Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 1:56:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magoo6541]

I didn't see any repair guides yet so I thought I'd make this up.

To start off with, this method may NOT completely repair a cracked wrapper.  It depends mostly on where the crack is on the cigar.  If the crack is on the body or the foot, this will prevent the crack from spreading up the wrapper if the cigar begins to swell a bit when smoked.  If the crack is on the head, it will repair it to the point where it will allow you to smoke a cigar that might otherwise be unsmokable.  If you're a wet smoker, your saliva will break this pectin down.  In the case illustrated below, the cigar might have unraveled once the head was cut.  This repair allowed me to cut the head and begin smoking without any problems.

So you've discovered that one of your cigars has a cracked wrapper. This can happen in a couple different ways. For me, it seems to happen more often when you order cigars that come in slide lid boxes also known as cabinets. It shouldn't be a common occurrence and if it is, you should probably look for another vendor. To lower your odds, you should ask that the box be opened and inspected by the vendor. I, however, like the idea of being the first person to break the seal and see, touch and smell the cigars since they left the manufacture so I generally ask that my boxes remain sealed. The only time I request that they be inspected is if the box is older than 2 years old. Why 2 years? I have no idea. It's just a number that I came up with.

So, why not just take the cigar back to the shop? If you got it at a B&M, that is an option. But if you've left the store, there's a decent chance they'll tell you to pound sand. If it's just 1 or 2 cigars from a box, to me, it would just be easier to fix the cigars and smoke them and not bother with returning the box for an exchange. If the entire box is damaged, then I would certainly contact the vendor and setup an exchange.

What you need: Cigar Glue

You can buy

Or make your own.

Notice the very small amount of water in the bottle cap.  Mix in a little of the fruit pectin with the water in the bottle cap.  You don't need much but you'll want it to completely dissolve.  I don't bother measuring.  If it won't dissolve, just at a touch more water.  It'll be a gel like consistency and clear.  I usually just use my finger but you might find a toothpick to be handy.

You can find fruit pectin in any grocery store around the canning section.

Here is the problem cigar:  Cracked head through the caps and a fairly severe crack at the foot.  The problem here is the crack at the foot is likely to spread up the cigar as it's smoked. Cutting the head would likely cause the crack to spread and the cigar will begin to unravel since the crack goes through the caps.

Again, if you try and cut the head of this cigar, more than likely the crack will spread down the cigar and since the cap is already split and the cigar will immediately begin to unravel.  That is no bueno and ruins the experience of the cigar.  If you do move forward to smoking without addressing the cracked foot, there's a chance of the cigar swelling a little and the crack spreading up the cigar as you smoke.  Again, that's no good.

So you just dip your finger in the pectin gel (or toothpick or whatever tool you want to use), and spread some of the pectin gel over the crack.  If you can get some under the crack between the wrapper and binder, that's preferable but if not, don't force it.

Just leave the cigar out and allow just a few minutes to dry.  I let this one sit for around 30 minutes.

I didn't take a picture of the foot because I didn't attempt to glue the gap closed.  My goal was only to prevent it from getting worse.

Here it is cut.  For those who care I used a Xikar Xi3.  The important thing here is the wrapper and caps stayed together and aren't falling apart.  That was the main goal.

Here you will notice that the cracked foot did not spread up the cigar.  Also, my saliva is starting to break down the pectin glue.  Again, this repair has it's limitations but we're still good.  (ARFCOM obligatory feet in the picture)

Here's the last picture.  It was only around this point where the head was starting to come apart to the point where it was unmanageable.  I was able to simply slide the band up a little to hold everything together for the last 10 minutes or so before I laid it down.

That's it.  Easy peasy.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the write up...good info, and who doesn't like pictures.

Was that from the cab you just got?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By srob7001:

Thanks for the write up...good info, and who doesn't like pictures.

Was that from the cab you just got?
View Quote

It is.  I didn't look at every cigar but it looks like that was the only cigar with a cracked head.  A couple more have damaged feet but that's no biggie to me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Thank you, sir!  Out of a 3 pack of RyJ Short Churchills, 2 of them were pretty jacked up.  I'll have to go get some
pectin to get 'em in fit smokin' condition.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]
great post!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Haha it's a sticky sticky - get it?    Thanks again, Magoo.  Just in the two cigars I mentioned earlier you're saving
me quite a few bucks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:28:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magoo6541] [#8]
No worries guys.  

There's other purpose made products available as well.  I've read about cigar glues before.  Let me see what I can find real quick.

Updated with link for commercial cigar glue in the OP
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#9]
This is bullshit complete and utter bullshit.  This didn't tell me how to bring back a cigar thats turned to ash...

Good write up, I may have to pick some up next time I'm at the store.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Great post, thank you!

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a cracked wrapper which prevented me from getting a draw.  I was out camping so I had to make due with cutting the cellophane wrapper and using it like a sleeve.  I continued to trim the wrapper as I went along, and it got me past the crack.  My buddies called it the sucking chest wound field repair.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
awesome right up,appreciate the info

i have a few high $$ and high quality cigars i have been saving for special occasions
a couple have cracks at the heads,this info will make them smokeable once again
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:04:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rugerlvr] [#13]
So... Can you do it mid smoke?  Because that's when I usually find out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:
So... Can you do it mid smoke?  Because that's when I usually find out.
View Quote
I just use a little spit and pat them down.  It's not like you're don't already have some on the head.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks will use this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top