Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2016 5:42:00 PM EDT
I'm pretty new to cigars and I'm looking for a good humidor.  Would prefer to grab it on Amazon as I have gift cards.  Would like to keep it around $40-$50 but not really sure if that's reasonable.  Any help is appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
"Good" and "around $40-$50" are oxymorons when it comes to humidors IMO. Sorry.

Plenty of cheap sub $100 humidors on Amazon, countless other .coms, cigarbid.com, etc - all of which are cheap Chinese imported junk that generally don't hold humidity very well. Whatever you do, don't buy a glass top.

If that's REALLY all you can spend, then think about starting with something simple and cheap BUT 100% effective like a "tuppador" until you can invest in something higher quality that will actually hold humidity and be worthy of owning.

Of course, [shameless self promotion in 3, 2, 1] our humidors are the best you can get when it comes humidification efficiency, durability, to easy of maintenance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I was afraid that was the case. I smoke maybe one cigar a week. So wasn't trying to drop a large amount on a humidor. I'll probably just keep buying one or two at a time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep them in something. A tupperware (or any plastic container that is air tight) with a Boveda pack is a cheap and super effective as a short term solution. Heck some guys use nothing but that for their whole collection - even large coolers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#4]
This is a great start: Humidor/Cigar Combo

The cigars are good, for the exception of maybe 2. The humi isn't the greatest on planet earth but it holds humidity and carries an average of 4 out of 5 stars online.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd say go the coolerdor route for 2 reasons.  1) it's easy to scale up to a larger cooler and 2) if you lose interest you still have a useful cooler.  

Get a small cooler, 10 quart or slightly larger? $15
Digital Hygrometer $10- $15
Heartfelt beads (sized for larger volume that fits within your costs) $20

This is not a sexy, keep it on your desktop option, but they are amazing at holding temp and humidity.  Spend your time and money trying new sticks not over complicating storage.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My local guy gave me a boveda pack to keep a few sticks I just bought from him in.  So an air tight jar with one of those packs would do the trick?  Just not sure I need another crazy expensive habit/hobby right now
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a great start: Humidor/Cigar Combo

The cigars are good, for the exception of maybe 2. The humi isn't the greatest on planet earth but it holds humidity and carries an average of 4 out of 5 stars online.
View Quote

Thanks for this link.  I'm at the point of trying to figure out what I really like so the sampler plus humidor is a great idea.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, that will work very well for now.  Keep it in a very constant temp location.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd say go the coolerdor route for 2 reasons.  1) it's easy to scale up to a larger cooler and 2) if you lose interest you still have a useful cooler.  

This is not a sexy, keep it on your desktop option, but they are amazing at holding temp and humidity.  Spend your time and money trying new sticks not over complicating storage.  
View Quote

This was my thinking.  I don't think I'm at a point where I should spend a crazy amount on storage.  I don't even know what I really like yet as far as cigars go.  

Thanks for input fellas.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, that will work very well for now.  Keep it in a very constant temp location.
View Quote

Sounds like a few of these packs and a stolen mason jar from my wifes kitchen are going to by my first humidor
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Tupperware...boveda pack....couple cedar planks and a cool spot in my desk drawer all for only a couple of bucks
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

This absolutely.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tupperware...boveda pack....couple cedar planks and a cool spot in my desk drawer all for only a couple of bucks
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/134638/IMG-0432-108780.JPG
View Quote

Ok, this is me all the way.  What's the sunbeam?  Does it measure humidity or temp?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ok, this is me all the way.  What's the sunbeam?  Does it measure humidity or temp?
View Quote

Its humidity ....ideally I would use digital but. I had this one laying around....im staying right at 72 %
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Do NOT waste money on a "humidor".  Build a coolerdoor for less money that will really allow you to keep your cigars and age them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm pretty new to cigars and I'm looking for a good humidor.  Would prefer to grab it on Amazon as I have gift cards.  Would like to keep it around $40-$50 but not really sure if that's reasonable.  Any help is appreciated!
View Quote

Get a newair cigar cooler. A little spendy but almost plug in and forget. 
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do NOT waste money on a "humidor".  Build a coolerdoor for less money that will really allow you to keep your cigars and age them.
View Quote

Put a very quick tupador together. Will look into the coolerdor next.

Thanks for all the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top