Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2016 10:43:10 AM EDT
My shop is in Hialeah, friend came by with a box of Cohiba "Sublimes" that just came out of Cuba. I got what I believe to be a great deal on the box so I bought it. Mainly bought them for the good clients of mine who would like a few cigars as a gift, but I may try a few. I used to smoke a few cigars long ago, are these decent for a starter or too much?

Tell me about them as I know nothing.

Thanks,

Ray

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Fake!

Send them to me for proper disposal.

That way you dont get loved tenderly by the ATF.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you open the lid and smell a faint ammonia odor....they need to rest.

They will be well made and look very inviting but the nose will be your guide.

These are a current item available and they are offered in the box as pictured...retail is around $600...depending.

The humidor box is a neat item as well...sold in 24 count box this way.

View Quote
Thanks, appreciate the help. No ammonia smell from what I can tell just smells like tobacco.

What is the proper way to cut one of these? One of those that take a core out of the tip or the wedge type? or it is all preference?

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks, appreciate the help. No ammonia smell from what I can tell just smells like tobacco.

What is the proper way to cut one of these? One of those that take a core out of the tip or the wedge type? or it is all preference?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are a current item available and they are offered in the box as pictured...retail is around $600...depending.

Preference. If you want to really focus the flavors to the center of your tongue a punch is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#6]
If we want to buy true cubans from Cuba, we're limited to only $100.00 worth as of now under the new agreements IIRC
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]
So I'm guessing if $200 for the box of 24 cigars would be a good deal then, hypothetically speaking.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hypothetically yes....since it would be illegal to purchase them of course....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So I'm guessing $200 for the box of 24 cigars was a good deal then.  

Hypothetically yes....since it would be illegal to purchase them of course....
Of course
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Send me one OP.  I'll have one with you via FaceTime
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting. I was going to lean heavily toward fake.  If I recall correctly, Sublimes were a 2004 release and had a second EL band.

Perhaps OP can snap a shot up close of the band, however the ~$600 box I found online matching the one posted contains fakes.  

Do you have any info on regular production Sublimes?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The box I compared it to was from a legit Habanos dealer and looked identical the the OP's box.
I did not ask for closeups and or holo-band pics but they appeared to be the same.
Now we all have seen those glasstop humi's....fine quality stuff there......but Cohiba does produce high-end humidor boxes with a higher price tag.
As does RyJ and Party to name a few.
Do I have one??? No...and it's no secret that Cohiba is not my first choice but in this case, I believe that the OP scored a real nice box of authentic Cohiba fake cigars......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I was going to lean heavily toward fake.  If I recall correctly, Sublimes were a 2004 release and had a second EL band.

Perhaps OP can snap a shot up close of the band, however the ~$600 box I found online matching the one posted contains fakes.  

The box I compared it to was from a legit Habanos dealer and looked identical the the OP's box.
I did not ask for closeups and or holo-band pics but they appeared to be the same.
Now we all have seen those glasstop humi's....fine quality stuff there......but Cohiba does produce high-end humidor boxes with a higher price tag.
Do I have one??? No...and it's no secret that Cohiba is not my first choice but in this case, I believe that the OP scored a real nice box of authentic Cohiba fake cigars......

Not sure if your authentic Cohiba fake cigars wording is designed to avoid any legality issues with OPs purchase.

Since the Sublimes were Limited Editions with secondary bands only released in '04, this box seems much more likely to be a Chinese knock off:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/stock-Custom-design-luxury-spanish-cedar_60315654897/showimage.html

I'd link to the "Cuban" site with the six hundred dollar fake, but I don't want to cause any issue.

Unfortunately, no secondary band, not a Sublime.  

That said, OP might have some decent imitations on his hands, considering the lengths they went through to copy Cohiba.  I'd cut one open to check first.

Cheers,

Spenny

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not sure if your authentic Cohiba fake cigars wording is designed to avoid any legality issues with OPs purchase.

Since the Sublimes were Limited Editions with secondary bands only released in '04, this box seems much more likely to be a Chinese knock off:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/stock-Custom-design-luxury-spanish-cedar_60315654897/showimage.html

I'd link to the "Cuban" site with the six hundred dollar fake, but I don't want to cause any issue.

That said, OP might have some decent imitations on his hands, considering the lengths they went through to copy Cohiba.  I'd cut one open to check first.

Cheers,

Spenny

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers,

Spenny

Couple more pictures, they seem to be good quality.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Very interesting!  We're now entering full blown mystery territory.

