Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2016 12:34:39 AM EDT
I am getting married this year and would like to pick up a box or two (25-50) cigars to keep on the bar for those who would like to partake. I'm pretty much a complete novice when it comes to cigars but know that I enjoy small-medium cigars (Robusto/ Nub type). I'm not looking to spend a mint but would like to have a nice, middle of the road (flavor-wise) cigar that most "special occasion" cigar smokers like myself would find enjoyable. I'm hoping to get out under $100 and would like to purchase them on line if possible.

And & all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Try and order 10 or so sticks from CI or somewhere so you can try them out.

The wife and I are huge fans of the AJ Enclave a fairly medium body stick.

Could also go with the Oliva O I think thats the Cameroon, or maybe the LFD Camaroon.

IMO it comes down to what you like smoking because I or anyone else that come here regularly can point you in a direction.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm actually thinking about getting 10 or so each of mild/medium/robust just to break it up and give it some variety.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:48:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm actually thinking about getting 10 or so each of mild/medium/robust just to break it up and give it some variety.
View Quote
Oh its for other folks....If it was for you I would have sent something specific to say congrats!

Cannot go wrong with

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am getting married this year and would like to pick up a box or two (25-50) cigars to keep on the bar for those who would like to partake. I'm pretty much a complete novice when it comes to cigars but know that I enjoy small-medium cigars (Robusto/ Nub type). I'm not looking to spend a mint but would like to have a nice, middle of the road (flavor-wise) cigar that most "special occasion" cigar smokers like myself would find enjoyable. I'm hoping to get out under $100 and would like to purchase them on line if possible.

And & all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
View Quote

Personally I wouldn't buy anything above seconds, unless you have a bunch of guys who smoke cigars on the regular. Most people who end up smoking at weddings wouldn't be able to tell a second from an OPUS.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I gave my groomsmen Liga feral pigs and we drank a bottle of Irish whiskey.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Great suggestions all around, thanks Gents!

I did some poking around tonight and it looks like CI has quite a few tempting deals that will likely do the trick. For those of you that frequently order from them, how would you compare their quality 2nd's bundles to the CI Knockoff bundles? I'm going to grab a few bundles to offer some variety in flavor. I'm not overly concerned with aesthetics, I just want to be able to offer an enjoyable smoke to our guests who will be sharing in our joyous day with us. I know that if I went to a wedding and the hosts offered up a nice cigar to enjoy beside a nice craft beer, it would put me in good spirits so that's what we're aiming for here.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a sampler box and let people chose their own.
I used to get them at Costco.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great suggestions all around, thanks Gents!

I did some poking around tonight and it looks like CI has quite a few tempting deals that will likely do the trick. For those of you that frequently order from them, how would you compare their quality 2nd's bundles to the CI Knockoff bundles? I'm going to grab a few bundles to offer some variety in flavor. I'm not overly concerned with aesthetics, I just want to be able to offer an enjoyable smoke to our guests who will be sharing in our joyous day with us. I know that if I went to a wedding and the hosts offered up a nice cigar to enjoy beside a nice craft beer, it would put me in good spirits so that's what we're aiming for here.

View Quote

If I get a second tonight, I have a chart somewhere around here that will tell you what the 2nds are 2nds of, if that makes sense.  Definitely some cost effective smokes to be had.  In the $2-4 a stick range, we'll be going with bundles most likely.  I'll have a look for you!

Cheers,

Spenny
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Here we go. Last updated in August of 2014.  Should you choose to order tonight, I believe code NEWYEAR or NEWYEARS is valid through midnight for 20% off.  

Now the guide, authored by a friend:

These cigars could be close, or they could be the actual cigar. This is a collection of my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt. Everything.

Another thing I want to point out, some of these are a crapshoot what you get, while others are only one type. The RP and Oliva are the same across the board. AJF and PdR are a literal gamble, only being able to chose the vitola. Alec Bradley is a bit different. You purchase the exact size you want. Most of the time, they only make one cigar in a particular size (e.g. 7x49, tempus only).

Also, I'll add any more that people post up on and ones when I get home and have a chance to really look at the websites.

NOTE: There are cigars here than I KNOW are a specific stick. There are a few that I?m unsure about. And then there are some that I have no idea what they could be. Some of the vitolas don?t match any ever made by a particular company (see the double corona below), but they taste exactly like another known vitola. I figured that they were the same, but I could be wrong.

