Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2015 12:27:18 AM EDT
Serious question.  I've never smoked one.  I was looking at them on the interwebs and saw a lot of high priced cigars.  $15 - $30 per stick was common.  

So, let me ask, what makes a $20 Cuban stick better than a $20 Nicaraguan stick?  Is it mystique or is it real?  If I'm paying that much, it better be f'n good regardless of country of origin.  Why choose one over the other?

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It is difficult to buy them here? just a guess. Tobacco for Dominican Republic cigars is  grown in similar soil under similar conditions, in fact cigars grown just about anywhere in the Caribbean should be pretty much the same if the tobacco is grown from the same seeds, and the outer layer is aged the same. Same conditions, same soil, same amount of sunlight same cigars except for the whole illegal thing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
They're illegal...so of course people want them.

Forbidden fruit and all.

Thanks to 0bama, I guess they'll be legal here shortly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]

I deleted my story.

They are good, but you can get a similar legal experience for $8 at most cigar shops.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#5]
As I understand it - [airquote] Supposedly [/airquote] they were a combination of a superior variety of tobacco, top-shelf aging, and mastery-level rolling skills - of course all before the "revolution". How much of what I've heard is correct or factual? No clue.

Now that the rest of the cigar world has had time to catch up in quality and techniques - and given that Cuba has been basically stagnant (since the 60's), if not regressed in many industries - I'd bet what comes out of there now is not that good and/or only a shadow of its former glory.

We'll see. I'd still like to try one a few to have for comparison, but I won't be going out of my way to really get my hands on a box.

Edit: Assuming of course that they will soon be legal again...
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps they gained some of their historical notoriety before you could get comparable smokes from the DR ?   Either way, nowadays, it seems to be the forbidden fruit rationale
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Their the best, the soil and conditions give the tobacco a scent and taste like no other in the world. Many can argue about the ones in made in the DR, PR or any other caribbean country but it's just not the same.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I have only ever smoked one. It wasn't overwhelming, but had a good thick smoke. To me it was the perfect golfing cigar.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:38:12 AM EDT
[#9]
There's a distinctive taste to the CCs that I have not noticed in non-CCs (including the Cuban first seed tobaccos grown outside of Cuba). That distinctive taste is supposedly a bi-product of Cuba's soil but that has to do with taste which itself is subjective to the person smoking the cigar.

You can get high quality cigars for under $10 that are skillfully blended and rolled to provide great taste, draw and burn. For those, I look at the boutique brands such as Tatuaje, Arturo Fuento and Crowned Heads. Smoking a cigar is all about the experience and although I like certain CCs, they could never replace some of my favorite cigars from the boutiques I mentioned earlier.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I've smoked 2-3 Cubans, I've been generally under whelmed by them.
They have good flavor and smoke but not the bold type of smoke that I like.
I'd rather smoke a Liga Privada Feral Pig or UF13 than spend 25 dollars on a Cohiba or Davidoff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I had several boxes of them that I bought in the French PX in Sarajevo in 2001.  Cost me about $1.25 a piece.  We could not bring back legally.  The Diplomatic Officer from DOS bought a bunch and brought back in his pouch.
We smoked quite a few.  They are good cigars.  Probably lots of high quality cigars as good.

I don't smoke much, but I can say I did smoke a few of those.  

Remains to be seen if they come back in the US legally.  I suppose they will.  They will just be another cigar.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I know a guy that has had all of the classic ISOMs that people think of when they think Cubans, all well aged. As well as a lot of the great cigars available from other countries.

The ISOMs have a unique flavor to them, the tobacco is very spicy, and while that spice can be found in other tobaccos, it is just different. Not better or worse necessarily.

Best cigar he has ever had was Dominican.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Serious question.  I've never smoked one.  I was looking at them on the interwebs and saw a lot of high priced cigars.  $15 - $30 per stick was common.  

So, let me ask, what makes a $20 Cuban stick better than a $20 Nicaraguan stick?  Is it mystique or is it real?  If I'm paying that much, it better be f'n good regardless of country of origin.  Why choose one over the other?

