Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2014 1:16:25 PM EDT
How long will it take for the Cubans to get back up to speed?  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think at least a couple of planting seasons.

A crop can only make so many cigars. I do not expect the prices will be less than the "grey market" sellers that ship into the US.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Never. You aren't going to bring back the people who are making good money in less oppressive countries now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I was under the impression that Cubans are going full tilt selling to China and Europe?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-17/cuban-cigars-why-obama-s-new-policy-won-t-mean-a-new-flood-of-cohibas-from-havana.html

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
By back up to speed I didn't mean numbers.  Their construction has fallen way off.  There was a "brain drain" along with a current lack of motivation.  Know how and desire to excel are two key ingredients.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

By back up to speed I didn't mean numbers.  Their construction has fallen way off.  There was a "brain drain" along with a current lack of motivation.  Know how and desire to excel are two key ingredients.
View Quote
I don't think it will take to long, maybe 5-10 years.  The influx of tourists and good ole American cold, hard cash will see to that.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Initial US demand may knock a dent in supply, after that i bet they can keep up.
As far as production goes, they have been supplying the "other" 6 billion people while the US has been sitting out all these years.

eta: construction issues? I don't have enough experience to comment
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Initial US demand may knock a dent in supply, after that i bet they can keep up.
As far as production goes, they have been supplying the "other" 6 billion people while the US has been sitting out all these years.

eta: construction issues? I don't have enough experience to comment
View Quote

But Americans for the most part have more cash to burn than most of the rest of the world, and anything that
was illegal before suddenly becoming legal draws people who wouldn't normally do it just because of the
novelty.  If they're suddenly legal in the US, demand will spike through the roof which might end up causing a
situation similar to the demand for .22 ammo.  It could be a self-feeding frenzy where people stockpile when
they're available.  But of course all of this hinges on whether or not the embargo is lifted.  If it is, it will be
interesting to watch it all play out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#9]
No shit....

I will for the first time ever follow our fearless leaders example
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#11]
If real Cubans start hitting the shelves I'll try one even though I quit smoking last month. I may have had one a few years ago - my wife's cousin works commercial construction. He worked with a guy from Colombia and called me one day to come by the job site and pick up a Cuban cigar that the Colombian guy had just brought from vacation back home. I picked it up and brought it home. It was in a baggie - I thought it probably would be dry, but when I took it out it wasn't. It was the size of a toro (5 1/2 X 50) but had a torpedo head. So, I clipped it to try the draw, which was good. Meanwhile, it was early afternoon, my usual smoke time, so I said what the hell and fired that mother up. I'll never forget it; perfect draw, great strong taste, perfect burn, perfect everything. It had no band, of course. Seemed to be a Maduro wrapper, maybe Ligero filler. Wrapper was veiny. Construction was excellent - no unwrapping, no tobacco bits in the mouth, perfect burn and ash. So, I don't know, but if that was an 'every day' Cuban, and they start coming in again, I think the crap you find in the stores now is in big trouble. I'll also be in trouble because I don't know if I can stay on the wagon with those things available.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#13]
embargo was lifted here today
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
You better believe that the companies down there are also going to start raising prices, they know silly Americans will over pay.

It's like the ammo/gun panic buying, everyone will want them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top