Also, I will keep this list updated whenever I get another mazo, I am putting them in chronologically and by which site I used. Prices include shipping.

Cigars International
A.J. Fernandez Overruns ? 20 Robustos ? Pinolero 90%, though no pigtail, $25
Nicaraguan 90+ Rated 2nds ? 15 Toro ? Oliva O Maduro 100%, $20
Alec Bradley 90+ Rated 2nds - 20 Churchill- AB Black Market 100%, $42.50
Alec Bradley 90+ Rated 2nds - 10 Double Corona #7- AB Black Market 60%, $24
Alec Bradley 90+ Rated 2nds ? 10 Lancero ? AB Tempus 100%, $26
A.J. Fernandez Overruns ? 20 Large Figurado ? Lighter than the small figurados though 7.1" x 58 RG, $30

Cigar Bid
RP X-Outs Liga A ? 15 Petite Torpedo ? RP Edge 100%, $25
PdR Overuns ? 20 Robustos ? Flores y Rodriguez Cabinet Seleccion Habano 100%, $19
Ligero Laced 2nds Liga ?M? ? 15 Double Toro ? Cain Maduro 100%, $28
Super-Premium 2nds ? 25 perfectos ? Punch 100%, $31
Nicaraguan 90+ Rated 2nds ? 15 Churchill ? Oliva O maduro 100%, $28
Man O? War 2nds ? 15 Corona ? MoW Baseline 100%, $25
Ligero Laced 2nds ? 15 Robustos ? Cain F Toro 100%, $28
Nicaraguan Gordo 2nds CT ? 15 Nubs ? Oliva Nub Conny 100%, $30
Man O? War RUIN 2nds ? 15 Belicoso ? MoW Ruination 100%, $34
A.J. Fernandez Overruns ? 20 Small Figurado ? I don't know, Very dark wrapper (6" x 60 RG), either a diesel double perfecto or estd. 1844 no 60, $33
PDR Overruns - 20 Churchill - 1878 Capa Habana Reserva Dominicana, $30

CI/CBID Wording and Decipher
Nicaraguan 90+ Rated 2nds-Oliva O Maduro. Pick the size you want
Alec Bradley 90+ Rated 2nds- Dependent on size; will expand at a later date
Rocky Patel Vintage Seconds-1990/1992 Explicitly states which ones you'll get
Nicaraguan Gordo 2nds-Nubs States which wrapper you order, the ring gauge, and whether its a torpedo or not
Fonseca Overruns-Pick the size, but unknown other than that.
Gurkha overruns-Why would you even buy the firsts....But pick the wrapper and size
AJ Fernandez Overruns-Crap shoot, however you won't get any MoW line, they sell them separately. Can pick size, though.
Super-Premium 2nds. Punch. Pick the size you want.
Victor Sinclair Overruns-Won't get series 55, they sell them separately. Pick the size, but unknown other than that.
E.P. Carrillo 2nds-Pick the size. Have heard of people getting the inch from the 'Gordo' size, but nothing other than that
PdR Overruns-Crap shoot. FyR are still a possibility. Pick the size.
Man O' War 2nds-Can't get the ruinations, they sell them separately. However, can get the side projects if you're lucky.
Man O' War ruinations 2nds- Usually only in belicoso. States what you get
Nicaraguan Sweets 2nd-Just appeared recently this month. Unknown to me. Pick the size
Victor Sinclair serie 55 2nd-You can pick size/wrapper
Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds- Cain line of cigars. Pick the group and size. More below.
Pleiades Overrun Cigars- I don't know anything about this company. Pick the size, though.
Rocky Patel X-outs-Large selection of RPs. Pick the group, size, and sometimes wrapper. More below.
Perdomo Mistakes-I have heard, though unconfirmed that they are Perdomo squared overruns. Pick between the two wrappers.
La Saguesera-Pick your size

Famous Smoke
Alec Bradley Supervisor Selection - bundle of 20 Toro (6x50) "Epicure" Natural

Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced/Cain Liga decoding. However, this is questionable. Take this section with a grain of salt
H-Habano
F-F However, Lancero is NOT Cain F lancero.
M-Maduro
D-Daytona

Rocky Patel 2nds Liga decoding
A-Edge/Edge Maduro
B-Sungrown
C-Olde World Reserve
D-Decade
E-Indian Tabac Super Fuerte
F-Edge Light/Edge Light Maduro
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here we go. Last updated in August of 2014.  Should you choose to order tonight, I believe code NEWYEAR or NEWYEARS is valid through midnight for 20% off.  