View Quote

One reason Cubans cigars are so special here because they are the forbidden fruit for Americans.  Difficult to purchase, expensive, because of the extra money we have to pay for them, and the myths associated with forbidden fruits.
Individual flavor, yes, primary because tobacco is a crop, and it affected by the seed, weather, and soil, which Cuba have a pretty unique combination.  Another location that have similar weather and soil is Hawaii, but they would rather grow weed there.
Just like any produce, there can be good Cuban cigars and bad Cuban cigars, one particular issue with Cubans is plugged or difficult draw.
I would say, a Cuban branded Cuban cigar will be way better than the Nic, or DR made Cuban branded non-Cuban cigar.
As for non-Cubans like Fuente, Pardron, Oliva, Davidoff...etc, they hold their value and market.
Seriously, Cuban cigars at legit sites are not that expensive, a lot of times you are paying for the local tobacco tax.  Understand, in some countries, 100 to 200% tobacco taxes are common.  Rumor has it, In Spain, cigar are priced controlled, so that should be the starting point.

Look at CI, the top Cigar of the year are not always Cuban, as a matter of fact, for the last decade or so, they are more non-Cubans being cigar of the year than Cubans.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Cubans are just like Non Cubans. There is good and bad. Some are worth while, some aren't.

In the end Cuba has always been known for their cigars due to the climate and soil being just about perfect for growing and storing.

My stash is probably about 33% CC and 66% NC. I love them both.

Many CCs are actually MORE affordable than NCs. People who talk about them being over priced are probably buying in Canada

Edit: The only CC's I bought that cost me $20 each were BHK 52s and 54s. Almost everything else is in the $5-12 range.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't smoke enough to find a noticeable quality gap between my CC and NC cigars.  But that isn't to say I'm not looking forward to the one I was just gifted!
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their the best, the soil and conditions give the tobacco a scent and taste like no other in the world. Many can argue about the ones in made in the DR, PR or any other caribbean country but it's just not the same.
View Quote
I had a Cuban refugee explain it to me like this. These cigars have their distinctive flavor since they're grown in fields fertilized with the blood of martyrs for freedom.

Let your conscious be your guide in supporting a repressive Communist tyranny.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had a Cuban refugee explain it to me like this. These cigars have their distinctive flavor since they're grown in fields fertilized with the blood of martyrs for freedom.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bravo, very well put, I think I'll be satisfied with my Dominican cigars.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I've always heard the secret is in the Cuban soil, combined with superior growing conditions....
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#20]
They plant sugar cane and after the harvest plant the tobacco crop.  The result is a tobacco that has a taste of cane.  We call this a "molasses"  flavor although in some cigars i've smoked a strong cane flavor is up front.  NOT necessarily a sugary sweet but cane flavor.  Of course that technique can be used by any tobacco grower so....??  Soil chemistry, sun, moon, stars...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Flavor, and the fact that you're doing something illegal but burning the evidence

Or so I've heard...

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I prefer the "twang".  its mostly personal preference.  I fell hard for the dark side.  but I also enjoy non Cubans too.
View Quote

I agree....the twang is what sets them apart.

The Flores y Rodriguez Cabinet Seleccion is the closest to a Cuban, in the twang department, I have found that isn't a Cuban.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not supporting any communist regime, I've never bought a Cuban cigar. They've been given to me. Bacardi is still one of the best rums, also from Cuba but restablished in Puerto Rico. I'm a proud Cuban, doesn't mean I have a Che' shirt.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Generally, well seasoned cigar smokers would agree that Cuba doesn't necessarily make the best cigars.  However, the best cigar you'll ever have, was made in Cuba.

So...  There's the forbidden fruit factor, the flavor and quality factor along with the value factor.

The forbidden fruit has already been talked about.  Whatever isn't available is talked about and there's all the talk and myths.  Everyone wants to try one to find out what it's really all about and partially because you're not supposed to have them.  Unfortunately, this is what supports the counterfeit market.  A lot of Americans that talk about tasteless crap Cuban cigars that aren't worth the hype, most likely had a fake.

