Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2016 12:00:16 AM EDT
found a few messed up cigars, then I found a few beetles. I didnt know what to do so i lit up a few cigars.  They actually smoked really well.  Who's got experience with this and who can tell me what to do from here?>
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Take ALL your cigars and put them in zip lock bags.  Put just a few in each back.  Put the in the freezer for at least three days to kill the beetles.  Clean your humidor like it was the Hope Diamond.  Keep your fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take ALL your cigars and put them in zip lock bags.  Put just a few in each back.  Put the in the freezer for at least three days to kill the beetles.  Clean your humidor like it was the Hope Diamond.  Keep your fingers crossed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:46:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
This. Some people will make sure they suck all the air out of the bags and double bag everything (keeps moisture out), then they will put them in the fridge for a day as they thaw, then set them out for a day, then put them back in the humidor.

I did it that way when I had a beetle from a cigar that was given to me (rolled in the Bahamas) and got a beetle like 1.5 years later on a hot day and everything worked out well.

You should also clean out or replace your humidification device(s).

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:19:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I had good luck using dry ice inside humidor, the flash cooling and CO2 kills off my beetle infestation, but then, I have a cabinet humidor.
I still shed a few drop of tear , when I open my last box of ISOM Sanchos Sanchos, and all I see were the remains of wrappers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Does this happen to unwrapped cigars or can it happen to cigars still wrapped in cellophane? Haven't had this happen to me yet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It can happen to any cigar....they just need to be riding along...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does this happen to unwrapped cigars or can it happen to cigars still wrapped in cellophane? Haven't had this happen to me yet.

It can happen to any cigar....they just need to be riding along...
Yup and all of my new cigars except from a select few here (unless its a pass) I will take and freeze for a few days.
I can never be too sure.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Been a busy little few days. I appreciate the responses. I'll take all the cigars out of the humidor this weekend. Bag a few in baggies, freeze them over the weekend while I begin the cleaning process. Ugh. How frustrating but I know it's reparable. Thanks again for all the help guys!
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Decided to document my attempts to save my situation.

This is my box. There are many like it, but this one is mine.  This is the first humidor I ever purchased. It's super cheap. Been with me for several years, and almost as many moves, including 3 states.

This is my box after I emptied it out. The two remaining sticks were two of the worst victims.  They will be missed.  On the right is a xikar humidity canister to hopefully help lock this box back up to where it once was before moving and some previous wrappers that I keep to remind me which ones I've liked.

Here are my babies.  Some are just space keepers that I picked up to help keep the box at ~70*  The others are what they are. Some are meaningful, others are not, all are worth keeping.

Here are all of my sticks in their baggies and then in a larger gallon baggie.  I went ahead and pulled as much air out of the gallon Ziploc as i could with a straw and then placed them all in the fridge.  Ill keep them in there for a few hours before placing them in the freezer for a few days.

Not seen...

I went ahead and dismantled the box pictured above. soaked it in purified liquid made for humidors. Filled my xikar canister to the suggested line shut the lid and am now letting it sit over night.  Tomorrow I hope to take the box down to my trusted cigar shop here in Winter Park and see if it's worth resurrecting or if its time to part ways.

Thanks again for the help.

Ill keep you all updated as the weekend unravels.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#11]
This may sound crazy. But seal up the cigars very well and place them in the freezer for a few days. It will kill off the beetles.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This may sound crazy. But seal up the cigars very well and place them in the freezer for a few days. It will kill off the beetles.
View Quote

done and done!

ended up getting a new box. currently seasoning it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck with your beetle issue.......I think for us here in FL it can be more of an issue than for those living in the more northern states......we are just so hot & humid down here. It's a recipe for disaster.

Freezing everything is about the best thing you can do.......other than that all you can do is start a wineador, that way the temperature stays cooler and the beetles never get a chance to hatch.

Does anyone know how they deal with this at the factories? I know some cigars will sit for years on the shelf until they are boxed up. Are those rooms climate controlled or do they use some sort of chemical to keep the bugs away?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Keeping cigars below 70F I've read many places helps them to not hatch if eggs are riding along on the leaves.  I know we all shoot for 70/70 but  the articles had said to try and keep it more in the 60s temperature.  I guess that's why I've seen a lot more thread on the wine fridge cigar humidor setups.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#15]
My new humidor is still riding at 70/71*F. Should I be concerned?
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plenty of people swear by 70/70 with no issue.  From my perspective, the only concern there is that any upward fluctuation could net you prime hatching conditions.  All of my coolers and wineadors utilize 65% Boveda packs and sit at 64-65°.  Maintaining a lower relative humidity and a cooler temperature would likely provide some peace of mind for you.  You could also freeze incoming sticks to kill beetles/eggs.  

What humidification medium are you using?
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Plenty of people swear by 70/70 with no issue.  From my perspective, the only concern there is that any upward fluctuation could net you prime hatching conditions.  All of my coolers and wineadors utilize 65% Boveda packs and sit at 64-65°.  Maintaining a lower relative humidity and a cooler temperature would likely provide some peace of mind for you.  You could also freeze incoming sticks to kill beetles/eggs.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do 65% because that is how I like to smoke them. Never had a problem.

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top