These cigars could be close, or they could be the actual cigar. This is a collection of my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt. Everything.

Another thing I want to point out, some of these are a crapshoot what you get, while others are only one type. The RP and Oliva are the same across the board. AJF and PdR are a literal gamble, only being able to chose the vitola. Alec Bradley is a bit different. You purchase the exact size you want. Most of the time, they only make one cigar in a particular size (e.g. 7x49, tempus only).

Also, I'll add any more that people post up on and ones when I get home and have a chance to really look at the websites.

NOTE: There are cigars here than I KNOW are a specific stick. There are a few that I?m unsure about. And then there are some that I have no idea what they could be. Some of the vitolas don?t match any ever made by a particular company (see the double corona below), but they taste exactly like another known vitola. I figured that they were the same, but I could be wrong.

Also, I will keep this list updated whenever I get another mazo, I am putting them in chronologically and by which site I used. Prices include shipping.

Cigars International
A.J. Fernandez Overruns ? 20 Large Figurado ? Lighter than the small figurados though 7.1" x 58 RG, $30

Cigar Bid
PdR Overuns ? 20 Robustos ? Flores y Rodriguez Cabinet Seleccion Habano 100%, $19
A.J. Fernandez Overruns ? 20 Small Figurado ? I don't know, Very dark wrapper (6" x 60 RG), either a diesel double perfecto or estd. 1844 no 60, $33

Nicaraguan Gordo 2nds-Nubs States which wrapper you order, the ring gauge, and whether its a torpedo or not
Gurkha overruns-Why would you even buy the firsts....But pick the wrapper and size
AJ Fernandez Overruns-Crap shoot, however you won't get any MoW line, they sell them separately. Can pick size, though.
Victor Sinclair Overruns-Won't get series 55, they sell them separately. Pick the size, but unknown other than that.
E.P. Carrillo 2nds-Pick the size. Have heard of people getting the inch from the 'Gordo' size, but nothing other than that
Man O' War 2nds-Can't get the ruinations, they sell them separately. However, can get the side projects if you're lucky.
Nicaraguan Sweets 2nd-Just appeared recently this month. Unknown to me. Pick the size
Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds- Cain line of cigars. Pick the group and size. More below.
Pleiades Overrun Cigars- I don't know anything about this company. Pick the size, though.
Rocky Patel X-outs-Large selection of RPs. Pick the group, size, and sometimes wrapper. More below.
Perdomo Mistakes-I have heard, though unconfirmed that they are Perdomo squared overruns. Pick between the two wrappers.

Famous Smoke

Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced/Cain Liga decoding. However, this is questionable. Take this section with a grain of salt
H-Habano
M-Maduro
D-Daytona

A-Edge/Edge Maduro
B-Sungrown
C-Olde World Reserve
D-Decade
View Quote

This is gold. Sent it to a couple buddies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cigars International

Cigar Bid

Famous Smoke

H-Habano
M-Maduro
D-Daytona

A-Edge/Edge Maduro
B-Sungrown
C-Olde World Reserve
D-Decade
View Quote

Wow great work, thank you!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seriously, get a few boxes of Nica Libre coronas.  They are tadty, and inexpensive.
View Quote

Ill definitely check them out, got a link?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Gents-

Doing CPR on this one as were closing in on the big day in September.

I've been popping onto CI every week to peruse and check out good deals which led to me thinking about storage if I find some sticks that I like. I don't have a humidor and wondering how long I can hold onto a few boxes without temperature controlled storage? Should I hold off until a few weeks before I need them or am I ok picking them up whenever the urge hits me and throwing them into the refrigerator until September?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#18]
You could always do a few 5 packs, get a small bodeva pack and toss them in a tupperware. That would be the easiest way to store them and you offer up some choices.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do a coolidor.  Maybe a 50qt size, for now.  Inexpensive, and fits your needs.  I think there is a sticky around here somewhere.
View Quote

While I have read over that thread a few times and am interested in building one someday unfortunately its not in the cards right now so I'm going to have to roll with what I've got.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You could always do a few 5 packs, get a small bodeva pack and toss them in a tupperware. That would be the easiest way to store them and you offer up some choices.
View Quote

This...simple and cheap way to keep the smokes gtg. Don't just leave them in a plastic bag until the big day. Or snag an MTM ammo can with the gasket and reuse after the wedding.

Also check out the Don Pepin and AJ samplers on CBid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top