This is curious indeed. Are they triple capped or could you snap a photo (again, if I'm inconveniencing, don't worry about it)?

I've never seen anything quite like these.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Very interesting!  We're now entering full blown mystery territory.

This is curious indeed. Are they triple capped or could you snap a photo (again, if I'm inconveniencing, don't worry about it)?

I've never seen anything quite like these.

View Quote
Yes Sir

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you for the photo, OP!

The construction on those sticks appears to be pretty spot on.  I'd posit that they are more than likely safe to smoke, and probably a decent smoke at that.

What you have is a box of fake Cohiba Sublimes (released once as a Limited Edition in 2004 with a second band), wearing an excellent forged or stolen post-2012 release band, in a Chinese box that is actually a lot nicer looking than most Cuban cigar boxes.  The triple cap on the cigar you snapped a photo of also looks very good.  The piece of paper included references a line of cigars (Siglo I - Siglo VI), of which the Sublimes were never released under.

Now, while that might seem discouraging, the rolling on these cigars is actually pretty impressive.  While the wrapper is toothy, it definitely looks like that triple-cap was done well.  There's chance these cigars might smoke just as well as another non-cuban of similar price.

For reference, here are a few photos of the Cohiba Sublime:

Cheers,

Spenny
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]
You can check them Here to see if they are legit...
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You are correct with the special release from 2004 but these are a new release, new holo-band and collector box.
The band sports the hologram and the new foil.
I will not post links but Google that cigar, select the images and jum over to the websites....not that hard to find them.

The cap is right, band is right, box is right, insert has the new language...like I said....looks good to me...

Now if he'll just share

View Quote

I can't tell if you're kidding or not.  These are fakes of non-existent cigars.  They look very nice.  But they aren't real.

If you're referring to the site which comes up when Googling "Cohiba Sublimes Humidor" and is selling this box for $595, it's fake and not even the same fakes OP received (on that site, it's old bands with punctured C's).  I'm happy to google whatever search terms you are using, however the photos that match the box and description that OP received are completely fake. No question.

OP's box is also missing the period after the a in Habanos s.a., and the uncentered holographic head on the band doesn't have the proper alternating swirl.

There is no new Sublimes release.  The last release of anything involving the Sublimes would be the Sublimes Extra 2008 "book" release.

Not trying to rain on your or OP's parade, merely trying to avoid him giving these out to people who may spot them as fakes and note that these may contain absolutely anything in them because they are fakes.  Nice looking, but who knows.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok here is the questions we all need to ask ourselves when we smoke a cigar like this or any cigar.......

Does it taste good? Do I like it?

Yes, and Yes.

Then who really cares.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok here is the questions we all need to ask ourselves when we smoke a cigar like this or any cigar.......

Yes, and Yes.

View Quote

While that's true, I've personally seen fake Cubans rolled with any number of "floor sweepings" in them, including human hair and pebbles.  These more than likely don't contain those things, however OP's stated goal was to hand these out to clients who like cigars.  I'm simply hoping to avoid him potential embarrassment.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
While that's true, I've personally seen fake Cubans rolled with any number of "floor sweepings" in them, including human hair and pebbles.  These more than likely don't contain those things, however OP's stated goal was to hand these out to clients who like cigars.  I'm simply hoping to avoid him potential embarrassment.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and Yes.

Ok.

OP smoke one and see if you find any hairs and such.

If you do then throw them away....

If you dont then pass them out.

I highly doubt that any average joe cigar smoker, myself included, is going to second guess if these are fake.

The only ones who will question it, are the Cuban cigar connoisseurs, but those are very far and few in between. Even then I would bet money they wont question if they are genuine or not.

Again I see that you are trying to avoid embarrassment to the OP but in reality who really, really knows if a Cuban cigar is fake or real anymore.

I can tell you no one does, because of the regulations in Cuban. I have read stories much like yours, including the theft of authentic bands and putting them on lesser quality cigars.

I think it would be safe to assume the 95% of so called "cubans" are fake anyways.

Just go by the band and as long as it tastes great , in the end it doesnt really matter.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Those are some great looking Cohiba counterfeits.  

I'm curious about the bands. They seem legit in your pics and was wondering if they're re-used or counterfeit.

If you look on the back of the band, each one should have a unique serial number towards the end.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Any more info on this? I'd love to see one dissected maybe? Closer pics of the bands?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Op, send me one for inspection!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top