna
Rocky Patel Connecticut

Any thoughts on these?  I've never had any, so go easy on me if they are crap

Oh man, the Maxx is a HORRIBLE cigar.

Sadly, couldn't find one for this review except for the pre-production example I've had.  Since I didn't review this month I can't pick for next.

That said, I still nominate The Egg.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alec Bradley Maxx

Casa Magna

Rocky Patel Connecticut

Any thoughts on these? I've never had any, so go easy on me if they are crap

Oh man, the Maxx is a HORRIBLE cigar.

Sadly, couldn't find one for this review except for the pre-production example I've had. Since I didn't review this month I can't pick for next.

That said, I still nominate The Egg.

You've reviewed cigars before so you're eligible.

HOWEVER, The Egg is not a suitable choice.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
leungken is taking the April slot.

Review will be up this weekend
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Review is up in OP
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Great pick, that is a hell of a cigar.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great pick, that is a hell of a cigar.

Honestly, up till last year release of San Cristobal and La Aroma de Cuba, I wasn't impressed with Don Pepin's cigar.
I was turned off from the initial release of the San Cristobal, which is basically a pepper bomb.
Last year, I changed my mind:
First La Aroma de Cuba, then San Cristobal, then in Las Vegas a few months ago, I tried My Father the first time.
In any case, I hope you all will enjoy my pick this month.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Date: 4/17/10

Cigar: My Father #2 (5.5 x 54)

Cost: Don't remember

Drink: Orange Crush

Appearance: This has a habano rosado wrapper on it.  The wrapper is flawless.  It has one of the best bands I have ever seen on a cigar.  The appearance gets a 10/10

Pre-Light: The cigar smells great.  The smell is very floral and sweet.  I didn't pick up much flavor on the pre-light.

Construction: Held an average ash.  The draw was perfect.  

Taste of the cigar: The first 1/4" has a strong cedar/wood taste to it.  About 1" in, the flavor is cedar/wood as well as some coffee flavors.  The cedar/wood/coffee flavor remained throughout the rest of the cigar.  

Strength: This is a medium bodied cigar.  

Summary: This cigar was pretty average to me.  It was pretty one-dimensional.  I like the lancero size better because it is more complex and you can really pick up the wrapper flavors.  I give this cigar a 7/10.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#10]
My first monthly update.  My Father #2.

This is most definitely a medium bodied cigar without a lot of dimension to its taste.  The wrapper was really nice, only one small imperfection, nothing worth noting.  

It was definitely not strong, I didn't get much nicotene out of it, which I don't mind.  The draw was pretty light but I wouldn't say it was a negative, just not a positive.

All in all, I wasn't impressed with this cigar for the money and the hype, I wouldn't buy it again.  I'd say a 7/10 in the end.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]
How about Man O War for May?
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How about Man O War Ruination for May?

IM inbound

Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#13]
May pick and review up in OP
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Um... Isn't that a regular Man O' War in the initial review??? The Ruination that I smoked had a darker wrapper, and the label was different too...
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Padron 1964 FAM for June?
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 2:51:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Um... Isn't that a regular Man O' War in the initial review??? The Ruination that I smoked had a darker wrapper, and the label was different too...

Yeah...sorry about that.  I purchased a MOW Ruination from cigarsinternational...said Ruination on the receipt I received...paid the Ruination price...so I bought some more and sure enough, they aren't the same.  I will ask DWFAN to change the monthly review to a regular MOW.  

Still, a great cigar, I wish more people had reviewed it, I felt lonely
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...sorry about that.  I purchased a MOW Ruination from cigarsinternational...said Ruination on the receipt I received...paid the Ruination price...so I bought some more and sure enough, they aren't the same.  I will ask DWFAN to change the monthly review to a regular MOW.  

I've got one regular MoW in my humidor at home... I'll try to smoke it sometime next week and post up a quick review... It is one of my favorite smokes...
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I changed the Review so that folks know it's the original MOW.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It has just taken me a while to order one.  Should have it in sometime this week..  He'll I'm biding on a box right now and havn't tried one

Link Posted: 5/22/2010 1:56:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I've smoked many of these, good smokes. I'll try and get a review up next week. Getting married on the 29th though so might not have time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I've smoked many of these, good smokes. I'll try and get a review up next week. Getting married on the 29th though so might not have time.

About time you made her an honest woman...

Congrats
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Congrats!

any gal who like's going to the air races is a keeper!
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 1:45:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Welcome back and Congrat.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I want ahead and picked one of these up, just in case this is the pick for June...
Link Posted: 5/25/2010 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Maduro or natural going by a B&M this weekend.  Would like to pick this up incase it is selected.
Link Posted: 5/25/2010 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Smoked a regular MoW tonight, and was thoroughly impressed as always... Pre-light draw was a bit tight, and draw remained that way throughout the whole smoke, but this didn't detract from it's overall enjoyment...

Noticed quite a bit of "spice" up front with the cigar which dropped off after about the first 1/4, but the flavor stayed constant and was nice and smooth... If the draw had been a bit better I'd give it a 9/10, but as it was I'd still give it a 8.5 ...If you haven't tried one yet, do yourself a favor and order at least a fiver...

Link Posted: 5/26/2010 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maduro or natural going by a B&M this weekend. Would like to pick this up incase it is selected.

That stick is above the $ threshold for the COTM......so don't buy it just for the sake of the COTM....buy it cos' it's a great smoke

We still need a taker for a pick/review for June...follow the rules in the OP and it's yours

Link Posted: 5/26/2010 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maduro or natural going by a B&M this weekend. Would like to pick this up incase it is selected.

