Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2014 8:29:41 PM EDT
Moved over from cigars to pipe about 6 months ago and I'm loving it, I do have a question though. No matter how I pack and tamp the last 1/4 of my bowl is un-smokable, the tobacco toward the end is always very damp. Its this way with every pipe I have and every tobacco ive tried. Is it normal or am I drooling into my pipe or something.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mostly smoke aromatics?  They always seem more moist than English blends.

One thing you could try is setting out a bowl's worth of tobacco to dry for a while prior to packing/smoking.  
You'll probably have to experiment with the length of drying time, but that might be a starting point.  Someone
more experienced might be able to offer some better advice.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you mostly smoke aromatics?  They always seem more moist than English blends.

One thing you could try is setting out a bowl's worth of tobacco to dry for a while prior to packing/smoking.  
You'll probably have to experiment with the length of drying time, but that might be a starting point.  Someone
more experienced might be able to offer some better advice.

Good luck!
View Quote

This is good advice. I have found that smoking a freshly opened tin or package of tobacco will result in excessive moisture even with flake. I will normally buy in bulk and leave mine to age somewhat. This will give time for the casing to dry somewhat. If it is a cake or flake then I will rub it out and let stand for a bit before packing and tamping. Aeromatics tend to be more heavily cased therefore contain more moisture. these too I let dry some proir to smoking.

If you are experieincing problems with gurgling, try to pack a smaller bowl, and/or not to puff the pipe too franticly. Slow gentle sips, will keep the ember lit, keep toungue bite away, and help with gurgling. My mouth waters quite a bit so I have to be aware that keeping the bit deep in my mouth will generally ensure that I will introduce saliva into my stem. Because I do this frequently I keep a soft pipe cleaner handy to quickly soak up any moisture.

When lighting the bowl a big charring light followed by a short rest and tamp will allow the bowl to light and stay lit if the tobacco is overly moist. Don't be afraid to rest and let the ember go out, a quick relight will refresh it and allow the delight to continue. Many folks who transistion from cigars or cigarettes expect deep, volumous plumes of smoke out of their pipe. While this is visually appealing the bus to flavortown gets missed. The deep tugs on the bowl builds much heat in the bowl and the subtle nuances of the tobacco are missed. Easy sips as if from a straw yields the best and more flavorful smoke from pipe as the moisture is allowed to burn away rather than being routed to the stem where it can condensate or worse through the bit and inflict the dreaded toungue-bite.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top