Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2016 9:05:05 PM EDT
I can't seem to get the humidity down in my wine-a-dor.  I came across this at the Dollar Tree for, well one dollar.  It is calcium chloride dihydrate, or Damp Rid.  Little white pellets.  Has anyone ever used this in their humidor, temporarily, to get the humidity down?

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I used it in a few closets and it was worthless.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you plug the drain hole?
How much Spanish cedar is in there to buffer the environment?
Are you using beads???
Active humidification or just beads, gel...other???

Oh...and Damp Rid...can suck the sweetness out of every cigar in there.
Moisture is a balance but once it's pulled from the cigar and the oils go, there is no return.
Unless you are watching that 24/7, there is no way to see where the moisture is being pulled from and I would sure hate to see you lose all in the box.

Have you checked all the seals???
Checked for holes not plugged???
Is the Wineador running?
Did you add fans???

Details man....details!!!!
View Quote

Ha, ok.  I guess that would help.

I have a NewAir CC-100 refrigerator humidor.  It's a custom wine-a-dor with cedar shelves and drawer.  I loaded it up and followed all the directions, plugged the hole, put a tray of distilled water and a digital hygrometer in there, properly calibrated.  I basically set it and forget it, and pretty much stopped smoking for a while.  I checked the humidity occasionally and it looked good enough.  around 72.  Well I got the urge to smoke one and opened it up.  There was water puddled in the bottom and mold was rampant.  White mold.  I freaked and took everything out, did the alcohol wash on all the cedar, rubbed down all sticks, took all precautions and saved MOST of the cigars.  So, after a few days airing out I've stuck them all back in.  I left the hole unplugged, no hydration at all, and monitored.  84% humidity with NO water or beads etc.  So the other night I went to Petsmart and got a bag of excuisicat.  Stuff worked great.  Slowly dropped the humidity to 74%, but not enough.  Then I saw this stuff at the dollar tree and bought it.  It has no smell at all.  I stuck it in there last night and as I write this the humidity is now at 64%.  I'm about to pull it back out but I can't find the sweet spot to keep this NewAir thingy around 68% or so.

Edit - I've pulled it out.  At 64% I'm hoping it stabilizes around 66-68%.  Plugged the hole, only kitty litter in there.  I love that stuff by the way.  7lbs for 13 bucks and works like a champ.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reply!  I read it too late though because I already put the sticks back in.  As of right now the humidity is holding steady at 66-67%, with nothing but sticks and silica gel (KL) in there.  I'm happy now.  I always heard that you had to supply humidity like distilled water but that is apparently not true, particularly in the NewAir.  Now, the question remains did I do any permanent damage to my cigars.  Time will tell I guess but I think a few of them will still be fine.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Holding steady at 67% all day long today.  I'm hoping I've got this under control.  Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top