That stick is above the $ threshold for the COTM......so don't buy it just for the sake of the COTM....buy it cos' it's a great smoke

We still need a taker for a pick/review for June...follow the rules in the OP and it's yours

Whoops... I musta bought the wrong stick... I bought a '64 Anniversary Exclusivo Maduro which was only $10.95...

this is what I bought
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry guys, ran out of time, but thanks for all the congrats.

But as I've smoked many of these, my review is the regular MOW is a good smoke, give it a 8.5, and the Ruination is a great smoke, getting a 9.0. There.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How about a Cain F?  If so, let me know and I'll do June's review.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about a Cain F? If so, let me know and I'll do June's review.

Rules are in OP

DO a review and IM it to me

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Meant to do this a few days ago while it was still May.  Any who I'm going to take a shot at typing a review for the Man O War.   I have used a V cutter to cut this.   My predraw(unlit)is nice and easy slight taste of what I would call baked bread or lightly toasted bread.  First few draws I'm not sure of how to describe the taste,but it's far from harsh or over powering.  Might be a nut of some kind.  Starting to get some peppery taste mixed with something else (possible some type of spice)maybe 1/4 the way in.  Past the quarter mark and getting a bread like taste.  Somewhere around the halfway mark I'm getting a mix of what I call bread hints of pepper and maybe cocoa.   Not sure,but I like it.  Almost at the last quarter still have that nice toast taste with some spice.  Not sure how to explain the taste I'm getting in the end,but this is one of the better cigars I've smoked.

Side notes: drink was a diet coke,  dumped the ash often so I can't tell how well it would hold ash long term.  The ash was about an inch and a half when I dumped it.
I am very new to cigar smoking so critique away.
ETA: Out of the few cigars I've smoked I would easily give this a 9.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Meant to do this a few days ago while it was still May.  Any who I'm going to take a shot at typing a review for the Man O War.   I have used a V cutter to cut this.   My predraw(unlit)is nice and easy slight taste of what I would call baked bread or lightly toasted bread.  First few draws I'm not sure of how to describe the taste,but it's far from harsh or over powering.  Might be a nut of some kind.  Starting to get some peppery taste mixed with something else (possible some type of spice)maybe 1/4 the way in.  Past the quarter mark and getting a bread like taste.  Somewhere around the halfway mark I'm getting a mix of what I call bread hints of pepper and maybe cocoa.   Not sure,but I like it.  Almost at the last quarter still have that nice toast taste with some spice.  Not sure how to explain the taste I'm getting in the end,but this is one of the better cigars I've smoked.

Side notes: drink was a diet coke,  dumped the ash often so I can't tell how well it would hold ash long term.  The ash was about an inch and a half when I dumped it.
I am very new to cigar smoking so critique away.

Can you give us an overall score for the cigar?  7..8..9?
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#34]
So do we have a cigar for this month?  Otherwise I'm gonna submit my Cain Habano Torpedo review, though I'd prefer a Cain F review ...
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

So do we have a cigar for this month? Otherwise I'm gonna submit my Cain Habano Torpedo review, though I'd prefer a Cain F review

Nobody has told me they want the pick for June yet...

We already reviewed a Cain Habano 550 back in February

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So do we have a cigar for this month? Otherwise I'm gonna submit my Cain Habano Torpedo review, though I'd prefer a Cain F review ...

Nobody has told me they want the pick for June yet...

We already reviewed a Cain Habano 550 back in February

I think Slavac is going to do the Cain F review.  I did the MOW just for fun, and get part of the qualifications required to pick a cigar.  Out of the way.  Slavac don't make me do a review on the swiser sweet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Wrong thread.  

-X
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Slavac are you going to do the Cain F review?  If not let me know and I'll fumble around the mass assortment I have and get a review up on something sometime this week.   I know school is more important than a review.  So I'm not going rag on you for studying instead of doing a review..  Hopefully I'll be working on my nursing degree in the fall if everything goes as I plan.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#39]
June pick up in OP....better late than never
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice review Slavac.  I am out this month.  I cannot stand this cigar.  I love the Cain Habano 550, but the Cain F lacks complexity.  To me, at least...
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I have one left in my humi, so I'll review it this month.

Any takers on July yet?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Cain F Torpedo

Price: $10.50 at local cigar shop

Drink: Firestone Double Barrel Ale (good local amber beer)

Construction: The cigar had a nice construction, held ash very well, stayed lit an burned evenly.  The pull was a little on the light side, but overall I really liked the look of the Cain F and the wrap was extremely oily in a good way.

Nicotene Strength: Not a strong cigar, but I definitely got a little buzz off it and I tend to be pretty resistant to nicotene.

Taste: I really liked the initial taste of the cigar, it was very smooth, but the cigar was pretty one note, after about an hour I was a little over half way through and the taste never changed.  Once it was about 3/4 the way through I lost interest and put it out.

Overall the cigar was fine, but I enjoyed the other Cain cigars more.  

Score: 7.5

Link Posted: 6/30/2010 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Any takers on July?
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Bought a CAO Brazilia Samba last month as a possible COTM, anybody have an issue with me submitting that as the July COTM?
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 4:25:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bought a CAO Brazilia Samba last month as a possible COTM, anybody have an issue with me submitting that as the July COTM?

Sounds good to me I think the b&m I go to has these.
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Write up your review and IM it to me.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#47]
July Pick is up in OP.

IF YOU WANT TO REVIEW A CIGAR FOR A GIVEN MONTH, I MUST HAVE YOUR REVIEW BY THE 1ST OF THAT MONTH!

Link Posted: 7/28/2010 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#48]
ANYONE HAVE A CIGAR THAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO REVIEW FOR AUGUST?

DEADLINE IS SATURDAY EVENING.

Link Posted: 9/27/2010 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Is rthis thread dead?
Well it lasted for over 3 years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I think that with all the passes...all the players are busy...BUT...I think many have new smokes that could be possibilities.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top