Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2014 11:24:59 PM EDT
Just went into my humidor to pick out a few cigars for tomorrow night.  I don't think I have ever been so shocked.....almost sickened.  Evidently my commercial humidifier instead of cutting off at 70% went wide open.  The first thing I saw was an old Diamond Crown humidor that was falling apart.  As I looked around it dawned on me every cigar I could see was soaked and swollen.  
I unplugged the humidifier and set a high speed fan to blow outside air into the room.  I can't even look again tonight.  Probably 20 boxes of Cuban Montecristo No.2, about the same number of Partagas Serie D #4, at least 125 or so more boxes of premium cigars.  A few will be spared by the fact that they were in an end table closed humidor that stayed in the humidor.  It holds the best of the best.
I'll check it one more time before I go to bed then assess the total damage tomorrow.  I'm guessing 95% of the cigars in that room are ruined, most of them are at least 3 years old and some 8-10 years.  Fuck!
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
This will require pics unfortunately.

Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude... That's horrible. I am sorry, but I need to see pics of this
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
In for pics of the carnage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, talk about royal suckage!
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuck man.  Wonder if insurance or some warranty from the humidor co would cover that?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, insurance will cover. The pictures would be sickening for a cigar lover.  If I was smart enough to post a picture I would but some of you would cry.  It's a horrible sight.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for your loss. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know if I would claim the ISOM'S on the insurance...
Might not want your name on any official paperwork with that many in possession.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Homeowner's won't cover Cubans.  I don't they could tell they are from pictures but an astute adjuster will catch the Habanos bands and boxes. That's going to be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
if coverage applies you are going to have to do a proof of loss statemen describing damaged items, price etct.  Any adjuster is going to deny based on exclusion for illegal acts.

I would not even try to claim them.

But I'm paranoid, living up here on the mountain & all...damn revenuers

I am thinking no coverage anyway.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a 20 year collection in a walk-in humidor so even without the Cubans it will be a sizeable claim. I loaded up at the Fuente store in Caesars Forum Shops last summer to top it off.   State Farm argued for a minute today that a humidifier didn't constitute actual water damage.  That argument died fast and they are going to pay.  "Like a good neighbor" my ass.  

I'll list some of the good stuff later.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:43:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad to hear they are taking care of you.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#14]
After screwing around for weeks they are now talking about depreciating them 35%.   I said that since the average age of the cigars in there were easily 10 years I was thinking about at least 35% appreciation!  This is going to be a battle.  I have not talked to a single person at State Farm that knows the slightest thing about fine cigars.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]

That is absolutely terrible!  I can't imagine having a collection like that and then it all gets destroyed.  I'd be sick.

I'd be interested in seeing the pictures if you're so inclined.

Good luck with the everything and hopefully you'll figure out a way to count the habanos in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
What brand humastat?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is absolutely terrible!  I can't imagine having a collection like that and then it all gets destroyed.  I'd be sick.

I'd be interested in seeing the pictures if you're so inclined.

Good luck with the everything and hopefully you'll figure out a way to count the habanos in.
View Quote

The pictures would make you cringe in pain.  I can email a couple to you...too stupid to post pictures.  I'll go look at the brand...something German....for reliability!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Hydro-fogger and humidistat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe you need your own appraisal, to counter their adjuster?  And then lump the cost of the appraiser into your claim.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe you need your own appraisal, to counter their adjuster?  And then lump the cost of the appraiser into your claim.
View Quote

How do I locate a cigar appraiser?  The depreciation idea is idiotic.  It is not hard for them to find out that premium cigars age, they don't depreciate.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How do I locate a cigar appraiser?  The depreciation idea is idiotic.  It is not hard for them to find out that premium cigars age, they don't depreciate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find a tobaconist. or someone that has been working in a cigar shop for a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top