Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2017 1:10:20 AM EDT
On a recent vacation to Europe I had the chance to have some Cuban cigars. I'm a non-smoker, but I really enjoyed it so I am trying to hone in on what my preferences are and find some high quality cigars (that are available in the US) to match. I've tried 2 cigars here but I didn't like them and this is what I noticed of what I liked about the Cubans-

Was about 7-8" long maybe 3/4" diameter (is this a Churchill?).
Smoke stayed cool until the last 1.5".
Had a tight draw, I liked having more resistance.
Was smooth and mild.
Did not wake up next morning with ash tray mouth.
Did not get sick.

This is what I've had in the US -

A Padron, but can't remember the type. Some attributes I did not like about it where -
Was too strong.
Had a loose draw, was too easy.
Felt like I ate an ash tray after an inch, so I stopped.

The second cigar was a Macanudo gold label. The cigar shop recommended this one as a "mild cigar" after I told them the Padron was too strong. I though this one had pretty good flavor and smoked the whole thing, but 5 minutes after finishing it I vomited. I did not inhale so I don't know why this one made me sick. Some attributes I did not like about it where -

Wide, maybe 1" diameter and 6" long.
Could not seem to keep the smoke cool, it was relatively warm from the beginning.
Loose draw, was too easy.
Made me sick.

Can you guy help me find a good cigar and offer any pointers?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I am just starting out but,

What I have found is I like full flavor that is complex and not super high Nicotine. I like mild sticks but a cigar like the Liga Privada T-52 has a full complex flavor that is not overwhelming, it is almost creamy. Even my wife lived it. Try this one for sure.

The La Boheme Pittore was a very nice, smooth and mild smoke.

Try the Liga and let us know what you think...

Start with as small a cut as you can. Test the draw then cut again if needed. I found it is easy to make the cut to big.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the wonderful world of cigars! If you have the interest in smoking, my best advice to you is to try several different brands, series, and vitolas, you will find your groove eventually. It will be helpful for you to keep a journal of what you smoke, and what your opinion of the smoke is, this will help you develop a sense of your preferred flavor profile.

When I was just getting started I smoked some of the Natural series by Drew Estates ( Big juicy, Root, Dirt) as well as some of the Java cigars and a few Tabaks. I had tried some of the stronger smokes, but they were too much for me, I kept on  trying new cigars, and my tastes have evolved to where I now have a small humidor with a variety of different medium to full bodied cigars that I enjoy, give it time and enjoy finding what works for you.

I am partial to the Fuente family of cigars, and my go to smoke is normally a Queen B, which is considered mild, but I also enjoy the Anjeo line as well as various other brands and series.

I don't know where in TX you are located, but if you're near the Houston area check out The Smoke Ring in Webster, they have a pretty decent selection. Oh, and go ahead and start saving for a humidor, you'll need one if you decide to stick with the hobby. Sorry to have run on, but I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What did the band look like on the Cuban you had?  Also, the flavor profile of a Cuban is far different than non Cubans.  So a similar match will be difficult.

That said, try Arturo Fuente, Padron, Tatuaje.

STAY AWAY FROM GURKHA!!!!!
View Quote
I asked my friend back in Europe what kind that was and he said it was Cohiba Romeo y Julieta.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Agreed with the above, a humidor is a good cheap investment. I bought a desk model and a travel one for $70 off Amazon.

I have been adding different sticks to my collection. One here and one there makes the expense less painful. I also got an app called my humidor to track the cigars I buy and smoke. It makes it much easier to start focusing on the one I like. I am up to 21 different cigars I need to smoke through and rate.

I have found a couple that were "mild" according to the shop but were anything but. Likewise I have smoked a couple full bodied sticks that were very smooth.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, in Texas you can find Roma Craft Tabac offerings.
I like Intemperance (milder) but they have several offerings that are superb.  And reasonable. They are superior to many smokes that are much more expensive.
Roma Craft Tobac

If you are in the DFW area then I can offer some specific advice you might find helpful about a local guy who rolls some great cigars.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ah.  Good stuff.  Do you remember which one?

The RyJ you can buy in the states will not, at all, be like the good ones.  So don't even bother.  Arturo Fuente is a good brand to cut your teeth on.
View Quote
The AF Exquisitos cigarillos are great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top