Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2014 1:11:50 PM EDT
In January, my wife and I are expecting our first child, a son, and I would like to buy some cigars to pass out for the occasion.  I am not a regular cigar smoker, and have virtually no experience picking out nice cigars.  I would like to get something nice though, because some of the people I will be giving them to are more regular cigar smokers.  There are a number of options I am considering, but I would love some input from experienced folks.  

I would like to stay under $200 total, but could be convinced to go higher if it makes a big difference, and 20-25 good cigars should be enough, but it is hard for me to count how many.

I have also considered getting a box of Arturo Fuente Brevas "It's a Boy" marked for people who aren't likely to smoke them or care about quality.  That way I would have more to hand out, and not have to spend more money for people who wouldn't appreciate the difference.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I wouldn't spend a whole lot especially since most would not really appreciate a higher end stick anyway.

Those that are regular cigar smokers will likely all have different tastes so no matter what you give, you'd never be able to please everyone.

If it were me I'd be honored to receive whatever you gave me as it's to celebrate a special occasion in your life.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It's going to be hard to find one everyone likes. You should just get the "It's a boy" not to smoke but as a memento of the birth.

Congrats
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
MonteCristos work pretty well. They may not be the top choice of a regular cigar smoker but they go well with almost anyone and they will likely smoke with someone who may like them. Just an idea.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Sound advice above.

I handed out el cheapo bundle cigars from the mail order place to people that don't normally smoke.  I saved the nice ones for the guys I knew would know the difference.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Hurry and buy them now.

We just had our daughter, 19DEC, wasn't due till 25JAN. I waited to buy any and now don't have a chance to get out with her being in NICU and going with my wife every three hours to try and feed. Little girl is doing good though.

When are y'all due?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice so far, it makes sense to me.  I have already probably waited longer than i should, my wife is due January 26, but has already had some signs that we may not make it to that date.

StevenMikel, i hope you guys are all doing well!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You can always buy Flor De Oliva's.  A cheap stick that don't taste too bad.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can always buy Flor De Oliva's.  A cheap stick that don't taste too bad.
View Quote

Agreed, I smoke these by the bundle while hunting behind the dogs guiding clients. I don't mind handing them out or watching them get pitched if they don't like them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, it turns out that I didn't have as much time as i thought.  We are in the hospital today, and my wife is in labor early.  I made a quick decision and went for a box of My Father No. 1 and a box of Arturo Fuente Brevas "It's a Boy." I got a deal that brought both to a pretty good price.  I really appreciate the advice you guys gave, and I have added some of the suggestions to my list of things to try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top