Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2016 8:55:09 PM EDT
The Food and Drug Administration announced this morning tough new regulations on the entire U.S. tobacco industry, including the segment that makes and markets premium, handmade cigars.

Despite previous hopes, the premium cigar industry did not get the exemption it—and thousands of cigar lovers across the United States—had lobbied for. The FDA chose Option One, the tougher of the two routes, casting aside any exemption for premium cigars.

If left unchecked, the rulings issued today would take effect in 90 days, or August 8, 2016. The premium cigar industry is preparing a legal response to challenge the FDA ruling.

The ruling includes:

• Establishing a federally mandated minimum of 18 years for the purchase of any tobacco product, including sales made online, and age verification made by photo ID.

• The banning of free tobacco samples.

• The requirement of products released after February 15, 2007 to be verified by the FDA before going to market.
View Quote

FDA Ruling Threatens Cigar Industry
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
God Dammit!

This year was my very first Cigarfest 2016 since I turned 21 over the Winter.

I loved it but you get hundreds of dollars of free stuff and I had the time of my life, my dad and grandfather smoke pipes and cigars regularly. Why are all my hobbies getting controlled by the government!?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if opening up Cuba has anything to do with this ruling? Interesting timing is all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Just an FYI for those who want to know pricing...

334,000$ to submit a brand after 2007.

Yup that's three hundred thousand.

So you can kiss the small cigar maker good bye. Anything else that was made after 2007 will be taken off and have to be verified by the FDA.

So I can see a lot of places doing close out sales here shortly. Which is good for us now, but bad overall.

I hope Congress will step in the tell the FDA to stuff it on the premium cigar side.

This works out perfectly for the Cuban brands especially with their crappy documentation methods and such.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand how everyone keeps saying we are going to start seeing crazy sales.

Wouldn't this be peek cigar? Why wouldn't prices go up as they try and move cigars. While everyone is hoarding

Cigar neckbeards?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't understand how everyone keeps saying we are going to start seeing crazy sales.

Wouldn't this be peek cigar? Why wouldn't prices go up as they try and move cigars. While everyone is hoarding

Cigar neckbeards?
View Quote

I think the assumption is that the small guys closing down will want to liquidate their inventory
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
This will also affect PIPE TOBACCO!!!

Hit the petitions!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This will also affect PIPE TOBACCO!!!

Hit the petitions!!
View Quote

Too late for that. Only way to stop this is through lawsuits or congress defunding the enforcement.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Filled out the petition and letters for my reps. Got two responses back so far one was a very broad thanks for your concern I will take your comments into consideration. AND one with actual relevant information.

Home Services About District Issues Newsroom Contact

May 10, 2016

Dear Mr. Johnson:

Thank you for contacting me to regarding the regulation of the cigar industry. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

On February 2, 2013, Representative Bill Posey introduced H.R. 662, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Job Preservation Act of 2015. This legislation attempts to reduce regulatory burdens on the premium cigar industry by clarifying the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) jurisdiction to regulate the cigar industry. Specifically, the bill amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the FDA and from user fees assessed on tobacco products by the FDA. Currently, H.R. 662 awaits consideration by the House Committee on Energy & Commerce.

I have serious concerns about the pace and depth at which the current administration continues to bypass Congress to enact policy change through the federal regulatory process. At a time when workforce participation rates remain unacceptably low, we should be focused on growing our economy, not creating regulations that place overbearing mandates on Hoosier businesses, schools and on the overall financial sector. In fact this is why I introduced H.R. 427, the Regulations From the Executive in Need of Scrutiny (REINS) Act, on January 21, 2015. This legislation would require Congress to affirmatively approve every new major rule proposed by the executive branch before it takes effect. The bill defines "major rule" as any rule that has resulted in or is likely to result in: (1) an annual effect on the economy of $100 million or more; (2) a major increase in costs or prices; or (3) significant adverse effects on competition, employment, investment, productivity, innovation, or U.S. competitiveness. H.R.427 passed the house on July 28, 2015 by a vote of 243- 165. It now awaits consideration by the United States Senate. I believe that H.R. 427 is necessary because it ensures that your elected representatives are held accountable for rules and regulations imposed upon American taxpayers. Be assured, I will keep your thoughts in mind should H.R. 662 or similar legislation come to the House for a vote.

I encourage you to visit my website at http://toddyoung.house.gov/ where you can sign up for my e-newsletter and stay informed on important issues facing Hoosiers and the nation. Again, thank you for contacting me.  It is an honor to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives.

In Service,

Todd Young

Member of Congress

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I went into my local shop, Boda Pipes and Cigars, and they know if this goes through, they will close.  Please sign the petitions and contact your critters!!

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#10]
There will still be plenty of cigars small shops can still sell but what it will do is severely limit whats available, all boutique brands will be gone, so they'll be in direct competition with the mail order outfits and there's no way they can compete on price.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Tag.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Please tell me that trump is a Cigar smoker.

This isnt law, correct?  Just FDA policy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct, BUT like all things the regulations basically carry the weight of the law. If you don't comply you will face insane fines and eventually imprisonment. Yay for more government

And surprisingly of all people, Obama may be our saving grace on this issue as far as premium cigars go. From people in the industry and in the know claim since he is trying to normalize relations with Cuba and allow imports from Cuba and their only export is cigars and these regulations make that impossible he may play some interference. This option 1 has already gotten his attention.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Correct, BUT like all things the regulations basically carry the weight of the law. If you don't comply you will face insane fines and eventually imprisonment. Yay for more government

And surprisingly of all people, Obama may be our saving grace on this issue as far as premium cigars go. From people in the industry and in the know claim since he is trying to normalize relations with Cuba and allow imports from Cuba and their only export is cigars and these regulations make that impossible he may play some interference. This option 1 has already gotten his attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  That would be great if the fucker would help,out

I enjoy buying small shop cigars
Guayacan
Guantanamera
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cuba exports a lot more than tobacco: Raw Sugar ($392M), Refined Petroleum ($314M), Rolled Tobacco ($236M), Hard Liquor ($116M) and Raw Nickel ($108M) are the top five. Plus, you'll have years of litigation over brand ownership before you can buy a Cuban cigar from your standard cigar distributors in the US. International mail order into the US is a different story.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Cuba exports a lot more than tobacco: Raw Sugar ($392M), Refined Petroleum ($314M), Rolled Tobacco ($236M), Hard Liquor ($116M) and Raw Nickel ($108M) are the top five. Plus, you'll have years of litigation over brand ownership before you can buy a Cuban cigar from your standard cigar distributors in the US. International mail order into the US is a different story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which Cohiba ?
Which Havana Club?
Bacardi lawsuits etc.

You are right.  It will be a clusterfuck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top