The flavor of habanos are just different.  There's sweet coffee flavors to nutty to grass or hay or even a barnyard quality.  They can also be spicy and twangy.  It can be hard to accurately describe some of the flavors and aromas that come from these but they're wonderful when experienced.  The current production of habanos are the absolute best that there has been.  From the tobacco itself to the quality control that came with Altadis S.A. acquiring 50% of Habanos S.A.

Depending on where you buy, most habanos are much cheaper than the comparable Nicaraguan, Honduran, or Dominican cigar.  Comparable as in their premium offerings.  IE, the Padron 1926 #1 is around $25 or so.  For $25, you can pretty much have your choice of any of the top habanos from Cohiba Behikes, Esplendidos, Lanceros and Siglos to all of the Limited Editions, Regional Editions and La Casa Del Habano releases and finally the Trinidad Fundadores.  With most of those cigars, you'll get change back from your $25.  Most of the average habanos are around $8 for a Robosto and around $5 for a Petit Carona.  You're not going to get any premium US market cigar for that money.

My $.02
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Only some Cubans are good, most are average. When you travel to Cuba the best cigars are sold at the gov stores. The ones with the same name sold by "colectivas" at a discount are fakes. The fakes are not that bad, but you have to buy the originals for the good ones. My personal favorites are the Montecristo #2 and the Romeo and Julietas
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#26]
One, it is the mystic of the cigars.  Two the ones I had the oppourtunity to smoke them outside the US. I have notice the blend and flavor are different from the legal cousins. And last, it is from Cuba.

I can wait until the Castro brothers are gone for good.  Not what FBHO is doing for Cuban relations.

My preference is the R&J cendero #2.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#28]

OMG!!!The End of the Embargo Could Kill Miami's Cuban Cigar Industry

Up in Smoke
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Is it what Winston Churchill supposedly said about how they are rolled on the thighs of young Cuban women?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Let's see...I 'm not a smoker but when I went to the Caribbean I had (1) every night, Between that and the local beer I was in heaven. Even my wife was puffing on a few without coughing.

Cubans are very smooth and worth buying what ever the price is,

I'm fortunate to have workers from Cuba and Dominic that leave and bring back Rum and Cigars. I get them free for being a great boss.

Caribbean trip...with SANDS beer.

http://<ahttp://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/mkgarms/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20140328_183706_zpsba1xt8aq.jpg</a>" />

and NOW in the states

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/mkgarms/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20150220_175452_zpsf0grn9vf.jpg

href=http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/mkgarms/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20150220_181045_zpsz3qgepty.jpg" />

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Let's see...I 'm not a smoker but when I went to the Caribbean I had (1) every night, Between that and the local beer I was in heaven. Even my wife was puffing on a few without coughing.

I'm fortunate to have workers from Cuba and Dominic that leave and bring back Rum and Cigars. I get them free for being a great boss.

http://<a href=http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/mkgarms/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20140328_183706_zpsba1xt8aq.jpg</a>" />

and NOW in the states

<a href="http://s614.photobucket.com/user/mkgarms/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20150220_175452_zpsf0grn9vf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/mkgarms/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20150220_175452_zpsf0grn9vf.jpg</a>

http://<a href=http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/mkgarms/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20150220_181045_zpsz3qgepty.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

That first Cohiba is fake, band way too loose and sloppy,  and the second is also a "fake" from the DR. Cuban Cohiba doesn't have a #2, only the Pyramid, and that is not it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/mkgarms/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20140328_183706_zpsba1xt8aq.jpg</a>" />
and NOW in the states

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/mkgarms/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20150220_175452_zpsf0grn9vf.jpg

http://<a href=http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/mkgarms/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/20150220_181045_zpsz3qgepty.jpg</a>" />

View Quote
They certainly could have been good, and perhaps even really made in Cuba, but those are fakes (most likely) or factory take homes or run aways (hopefully).

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't pat yourself on the back too much unless you actually know what you're trying to brag about.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Don't pat yourself on the back too much unless you actually know what you're trying to brag about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup fake as the day is long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top