Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 6:37:29 PM EDT
Title says it all really.  I haven't been smoking long enough to compare my opinions on very many cigars to those that review online, though I've found that I enjoy reading The Katman's reviews (and rock stories) and watching Cigar Obsession's reviews.

Thoughts and opinions?`
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Dr Joe Show - best cigar channel on the internet
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The ones I've tried from Cigar Aficionado recommendations, have all been pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I really don't look at em. I ask people that smoke how they like them when they try em. I also buy one or two to try on my own so I can formulate my own opinion.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
In SC where I had a great B&M I would usually make time to go in and buy a stick or two to smoke in the shop.  There were usually a few old timers or other knowledgeable smokers around.  Grab a seat and start a conversation.  That served me well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Leungken

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't read many in the past couple of years but when I did, the folks at halfwheel never let me down.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
CI seems to be fair.  Top 25 Cigar Reviews from private smokers seems to be ok also.  The problem with reviews from companies is that they NEED to sell cigars.  The higher end cigars sell themselves but the cheap cigars need some "promotional attention".  The bottom line is the bottom line.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Smoking hot cigar chick on youtube
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Try the cigar, then you make the call.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]
For CCs, I often check out Cigar Inspector.  They don't have a review of every one, but they have pretty objective
reviews plus most of them have comments after the reviews.  And as far as I can tell, they advertise shops, not
particular brands.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Funny thing is when either of the shops I frequent gets something new they ask me if I've tried it and if not I usually get it for free or at a discount.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In SC where I had a great B&M I would usually make time to go in and buy a stick or two to smoke in the shop.  There were usually a few old timers or other knowledgeable smokers around.  Grab a seat and start a conversation.  That served me well.
View Quote

This is the right way. Unless the guys are smoking Gurkha... then you can ignore them.

What shop did you frequent in SC?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is the right way. Unless the guys are smoking Gurkha... then you can ignore them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boda Pipes in Greenville and later Outman Cigar and Martini Bar.  Had a friend who Bar tended at Outman for a while and would frequent that place with buddies more often before I moved a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Try the cigar, then you make the call.

View Quote

Oh, absolutely this.  However, when you're on the market for something new, it's nice to be able to pull up someone's review to look for something you will probably enjoy and then form your own opinion on it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

this.

i follow aficionado also.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

I don't follow them because their top 10's are by sales.

There's a website I don't remember off the top of my head but they have some pretty good reviews.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
When I'm interested in a box of something I haven't tried before, I'll do a bit of research first.  There's lots of review sites and I'll try to read reviews from multiple sources to get an overall idea of what's going on.  You'll also want to pay attention to the review date and box date if it's provided...  If they're reviewing a cigar that's been aged for 10 years, it's going to be a huge difference to a fresh box that's less than a year old.

Also, join a cigar specific forum and just ask.  If you get in with a good group of guys, many times you'll have people offering to send you a cigar or two to try before you pull the trigger on a box.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For CCs, I often check out Cigar Inspector.  They don't have a review of every one, but they have pretty objective
reviews plus most of them have comments after the reviews.  And as far as I can tell, they advertise shops, not
particular brands.
View Quote

Cigar Inspector was my first thought also. Friend of Habanos is both interesting and amusing when it comes to reviewing Cubans. Halfwheel is a pretty good news / information / reviews site, as is Cigargeeks. Cigars Review looks interesting but I can't vouch for it. I'm pretty skeptical of Cigar Aficionado due to their affiliation with industry marketing and the way they review smokes (they often do not even smoke the first third before moving on). There are many cigar forums that are pretty good too, such as Cigar Family, BOTL, and others.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#21]
ive always liked Cigar Ob reviews.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I've sort of bit my tongue on this one but what the hell...

Ok, my issue is how closely the most excellent reviews lean to the company that buys the most advertising.

It's been like this for years.

Too many times I pulled a stick off the shelf, paid good money trusting on a high rating or stellar review only to send it flying off the deck in utter disgust.

Or...found a stick that was fantastic from a lesser known that gets no love at all.

We have all commented on the decline of a few well known names or first hand tried a two-fer (like a recent Ghurka....should have know better) post and almost gagged due to the nastiness it brought.

I read them...

I pick up the sticks, roll them in my fingers, give them a good smell...

Then...if I am still interested, I MIGHT buy one to smoke.

And if it's a Ghurka, Nat Sherman or Rocky...it will REALLY have to impress me...

Sorry for you fan boys...I have been let down WAY too many times.

Echo
View Quote

That sounds good, but people like me don't have a local B&M store. The nearest one now (ONE) is 1-1/2 hours away so ....

I watch/read a few and try to find what is similar to stuff I like. Certain brands I have no interest in AT ALL regardless of the review like Ghurka. From the amount that CI/Cbid puts on sale they probalby give these away like candy to reviewers as well.

Since I don't have a local B&M store I order a fair amount of samplers. Maybe by brand, sometimes CI does samplers of different brands and I'll order one and see what I like.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
tell ya one thing, i don't trust anyone who drinks hipster beer.  

Seriously????

PBR is not hipster beer.  Can't be, it predates the hipster by 100 yrs.

Besides, I got a case of Iron City residing in the fridge now.

Well for a couple days anyway

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#24]
One of the places I use the most to see what is good to smoke is our very own "what are you smoking" thread. If you see many people smoking the same cigar.....it's probably a pretty good one.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Reviews are really tough because our flavor profile preferences are so different, so I would only really look for notes on construction, draw, and generally how full flavored it is.  I don't trust aficionado at all because I know industry folks that say there is a ton of "buying to the top".

I am lucky to have a cigar shop here in Dallas whose owner is extremely knowledgeable and honest so I just ask him :-)    
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#26]
All Cigars taste like, Smoke.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Should tast like tobacco. Some of they stuff they put in some reviews leaves me wondering why you even think of that as something to stick in your mouth? I would never equate a cigar taste to some of the stuff I see mentioned. They make it sound like potpourrii, which I have never tasted either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Should tast like tobacco. Some of they stuff they put in some reviews leaves me wondering why you even think of that as something to stick in your mouth? I would never equate a cigar taste to some of the stuff I see mentioned. They make it sound like potpourrii, which I have never tasted either.
View Quote
Totally agree with this, too much wine-snob-itis idiocy in the reviews.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Desert Smoke Reviews on YouTube.  

Definitely NOT pretentious or ordinary commentary....on everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top